I need resources to write up raid strategies. Help!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

I need resources to write up raid strategies. Help!

Postby Sànguinius » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:29 am

Here is my situation:

I am currently the raid leader of my guild and with cataclysm around the corner I am in need of insight to the newer raids. My plan is to do a small strategy write up on each boss in my guild's forums so all of my members can be prepared for the raids as soon as we are 85.

So my question to Maintankadin is where can I find information and strategies on the new raids? The more references I can use the better so keep them coming!

Also Chinzilla is the new name for Deathwing. Pass it on.
"The man who knows why, will always be better than the man who knows how."
Sànguinius

Re: I need resources to write up raid strategies. Help!

Postby Malthrax » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:03 am

Probably going to have to wait a few weeks to get any real raid strategies going, unless you're willing to go in blind and learn the fights as you go. Most of the "top tier" guilds - the ones who actually come up with the published strategies - have a "STFU DAMMIT" policy re: tactics, at least until after the first handful of kills.

Not like Ensidia or Premonition or ST*RS is going to risk their world-firstage by providing us dregs with handy clues and helpful insights before the fight even starts.
Malthrax

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:33 am

You'll almost certainly find plenty of strategies/information on this forum when people start running the new raids.
Belloc

Postby Senador » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 am

Not like Ensidia or Premonition or ST*RS is going to risk their world-firstage by providing us dregs with handy clues and helpful insights before the fight even starts.

I suspect that it is not the animosity thing that is implied here, more so a general guild strategy.

Honestly, you can usually come up with some reasonable assumptions of bosses by reviewing their boss abilities. Also, I think almost every boss was tested on PTR, and as such there are videos out there. Combine the ability lists with the videos and you should be able to assemble a pretty coherent strategy, as the video shows timing on abilities and the spell data of all their abilities so you can put their placements and actions in context. Also, I believe that boss abilities were going to be listed in game in the “Expanded’ raid maps to help as well.

Once you have a general idea of how the encounter should flow, then your guild will hammer out the details until “Best Practices” are found. A good portion of the discussion here, and on other sights will likely be in those details, not so much the outline of the fight.
Senador

Postby Protigy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 am

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php? ... aid-Bosses

^ Basically all you'll need to get started.

Also, search around on YouTube for videos for the people in your guild that hate reading walls of text. :)
Protigy
Maintankadonor

Postby Sànguinius » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Synthesis, your avatar is my favorite mythical creature. I'll take that as a good omen. (I might be slightly superstitious.)

But to everyone thank you all very much for the starting point of making some reliable and decent strategies so we aren't going into this raid blind. I think... the next tier of content I will get on the PTR myself and see the raids first hand. I am even pondering a methodical way to determine each bosses abilities, whether or not X works on Y, and determine what the bosses hit for, what to look for, etc. I could even look to my raid and analyze their abilities and see who would be preferable for what job or who I should combined in terms of DPS on a target. Things of that sort.

Hmmm building off that a bit, is there an Add-on or website where I can enter a person's gear, and talent spec and determine what DPS they should be pulling in a tank and spank encounter? That way I have a bar I can set for my DPS. Or what might even be better is how can I determine how much combined raid DPS my raid needs to down a boss? I remember in an ICC 25 man guild I use to be apart of one of our raid officers was able to calculate how much DPS the raid needed to down a particular boss and see if we were in the green for it.

Sorry I randomly muse a lot, but if you can make sense of the above, more help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited in: And I just realized I spoke of both superstition and mathematical reasoning in the same post. Duality of Man for the win.
"The man who knows why, will always be better than the man who knows how."
Sànguinius

Postby xlos » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:28 am

You sound like you want to police your guild a fair bit. I have no idea on to what your WOTLK progress was and what your aim is for CATA, but watch out you don't go police too much. In the end, as raid leader you can adjust a setup, maybe some specs here or there, or people just dont cut it, and then determing the task at hand is rather easy (and unpleasent).
xlos

Return to General