Two realid friends, same name, what happen?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Two realid friends, same name, what happen?

Postby rodos » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Does anyone know how the UI responds if you have two realid friends who have the exact same full name?

Situation:

Say I want to create a new WoW account, to play around with dual-boxing or whatever. And say I want to put it on a different battle.net account, for extra security (if one is compromised I can play the other). However, I want to transfer an existing character to this new account, so I have to use the same real name as my main account.

Now, if my guildies add both of my accounts as realid friends, will messages from both my accounts look the same, or does the UI do something to differentiate them?
rodos

Re: Two realid friends, same name, what happen?

Postby Karnadas » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:52 am

AFAIK they'll just have to see which character is online.
Karnadas

Postby blakk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 am

rodos wrote:Does anyone know how the UI responds if you have two realid friends who have the exact same full name?

Situation:

Say I want to create a new WoW account, to play around with dual-boxing or whatever. And say I want to put it on a different battle.net account, for extra security (if one is compromised I can play the other). However, I want to transfer an existing character to this new account, so I have to use the same real name as my main account.

Now, if my guildies add both of my accounts as realid friends, will messages from both my accounts look the same, or does the UI do something to differentiate them?

there will be a *name* and a *name1*
blakk

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:25 am

blakk wrote:there will be a *name* and a *name1*

^ this

It has been bugged lots of times, people have got my name up to 5 and 6 in their friendlist :D
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 am

I've found it actually to be a bigger pain in the butt when a person names a character after the first name of his/her RID. I have a buddy who did this and it causes all sorts of confusion in the UI when I go to /w him if he's not playing that character. ><
Chunes

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 am

I have something similer to this .. you have to message the toon directly.

My friend has 2 accounts attached to the same Bnet so they both show up in the exact same name" not even 2 of them. When you scroll over it shows "(name) playing toon1" "(name) playing toon2".

As a side note I love to throw off my friends by making my little status thing say

"has removed you from RealID."

So of course on their screen they get "Shyrtandros has removed you from RealID.

I get messages from people going WTH?!
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby rodos » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Ok, so it's confusing but not intractable.

I'm thinking the best solution might be simply not to use RealID at all on the second account, and just have people use the toon name(s).
rodos

Return to General