Finally time to drop engineering?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Finally time to drop engineering?

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 am

Io.Draco wrote:
Digren wrote:Not yet. As long as the Bio-Optic Killshades represent an upgrade over the available alternates, you'll receive benefit from the profession from them alone.

When you're decked out in T11 we can have this discussion again.

They are BiS, but are they such a massive advantage over everything else that it would getting engineering just for it? The helm is on par with Daybreaker normal one, ( and sub-par compared to HC version of Daybreaker ).

Personally I don't see a point of getting eng just for a helm that is on par with a normal version one.

In this day and age, I totally agree. (However, back in BC, where seeing BiS gear was much less likely, the goggles were an awesome reason for Eng).

However, now, no.. I would not pick up engineering for the goggles. But, my original question was, should I drop engineering? Given the goggles, it might make sense to keep engineering for that. ASSUMING that I can get the new orb in a reasonable time frame. Wowhead says they are BOP. If that's so, then I won't see one till I'm grinding heroics, then there is less value in the goggles.

The other question is, will the tier gear be available for badges right away? Wowhead say no, so that might factor in as well.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:14 am

Cold. Dead. Hands.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 am

Njall wrote:Cold. Dead. Hands.

They took my ammo away.
They took my motes away.
They took my rocket-boots away.
They took my stat bonuses away.
They gave my a crappy pyro-rocket upgrade,

And gave me an annoying auto-looter??... By the time you click on target, click on auto-looter, wait for cast-time, wait for it to fly there and back, you might as well walk over yourself.

sigh....

halabar

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 am

That can be arranged.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:32 am

halabar wrote:

They took my ammo away.
They took my motes away.
They gave my a crappy pyro-rocket upgrade,

And gave me an annoying auto-looter??... By the time you click on target, click on auto-looter, wait for cast-time, wait for it to fly there and back, you might as well walk over yourself.

sigh....

I never said I was going to be rational about it. Still, I have found that the tinkers on gloves and cloak stack with a regular enchant now. That's more than a little useful (especially with the gloves). And as far as I can tell, the new tinkers are not belt-located. That may be a reason why they centralized all the old tinkers to one location. That said, I have no idea why I've got a mind control belt.

And from what I have gleaned, the engineering goggles will upgrade. That's one of the reasons for the cogs and pumps.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 am

Njall wrote:And from what I have gleaned, the engineering goggles will upgrade. That's one of the reasons for the cogs and pumps.

That's the 64,000G question. Will there be new version of the helms in the future? As Digren pointed out, it would be odd for them to do all the work to add the cog system for just the intro tier, but, they've done similar things before, and they've already scaled back the cog system, so, who knows, it might be on it's way out.

(If my retired pally-tank was the engineer, the armour tinker would be nice, but my hunter is the engineer, and the new pyro-rocket stinks, and the haste tinker isn't worth it either. LW is king for DPS for bracers.)

halabar

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:57 am

halabar wrote:
Njall wrote:And from what I have gleaned, the engineering goggles will upgrade. That's one of the reasons for the cogs and pumps.

That's the 64,000G question. Will there be new version of the helms in the future? As Digren pointed out, it would be odd for them to do all the work to add the cog system for just the intro tier, but, they've done similar things before, and they've already scaled back the cog system, so, who knows, it might be on it's way out.

(If my retired pally-tank was the engineer, the armour tinker would be nice, but my hunter is the engineer, and the new pyro-rocket stinks, and the haste tinker isn't worth it either. LW is king for DPS for bracers.)

True. And the two new pets are specialization specific. I may just build a big bunch of Killer Bunnies before I swap over to Goblin engineering at long last and make some mini-Fel Reavers. This pet is enough to tip the balance for me. The X-Ray specs were wonderful Gnomish engineering - they totally killed Dalaran Lag for me by stripping off all the gear from the toons. Then I got a new computer...

It seems as if they're not scaling back the system as simplifying it. That said, I barely got a chance to play with Engineering in the Beta as it was introduced so freaking LATE in the cycle.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:47 am

halabar wrote:They took my ammo away.
They took my motes away.
They gave my a crappy pyro-rocket upgrade

Take my shells,
Take my motes,
Take away my rocket boots,
I don't care, I'm still free
They didn't take the plasma shield, parachute cloak, boltgun, mind control, death ray and schweet goggles from me.

;)

While I wouldn't roll Engineering specifically to get the goggles, I am definitely going to keep it and use them. The Charged Bolts sound inordinately expensive NOW, but later on I imagine Obsidium bolts will be cheap, like Cobalt ones are now.
Kelaan

Postby Palisade » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Kelaan wrote:
halabar wrote:They took my ammo away.
They took my motes away.
They gave my a crappy pyro-rocket upgrade

Take my shells,
Take my motes,
Take away my rocket boots,
I don't care, I'm still free
They didn't take the plasma shield, parachute cloak, boltgun, mind control, death ray and schweet goggles from me.

;)

While I wouldn't roll Engineering specifically to get the goggles, I am definitely going to keep it and use them. The Charged Bolts sound inordinately expensive NOW, but later on I imagine Obsidium bolts will be cheap, like Cobalt ones are now.

Now I have to go home and watch Firefly, thanks :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Palisade

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Yes, the Firefly riff is win.

My next wish for Engineering? An Impertinent Mechanical Squid. But I'll take an Elementium Dragonling, thank you.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:01 pm

They need to do something about the transporter situation.

Either an Azeroth version of the Northrend Wormhold Generator (i.e. a multi-target port), or add a Booty Bay one or something. There are only two old-world endpoints, they're both in Kalimdor, they're spec-exclusive, and the gnome one is fairly redundant because you can just as easily take a CoT portal, or Wormhole to Sholazar and take the waygate.
rodos

Postby Digren » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Io.Draco wrote:
Digren wrote:Not yet. As long as the Bio-Optic Killshades represent an upgrade over the available alternates, you'll receive benefit from the profession from them alone.

When you're decked out in T11 we can have this discussion again.

They are BiS, but are they such a massive advantage over everything else that it would getting engineering just for it? The helm is on par with Daybreaker normal one, ( and sub-par compared to HC version of Daybreaker ).

Personally I don't see a point of getting eng just for a helm that is on par with a normal version one.

Oh no, of course not. Then again, nothing is worth changing professions for. Seriously. Unless you're Meloree or Worldie and chasing a top ranking. Things will rise and fall, and wasting time squeezing out those last few points is totally not worth the massive investment. Especially since most people fail to optimize things that are trivial to fix, like, say, item enhancements.

But since nothing is worth changing professions for, engineering would need to be downright awful to change professions from. And it's not that bad, at least while the helm is BiS.
Digren

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 am

Hah I remember I changed profession in TBC about 6 times to get BiS stuff. Aww so much money spent :(
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:33 am

rodos wrote:They need to do something about the transporter situation.

Either an Azeroth version of the Northrend Wormhold Generator (i.e. a multi-target port), or add a Booty Bay one or something. There are only two old-world endpoints, they're both in Kalimdor, they're spec-exclusive, and the gnome one is fairly redundant because you can just as easily take a CoT portal, or Wormhole to Sholazar and take the waygate.

There was something about an old world portal generator in the MMO datamining. That'd be good. A real PORTAL - even with the crazy-mad cooldown. But I'd settle for the portals being non-specialized. That said, I have been finding my Toshley's Station portal generator useful for mining Fel Iron and Adamantine Ore - the prices have become very high since the portals collapsed.

Edit: and Khorium remains stupid crazy expensive on both my servers (20+ gp for ore, 60+ gp for bars)

Still... Cold. Dead. Hands.
Last edited by Njall on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 am

Njall wrote:, I have been finding my Toshley's Station portal generator useful for mining Fel Iron and Adamantine Ore - the prices have become very high since the portals collapsed....

O'really..... hrmm....

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General