Remove Advertisements

New to US - which realm?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

New to US - which realm?

Postby Claire » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Hello everyone!

I recently relocated to the US and decided to take the new expansion to break my 6 months hiatus from WoW and see what's new. Generally speaking I am looking for a realm where people are not asshats, but reasonable and where the general feeling is that (raiding) pugs are decent (as, due to time constraints, I anticipate not being able to join a fixed schedule rading guild). My timezone is EST and I generally prefer PvE over PvP, but I wouldn't mind PvP server if it's really good.

I would love to hear some recommendations :)

Oh, and Bonus question: Should I wait for worgen/goblins or is there a race (pref. Alliance) whose starting region has changed enough to be interesting to play through again?

edit: third question, actually: Do I need to reinstall my WoW or can I use the one already installed on my computer (European)?
Claire

Re: New to US - which realm?

Postby Dazhbog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:59 am

Okay, so I am of course totally biased, but Silver Hand has been my home since game start, and for a good reason: The Leftovers raiding alliance. No guild affiliations required, LO charters set up raids every day of the week, and you can pick and choose which raids you run (or not) as your schedule allows. The website allows for flexible sign ups, multiple characters, and a solid point based loot system that, while not perfect, is still one of the best I've ever used. We're about 800-900 active members strong (or were around the peak of Wrath, that may have dropped off a bit) but basically everyone on the server is considered "members". All it takes to join is to register on the site and start signing up for raids. I know the server is west-coast time, but the vast majority of raids run in the afternoon/early evening east coast time, with a smattering of early morning and late night runs. (I raid 10-2 EST, but that's on the later side, most raid start times are in the 7-8 EST block).

LO Site: www.leftoversraiding.org

Downsides to SH are a severe Alliance/Horde population imbalance (although this may have gotten better lately, I'm seeing more Horde activity) and the fact that as one of the oldest game servers it's a -very- high population server.
Dazhbog

Postby Digren » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:13 am

I've been pretty happy with Argent Dawn, the other day-one RP server (besides Silver Hand). You'll find PUGs, you'll find flexible raids, you'll find PVP, you'll find asshats. You can choose to partake of or avoid any of these as you wish.
Digren

Postby theckhd » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:30 am

Blackrock is full, GTFO.

/obligatory

Blackrock is also PvP, fairly imbalanced (2:1 horde:alliance ratio), and EST raiding is virtually non-existant unless you like raiding 9pm-1am (in which case there are a couple guilds to choose from). And depending on whom you ask, we're all asshats.

So probably not a good choice. :D

When I was looking at moving to an EST server, Illidan and Korgath both looked appealing. However, I don't know what the pug scenes are like.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Digren » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:57 am

theckhd wrote:And depending on whom you ask, we're all asshats.

Indeed. :D I've lodged more trouble tickets that include the suggestion "if an account has a character on Blackrock, please prevent them from creating a character on Argent Dawn" than anything else.
Digren

Postby theckhd » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Does the old "Exiles of Blackrock" guild still exist? Last time I was on AD was in classic, and I'm not the type to spam trade chat. But I did go over there once to observe the chaos.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:28 pm

haha oh man i remember that shit... the spam got really atrocious
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby lythac » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Claire wrote:edit: third question, actually: Do I need to reinstall my WoW or can I use the one already installed on my computer (European)?

You can use your EU installation, but you will need a US account so that means buying Vanilla, TBC, Wrath and Cata.

To use your EU installation go into "world of warcraft/data/enGB/realmlist.wtf" and change it to -

Code: Select all
set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
set patchlist us.version.worldofwarcraft.com
set realmlistbn ""
set portal us

My realmlist.wtf shows (which works) -

Code: Select all
set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
set patchlist enGB.patch.battle.net:1119/patch
set realmlistbn ""
set portal us

I don't remember seeing the Battlenet stuff when I changed mine.

I recommend Garona PvE (CST) because it sounds like Corona.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby bldavis » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:37 pm

As far as decent servers, Drenden is ok
Sure we have a few asshats, but over all its pretty good
and the pugs are decent
oh and (last time i looked) we are one of 2 alliance dominate servers in the Emberstorm BG

Lots of cheap portals!

Starting zones:
so far i have played a human through all of westfall, west fall is changed alot, and ive heard redridge is MASSIVELY overhauled, i cant wait to try it out!

dwarfs - Dun Morogh is pretty much the same so far, few different quests but over all feel is the same so far (shammy is only lvl7) Loch Modan is really changed

Dranei - iirc the BC starting zones werent touched, so unless you go to Darkshore (that zone got tore a new one) then it will be the same

in case you wanna roll something OTHER then a paladin (blasphemy i know) then you have
Night elves - Darkshore was already talked about
Gnomes - share everything with the dwarves cept Coldridge valley, they start in New Tinkertown

so overall, id say roll a human for pally, or id wait for a worgen as far as new starting zones

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to General