Remove Advertisements

Downloading and firewalls...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Downloading and firewalls...

Postby sherck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:18 pm

New laptop, using the installed Windows 7 firewall.

I have disabled the firewall completely in order download the updaters (currently doing the 4.76 GB for the 3.3 ==> 4.0 update) and I will get the green "No problems detected" for about 7-10 minutes and then if will flip over to a yellow indicator with the message of "you computer appears to be behind a firewall..." and the download rate drops greatly (based on the how much time left until download is finished).

Any ideas? My laptop firewall is disabled. Do ISPs have firewalls? I cannot find anywhere to set up the "ports" that are mentioned on the Blizzard homepage.

Using Verizon...errr, Frotier DSL.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: Downloading and firewalls...

Postby Arees » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:27 pm

1) Is there a router connected between your modem and your PC? If so, check with whatever brand router you have on how to access the configuration (with Linksys its 192.168.1.1) and somewhere or another there will be a place for port forwarding. You select the TCP and UDP ports that blizzard has listed, save them, and you should be good to go.

2) If your computer is hooked up straight to your dsl modem, then your modem might have a NAT firewall built into it. This is the exact same type of firewall that routers use, and the steps will be very similar to above. You might want to call your ISP though so they can walk you through how to do it for your particular modem.
Last edited by Arees on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arees

Re: Downloading and firewalls...

Postby sherck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:32 pm

WATERBOYsh wrote:1) Is there a router connected between your modem and your PC? If so, check with whatever brand router you have on how to access the configuration (with Linksys its 192.168.1.1) and somewhere or another there will be a place for port forwarding. You select the TCP and USP ports that blizzard has listed, save them, and you should be good to go.

2) If your computer is hooked up straight to your dsl modem, then your modem might have a NAT firewall built into it. This is the exact same type of firewall that routers use, and the steps will be very similar to above. You might want to call your ISP though so they can walk you through how to do it for your particular modem.

Thanks much. I will give it a try.

Cheers,

Thud
sherck

Return to General