Finally time to drop engineering?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Finally time to drop engineering?

Postby halabar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:52 am

Sigh...

So let's count the engineering nerfs in Cata.

1) No crafting ammo (was a decent cash source)
2) "Electrostatic Condenser" only gathers Volatile Air, and Volatile air is the least-used of the Volatiles. AND it can only be used if you have another gathering profession (dual crafting? you are SOL).
3) Nitro belt is damn near useless. Failure rate is way too high, and you'll wipe the raid with it, and it's banned from any PVP now.
4) Some of the glove enchants are pretty weak now.

So really, the only thing I will get from engineering are Jeeves, Mollee, and a parachute cloak.

I think it's finally time to change.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: Finally time to drop engineering?

Postby Digren » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 am

Not yet. As long as the Bio-Optic Killshades represent an upgrade over the available alternates, you'll receive benefit from the profession from them alone.

When you're decked out in T11 we can have this discussion again.
Digren

Postby halabar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:09 am

Digren wrote:Not yet. As long as the Bio-Optic Killshades represent an upgrade over the available alternates, you'll receive benefit from the profession from them alone.

When you're decked out in T11 we can have this discussion again.

True, true, assuming Chaos Orbs are 5-man drops. If Chaos orbs are raid drops, then I'll have the gear before I get a Chaos Orb, since they are BOP.

Edit: Looks like the Orbs are the new frozen orb, which means BOP gear crafted with them might be on par with the dungeon drops. Annoying that they are BOP, which makes the Killshades being lvl 81 useless, since you can't get the Orbs till 85.

Edit 2: Also depends on if the tier gear is only via tokens or not.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 am

I will be keeping in. before cata I will pick mining back up for MAJOR profit.
Adryl

Postby fudomyou » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:20 pm

I haven't been able to find any information on cogwheels (my google fu is weak). Will those be usable outside of the goggles?
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Not yet, but if I find out that it became terribly crap in proper gear, well then, I will cry a lot of tears before removing Engineering.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:39 pm

fudomyou wrote:I haven't been able to find any information on cogwheels (my google fu is weak). Will those be usable outside of the goggles?

according to a quick wowhead search, the only items that have cogwheel slots (and tus able to use cogwheels) are the engineering crafted helms

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Dianora » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:02 pm

fudomyou wrote:I haven't been able to find any information on cogwheels (my google fu is weak). Will those be usable outside of the goggles?

The cogwheels are there to provide stats to the Cata goggles. So, no, they're not usable outside the raid. That way, Blizzard only have to design 1 of each goggle, and let the engineer customize the stats they want. Therefore, the plate goggle can have 3 different stats (DPS, Tanking, Healing).
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby PsiVen » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:10 pm

So really, the only thing I will get from engineering are Jeeves, Mollee, and a parachute cloak.

In what way is this worse from most professions which receive "nothing" other than the standardized bonuses everyone gets?

Quite the contrary, I'm planning to pick up Engineering as soon as possible in Cataclysm.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Digren » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:33 pm

bldavis wrote:

according to a quick wowhead search, the only items that have cogwheel slots (and tus able to use cogwheels) are the engineering crafted helms

...which leads me to postulate that, this time, they plan to create new goggles for each content tier. Otherwise they've gone to a lot of trouble to create a whole new socket mechanism for goggles that no one will use six months from now.

Thus, I expect to see continual advancement with engineering that will keep it viable from tier to tier. I have no proof of this of course.
Digren

Postby Eltiana » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Eltiana

Postby Digren » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Digren

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:49 pm

dam you all and you wowhead links I cannot view at work...... :evil:
Adryl

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:03 am

To be honest this alone may be a good reason to not drop engi at all.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:29 am

You can pry my Deflection Plates/Plasma Shielding from my cold, dead hands/feet.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General