Remove Advertisements

Triple monitors.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Triple monitors.

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Post thine monitors or get thee the fuck out.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
katraya wrote:I keep expecting this thread to be about boobs.

NSFW
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Tenaka » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:03 am

Treck wrote:Running wow on 2 or more screens at the same time is imo just stupid, you gain A LOT of useless space, and the only real reason to have more screens imo is to be able to have your webbrowser and/or a movie on the other screen.
I dont see it beeing practical at all having a bend in the screen, or the screen ending in one place and starting a few centimeters away. Not for performance anyway. It may look "cooler" having the same game on all monitors, but actually playing i dont feel it to me an enhancement, then you might aswell just get one big screen, i feel that gives more feel to it atleast.

It's not likely for everyone but I for one have my system set up with most of my crap on the side screens and focus mainly on the centre screen. The space is not therefore useless to me.

As it happens I rarely need a web browser when I am playing WoW (ironically I also rarely have need for WoW when I am web browsing but that's another story), and actually have a 4th screen albeit connected to a console for movies.

Suggesting that I increase the size of my screens would only encourage me to buy 3 of them, and then ...... well, guess.....
Tenaka

Postby eia » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

I run with 2 screens, but I have 2 different computers as well.
I then use Synergy to use it as if both monitors had been connected to the same computer. (More or less, can copy/paste between them but not move windows, for obvious reasons.)
Works great imo.
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby allikat » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:05 am

Ok: Simple briefing of 3 monitor setups.
If you run Nvidia, you need 2 identical graphics cards in SLi for best effect (partly because each card can only run 2 displays at once).
If you run ATi cards, then you can do eyefinity with 1 card, but if you don't have a monitor with displayport, then you need an adapter from displayport to the needed connection for your monitor. Cheap passive adapters work at resolutions up to 1280x1024 or similar wide resolutions. Higher resolution monitors will need an expensive active adapter.
There is a 3rd option, similarly expensive, to use any single card and a Matrox Dualhead2Go or Triplehead2Go in order to make your screens look like one huge display.

Cards with over 512MB of memory are a must for either setup, 768MB or higher is recommended.

I run a Nvidia GTX460-768MB with 2 1280x1024 displays, and have wowhead, tankspot and Maintankadin running on the second display for constant enlightenment and WoW in maximised windowed mode so I can swipe my mouse over to change stuff on the web browser.
Vanilla paladins, never forget, never forgive.
Quel'serrar serrar... whatever I am, I tank :)
allikat

Postby Tenaka » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:11 pm

eia wrote:I run with 2 screens, but I have 2 different computers as well.
I then use Synergy to use it as if both monitors had been connected to the same computer. (More or less, can copy/paste between them but not move windows, for obvious reasons.)
Works great imo.

Thanks for posting this. I can now remove the extra keyboard/mouse from my desk as it works brilliantly.
Tenaka

Previous

Return to General