Remove Advertisements

Tol Barad Stategy FAQ

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Tol Barad Stategy FAQ

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:22 am

Before I post this FAQ, it's important to check this thread before asking where I got my information from and if I have the mechanics the right way around etc.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

Please feel free to add, comment, flame or tear me apart limb from limb, for any grammatical mistakes I may have made and such inaccuracies.

Kurt
Last edited by kurtizzle on Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
kurtizzle

Re: Tol Barad Stategy FAQ

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:23 am

Tol Barad FAQ

Tol Barad is a world PvP zone much like Winter Grasp, with similar siege mechanics (attacking towers) and also features Eye of the storm style capture mechanics at the keeps.

So what is different?

Well first of all players no longer do damage with the vehicles, they simply capture them; move them to a location and then dismount. This activates the vehicles and they begin to set up, before raining fiery hot destruction on the enemy’s tower. They do not damage players or defend themselves from player damage; they also can not do any damage whilst being driven by a player.

So what do you use the vehicles for?

The vehicles are used to destroy 3 towers; these towers should be destroyed by the attacking team to increase (?) the length of the event, a reverse of Winter Grasp.

So how do we make sure we take the towers down?

• The general idea would be to move from one tower to another as one large group using all the sieges at the same point.

• Another strategy would be to split your group into three groups, with one team attacking at one location and the other two teams attack the same tower as:

• Waves, by sending in sieges at different times, so as to always have siege damage going out, destruction by attrition.

• From different angles, making use of any terrain advantages cliffs etc.

• As a big blob, (AoE damage could be an issue as in Winter Grasp)

• Storming the defence and allowing all the sieges (or 2) to move out with the smaller group.

So which strategy is best and you didn’t say attack all three at the same time?

Probably the last one, but due to the PuG style setup; blob is most commonly going to be used, resulting in few wins.

You don’t want to split the groups for two reasons:

1. Splitting the group is splitting healing and we all know how many healers you can expect in random BGs.

2. The enemy response should be and will be to attack each one as a blob defeating each group one at a time. Remember that they have 3 towers to defend; loosing one is always going to happen, even when they win.
Last edited by kurtizzle on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
kurtizzle

Defence

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:23 am

So how do we defend?

The correct answer is always responding to the enemy and information gathering, like any good RTS player. Anyone have engineer spyglass in their bags, you probably should!

Before I continue, you should check the thread on intelligent thinking (link incoming).

What ever the enemy does you are going to want to hit them as hard as possible to start off with! Although this sound obvious, how many times do you see bloodlust being used as an opener in a BG?

Enemy attacks ‘All In’ at one tower:

• Army of the dead, wolves, blood lust, star fall, mass dispel, combat resurrection, raise ally, potions, blow all cool downs (Blow CDs with lust of course!), Spam AoE and silence/fear!

• Having a few Soak / Meat shield players getting ‘stuck in’ will give our healers someone to heal and their DPS someone to target buying time for our ranged to select targets of opportunity.

• A few people should target the siege vehicles, however the sooner you can reduce their numbers the sooner you can do this safely, don’t forget there will most likely be pets, traps and players waiting in stealth! Also if they set up correctly you will be out of range of heals if you simply charge it, which would be very silly.

• When the numbers are thinned out a little, you can begin to ‘Focus Fire’ down one siege at a time, send in pets and have your ranged target the marked Siege, melee should remain getting ‘stuck in’.

I can not emphasise enough how important it is to ‘Focus Fire’ (ok that is probably enough), the reason is when one siege is dead you have just cut one third of the damage, or one half etc.

Not only that if their attack is successful, you are likely to become quickly overrun as your players mindlessly start running back to the next tower, so it is important to force them to have to go backwards to capture a siege again.

When they do eventually destroy your tower and if they blob, they will! You need to fall back in some kind of organised order, yes it’s a random BG so this wont happen, but what you can do is inform your raid, friends and guild members to hold their ground until they die, then return to the next tower. Just buy as much time as possible, harass the attackers on their route to the next tower; do not throw away your life needlessly.
Last edited by kurtizzle on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
kurtizzle

Defence.

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:24 am

Enemy attacks are split across different towers (2/1 or 1/1/1 groupings) tower:

Well this is easy; you use the above strategy, take your entire raid to the smallest group, DECIMATE them (Queue evil laugh! Mwhahahaha), then move as one to another tower and sweep right to left or left to right. Don’t forget that you will loose a tower, most likely the one you get to last, also at the tower where you reap the seeds of death and destruction, your enemy is most likely not going to attack here again, because of these three reasons!

1. Everyone that was there just got brutalised in ways you only see on facebook, they won’t want that to happen again.
2. When most players die, they realise they have a map button, so they check where everyone is and simply follow the monkey in front.
3. Also players tend to want to be where ‘winning is occurring’, due to Honour Kills.
Last edited by kurtizzle on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
kurtizzle

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:25 am

So we beat all three towers down, or defended them as long as we could, what now?

First of all well done and if you managed to read all this, go take a break grab a nice hot/cold drink pop to the lavatory and then read on, no seriously this is a lot of text!

Right you’re back I see, well I shouldn’t need to point out that if you hold onto your tower until the timer you win!

So regardless of which side you are on, after the towers are down you need to make your way over to one of the three keeps.
kurtizzle

Capture points and the Keeps.

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 am

What do we do at the keeps and you mentioned Eye of the Storm mechanics with a twist?

Well remembered, you learn well young padawan! So the attacking team has to capture all three keeps to win control over Tol Barad and with it the riches of Baradin Hold. The defending teams job is to make them pay with their lives, ‘bring the pain’ (For The Horde/We'll keep trying).

Basically at each keep there will be a capture point, the more of your side that is present the faster you can capture!

Yes, but the twist?

The twist is that dying near the capture point pushes the capture mechanic in the favour of the enemy. I’m yet unsure if this mechanic gives the defending team ‘capture time back’ for killing the attackers, but from my understanding it won't as there is no information regarding capturing the keeps back, similar to towers in Alterac Valley (Beta/Blue confirmation please).

So standing on the capture point is bad?

Theoretically being anywhere near it is a bad idea, although the range is unknown you can expect it to be somewhat like EoS. Naturally players will go and stack on the flag, the best idea would be to amass at the gates of the keep having healers make use of ‘line of sight’. Remember to use mass slow effects, flares and don’t forget you can ask the other keeps to reinforce your defence, by attacking your attackers from behind (hopefully catching healers and ranged off guard).
Last edited by kurtizzle on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
kurtizzle

FTW!!

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 am

How to attack and win?

If you’ve come to this point, having had people follow your instructions then well done. What you want to do next is attack on mass, one keep at a time pushing hard on their front door. Don’t go running in and trying to force them to fight on the capture point. People naturally focus on targets near their objective without any instruction, this will get you killed.

The enemy should naturally rally to the central battle, for reasons mentioned earlier (Points 1.2.3.). When this occurs, you can split off two teams to go and fast cap the other points. If your raid doesn’t have this level of organisation, just ask people resurrecting to attack a different keep.

It doesn’t matter if they are successful or not, 9/10 times you are going to win the battle at the main group or the other keep, once it’s captured mass up again at the last keep! Here the enemies deaths will pretty much take over and give you the win, so just concentrate on giving healers a hard time and putting out a good spread of damage with any classes that have good AoE, everyone else should have health bars enables for a start (v on the keyboard), and pick off anyone that gets low.

Make sure you don’t get to drawn into the battle and suffer from ‘tunnel vision’ to what is occurring around you, guard your healers and try to mitigate damage to yourself. You must keep the momentum of the battle going and remember to ask for updates from the other keeps assault teams.

My eyes bleed, anymore?

No that’s it; wish you the best of luck in your battles, hoping you can make your enemy suffer the might of your faction! Enjoy Baradin Hold it is yours for the taking.

Thanks for reading,

Kurtizzle

GM <LUSTRUM> Grim Batrol.
Last edited by kurtizzle on Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
kurtizzle

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:46 am

Future additions:

It is possible to try and attempt to win via simply going straight for the keeps, this however has the same sound straegy standing that, the catapult riding lolkids in WG find amusing, when they spam 'TRAIN WEST' just for their Honor Farming.

I highly ill advice such tendencies, I'm going to ponder over some theory of trying to capture a keep whislt the main team is going for towers, this however might appear in my intelligent thinking guide that I'm currently working on.

I have to admit this FAQ is greatly inspired by the works of Gevlon and his WGclean addon, which is now defunct post 'No kicking via raid leader in WG'.

Link: http://www.greedygoblin.blogspot.com/

Anything the community here can add, should hopefully help me to polish this off for a post on community foruum.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt
kurtizzle

Postby kurtizzle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:14 am

I'm no longer updating this thread, for more info please check WOW Commuity EU Forum http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 522?page=1
Kurtizzle lvl 80 Tankadin T7/7.5/Badgeloot/roic drops
EU-HELLFIRE
kurtizzle

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 am

My first Tol Barad is going to be today with guildies.. this helps - thanks.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby kurtizzle » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Good luck mate, it can be alot of fun, it can also get a little repetative and tedious.

I do still enjoy it but that may be because I PvP in my tank spec with 3.54 res (38% player dmg reduction).

I have recently updated the community post, so my top tip for you sir is;

Look at the map, if half your raid group is going to 'Zerg' Iron Clad maybe look at Wardens or Slagworks.

If when you get there you manage to take a fort with less than 10 players, consider using /s to speak to those nearby. It's likely they are good PvP members which you can recruit into your Guild for rated BGs.

The above is a much better honor gain xD

GL HF

Thankyou for your kind words.

Kurtizzle
kurtizzle

Return to General