Our soloing abilities after the Shattering?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Our soloing abilities after the Shattering?

Postby Sànguinius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:01 am

Ok so now that Deathwing is pissed and flying around roasting lowbies and the elite alike, am I still going to be able to solo mag and other bosses?

Here is what I am getting from the patch notes:

-We are losing Protector of the Innocent to heal ourselves.
-Word of Glory now only heals for 10% rather than 60% when used on ourselves.
-We are trading 15% block chance for 10% more blocked.
-If we happen to kill a mob that yields experience we get a 300% buff to our next holy light.

It seems out self healing capabilities have been nerfed to a point where I am asking if we can comfortable still solo a decent amount of bosses? I was in mag the other day and with PotI, Eternal Glory and WoG spamming I managed to handle mag with no problem (except the damned pit lord kept despawning, positioning is not my strong point it seems.) can I do it now? We essentially lost 50% of the self healing from WoG as well as the couple of thousand hitpoints we get from PotI.

Not to mention now we may block for more, but we block less often. So I guess the question there would be which tank takes less damage over all? The tank who blocks more often for 30% or the tank who blocks for 40% a little less. This is of course assuming that the new buff to the mastery will compensate for the talent change, but I am doubtful.

Opinions? "The-sky-is-falling" rants? Comments?
"The man who knows why, will always be better than the man who knows how."
Sànguinius

Re: Our soloing abilities after the Shattering?

Postby Goins2754 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 am

I can't find the info on the Word of Glory change that you mentioned. Can you please let me know what's going on?
Goins2754

Postby Sànguinius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 am

Goins2754 wrote:I can't find the info on the Word of Glory change that you mentioned. Can you please let me know what's going on?

Guarded by the Light caused Word of Glory to heal for 60% more when used to heal yourself. The change to Guarded by the Light (http://wowtal.com/#k=ff3.a8t.paladin.) makes it so that Word of Glory only heals for 10% more when used on yourself. Now it could be MMO being wrong about the talent trees but from what I am seeing it's 50% less healing when used on ourselves than the Word of Glory we know.
Sànguinius

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 am

IIRC this comes along with WoG scaling with AP for Prot and Ret, since that wasn't in the 4.0.1 patch... I think.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Goins2754 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks for explaining.

I am all about the soloing of old content. That's one of the main reasons I play the paladin class. I'll say these things seem pretty overwhelming. And yeah, you're probably not gonna solo things as difficult as before (I don't know if Magtheridon is one of those things). But, you're still gonna be one of the best soloing classes in the game. I mean, other than death knights, where would you go?

In a metaphor, it's like the price of gas. There's no need to really worry about it. You have to buy it no matter what. So, just whip out the debit card and pay. $1/gallon or $5/gallon, you're gonna be back at the pump next week.

Paladin soloing is the same way. OP WoG or nerfed WoG, either way you have one of the best soloing classes in the game. Just do what you can and relish in the fact that, even if you're only able to barely scrape through Molten Core post-nerf, you're still probably doing better than 80% of the other classes. :)

::I know this isn't a detailed analysis of the soloing capabilities, but maybe this will help ease your "sky is falling" fears::
Goins2754

Postby Braundo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:25 am

Sànguinius wrote:
Goins2754 wrote:I can't find the info on the Word of Glory change that you mentioned. Can you please let me know what's going on?

Guarded by the Light caused Word of Glory to heal for 60% more when used to heal yourself. The change to Guarded by the Light (http://wowtal.com/#k=ff3.a8t.paladin.) makes it so that Word of Glory only heals for 10% more when used on yourself. Now it could be MMO being wrong about the talent trees but from what I am seeing it's 50% less healing when used on ourselves than the Word of Glory we know.

It's not quite "50% less healing", as the old version was 160% of Word of Glory's normal strength when cast on ourselves. Now it's 110%. So, depending on how you want to do the math, you could say it's somewhere around 2/3 the strength that it was before.

I still am going back and forth about whether to take Eternal Glory now, though. I probably will, unless threat becomes a problem in Cataclysm, at which point I can spec back out of it.
Last edited by Braundo on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Sànguinius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:26 am

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 9411&sid=1

I think this will give a little more insight to the whole Word of Glory problem.

Braundo wrote:
Sànguinius wrote:

It's not quite "50% less healing", as the old version was 160% of Word of Glory's normal strength when cast on ourselves. Now it's 110%. So, depending on how you want to do the math, you could say it's somewhere around 2/3 the strength that it was before.

Well that definitely sounds a lot more favorable than before. But with the lost of PotI, will we be able to heal ourselves a decent amount?
Sànguinius

Postby Awyndel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 am

Well it's all about preventing yourself from dying with that small heal isn't it. And with the right talents you're looking at a significant chance of getting another heal or a crit. So it's far from a sure thing, but it's also far from useless.

Ofc you can save healer mana when you have a threat lead, but you could also save healer mana by killing the boss faster, so that's pretty meh imo.
Awyndel

Postby Sànguinius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:13 am

I am looking at the perspective where it's literally just you. I not looking at a group setting but a one on one big boss vs. paladin fight that I have grown to love and adore. I am still curious if we can accomplish that feat. I am looking at us losing about 1/3 of our healing loss from WoG, as well as the loss of PotI. But with some of our newer damaging talents, we can probably still pull it off.
Sànguinius

Postby Zonzede » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:26 am

Fighting mag, I sneak in ShoR for just under half of my casts. Considering I can change any of those to WoG to cover loss of healing, I'm going to predict that we'll still be able to take the beastie down.
Zonzede

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:22 am

Looking at it, my WoG now hits for about as much as before, if not more. So we just only lost 15% block and 3-4k bonus heal everytime, in change of 10% block value, seembs ok.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gladia » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:31 pm

I just went through and cleared Zul'Aman last night solo, with no problems, switching between SHotR and WoG when needed, the Divine plea also helps out, just make sure to cancel dp before using WoG, saying you dont need the mana.

Im only in 264 gear thats been reforged a little to gain some hit/exp
“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
-Stalin

Gladia - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Aelthena - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Paladin
Veylina - <Flasks for Trash> 85 Druid
Gladia

Postby mclem » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:17 am

Did Magtheridon yesterday. Was a one-shot, so clearly things aren't *too* bad with us. It did feel like it took perceptibly longer, though; I may have been over-cautious.
mclem

Postby tbolt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:52 am

Did Mags just now and definitely noticed a change. I was taking more damage (holy shield change), healing for less (WoG nerf + loss of PotI), and doing less damage as a result of the added need for more WoGs and the SotR nerf. Overall, still doable but a notch tougher.
tbolt

Postby eia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:39 am

Worldie wrote:Looking at it, my WoG now hits for about as much as before, if not more. So we just only lost 15% block and 3-4k bonus heal everytime, in change of 10% block value, seembs ok.

Depending on how much mastery you have, you will have lost less block, since we now get 2.25% block per mastery instead of 2% (giving us +2% more base)
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Next

Return to General