Remove Advertisements

Finally time to drop engineering?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Finally time to drop engineering?

Postby Torquemada » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 am

Eh. Already dropped Blacksmithing for Mining this go around(Keeping JC), and after cashing in on selling ore the first few weeks and then leveling up my JC, I'll switch to Enchanting. Good form.
A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson
Torquemada

Postby halabar » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Digren wrote:
bldavis wrote:
fudomyou wrote:I haven't been able to find any information on cogwheels (my google fu is weak). Will those be usable outside of the goggles?

according to a quick wowhead search, the only items that have cogwheel slots (and tus able to use cogwheels) are the engineering crafted helms

...which leads me to postulate that, this time, they plan to create new goggles for each content tier. Otherwise they've gone to a lot of trouble to create a whole new socket mechanism for goggles that no one will use six months from now.

Thus, I expect to see continual advancement with engineering that will keep it viable from tier to tier. I have no proof of this of course.

That makes sense. It would be nice to get some sort of confirmation.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Arnock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Want

Would be nice with a shorter cooldown though
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby rodos » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Arnock wrote:

Want

Would be nice with a shorter cooldown though

QFT. A lot more useful to a ranged class, but still handy. Particularly fun for looting in 5-mans as healer, or when farming for rare drops on low-level mobs that you can 1-shot with Judgement, Pyro rocket, High-Powered Bolt Gun, etc.

Also: High-Powered Bolt Gun !!!
rodos

Postby Chunes » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:31 am

I heard about the lootarang last night and started drooling. Now that I see the 10 sec cd, I'm not as impressed though.
Chunes

Postby Digren » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:38 am

Chunes wrote:I heard about the lootarang last night and started drooling. Now that I see the 10 sec cd, I'm not as impressed though.

It lets you loot as a tank in five mans. It doesn't really help when solo farming.
Digren

Postby Kelaan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Plasma shield makes me extremely happy, though I'm sad that I have to choose between that and rocket boots. I can't seem to get excited over the on-use glove shields, though. Short of macroing it into ShoR or CS or something, I'm not sure I'd manage to use it regularly enough to be useful. (That said, /use 10 on CS is useful for Ret, too.) Also, I'm having a hard time visualizing the utility of an armor proc. 1500 armor doesn't SOUND like a lot (?), especially when it'll only be up 20% of the time. Would I want to save this for anything, or just use it on cooldown?
Kelaan

Postby halabar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Kelaan wrote:Plasma shield makes me extremely happy, though I'm sad that I have to choose between that and rocket boots.

Considering the failure rate (and disasterous results) of the new rocket belt, why would you even consider using it, especially in raids? (Imagine 3-4 of your raid members being blown 30 ft in the air when they are supposed to be running out of the burning-green-ice-slime.

I think Digren nailed it. If the helms aren't upgraded in successive tiers, then it's bye-bye engineering. One of engineering's biggest problems right now is that the various buffs it provides are only marginally better than the Wrath ones, while many of the buffs provided by other professions scale. It's mitigated to some degree that the craftable gear is all BOE, but engineering still is behind.

But, it does seem stupid for Blizz to have created the helms with cogwheels and then to have it only usable in the first raid tier. However, they have scaled back on this from some of the original design, so we might have our own little dead-end thing in engineering. Also, what happens if you don't discover the cogwheel patterns, or the one that you need? hosed you are.

halabar

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 pm

I'll probably put boosts on my dps tanking belt, and shield on my boss tanking set. Boots for trash, where a failure doesn't matter, but more mobility is a Quality of Life thing.

A failure seems to take you off a mob's threat table, by the way, which we found out hilariously on hlk.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:I'll probably put boosts on my dps tanking belt, and shield on my boss tanking set. Boots for trash, where a failure doesn't matter, but more mobility is a Quality of Life thing.

A failure seems to take you off a mob's threat table, by the way, which we found out hilariously on hlk.

Yeah, I heard a report of 9 failures at the same time on one HLK attempt.

halabar

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:33 pm

I can't help but wonder if the Nitro Boosts failure rate is a bug or not. I really hope it is, because I leveled engineering primarily for it... and then the next week it was screwed.
Belloc

Postby halabar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Belloc wrote:I can't help but wonder if the Nitro Boosts failure rate is a bug or not. I really hope it is, because I leveled engineering primarily for it... and then the next week it was screwed.

Considering the toning down of other engineering benefits, a nerf is most likely. When you see raids with 15+ engineers, that's probably something they wanted to discourage. What burns me was the steath-nerf, with no announcement that all the engineering enchantments were being removed from your gear.

I'll keep mining on my hunter so I have something to do when not raiding or while sitting in LFG, but I'm still considering LW or JC in place of engineering.

halabar

Postby Kelaan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:05 pm

I was unaware that the boosts had anything special other than "you get knocked in the air". All the more reason to use the shield.

That said, sounds liek a bug to me. Removing you from the threat table would be a random FD for every DPS class, which doesn't sound like what they want everyone to have. (Heck, they could make THAT a belt tinker. A Transmogrifying Phase-Distorter, or something.)
Kelaan

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 am

Digren wrote:Not yet. As long as the Bio-Optic Killshades represent an upgrade over the available alternates, you'll receive benefit from the profession from them alone.

When you're decked out in T11 we can have this discussion again.

They are BiS, but are they such a massive advantage over everything else that it would getting engineering just for it? The helm is on par with Daybreaker normal one, ( and sub-par compared to HC version of Daybreaker ).

Personally I don't see a point of getting eng just for a helm that is on par with a normal version one.
Io.Draco

Postby Kaory » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 am

Last week rocket-belt failed and my pala was thrown from Princes to Queen in ICC leaving Keleseth without tank :)
That was funny
Kaory

PreviousNext

Return to General