Triple monitors.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Triple monitors.

Postby Vrimmel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 am

Vrimmel

Re: Triple monitors.

Postby Zonzede » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:29 am

It earns equal number Cool and Nerd points, so that's a wash.

I guess I just don't get it. With a wider field of view like that, I suppose I could find some interesting UI setups to a very clear field of vision, but I can't think of a truly attractive feature of it other than novelty.
Then again, that's exactly how I felt about having a dual monitor setup. I hooked up a spare one day to watch movies while grinding Ogre rep. I started using it for so much more, and now I feel confined when forced to use only one monitor.

Guess I'd have to try it out.
Zonzede

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:08 am

One of my raiders stretches his UI over two screens so he can put all his info displays on the second monitor; someone on the forums used to do this as well, but I can't remember his name (Started with an A? Once posted a photo of him hugging the giant stuffed bear in his house?)

The problem I have with this setup is 1) monitor bezel 2) you don't really need that wide a PoV for WoW (would probably have a marked advantage for some shooters), 3) I don't like UIs where I would have to turn my head to look from one side of the screen to the other -- takes too long and is exhausting on the eyes.

(I have four monitors on my setup, with the primary being a 24" ws.)
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:08 am

doublepostwtf
Last edited by fuzzygeek on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:34 am

fuzzygeek wrote:2) you don't really need that wide a PoV for WoW (would probably have a marked advantage for some shooters)

Not even for FPS, I remember when I was still playing regularly quake I hated moving from a 19" to a 21", eventually went back to 19" because unless you have the screen on the other side of the room, your eyes will focus on the center of the screen and you'll miss in peripheral vision.

I'd rather pan the camera then tilt my head.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Vrimmel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:44 pm

It's not about need. It's about the gaming experience. The focus area where a normal screen is is of course the most important and where you find the most valuable information. Your peripheral vision is an important factor for the ambience and your connection to what you are seeing.
Vrimmel

Postby Gorlando » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:05 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:One of my raiders stretches his UI over two screens so he can put all his info displays on the second monitor; someone on the forums used to do this as well, but I can't remember his name (Started with an A? Once posted a photo of him hugging the giant stuffed bear in his house?)

The problem I have with this setup is 1) monitor bezel 2) you don't really need that wide a PoV for WoW (would probably have a marked advantage for some shooters), 3) I don't like UIs where I would have to turn my head to look from one side of the screen to the other -- takes too long and is exhausting on the eyes.

(I have four monitors on my setup, with the primary being a 24" ws.)

Aalryn?
Gorlando

Postby Goins2754 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:43 pm

You know, it would seem to me that some type of helmet/TV thing would be better than spending this mega money on these monitors. I mean, with some type of headgear the screens could "appear" any size you want them. I mean, with a large enough curved lens that extends beyond your peripheral in every direction, that would be 100% immersion. Also, running 1980x1200 on two 10" lenses would take considerably less hardware power than running in something like 10000x2800 or whatever.

Why hasn't someone (other than the Virtual Boy's pathetic attempt) invented this yet?
Goins2754

Postby crazyharry » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:14 am

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Tenaka » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:18 am

fuzzygeek wrote:(I have four monitors on my setup, with the primary being a 24" ws.)

Is that your WoW setup or just the home setup?

The Matrox Triple head2go unit has been around longer than Eyefinity withthe same results pretty much. Am looking to replace with Eyefinity but it means moving from nVidia to AMD which I'm not to keen on.

NB: I put details about my setup in a desktops thread a while back...
Tenaka wrote:The Matrox Triplehead2Go is an external box that takes a single input from the video card and splits it equally to 3 screens. You set the desktop to a valid size and the external box does it all for you.

A lot of games simply work when set to the higher resolutions but to be fair I only really play WoW on the PC.

Edit: Piccy of wow on 3 screens - the ui is WIP btw, just can't settle one one design for too long.
Tenaka

Postby Goins2754 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:02 am

That's exactly what I'm talking about. My only concerns are the 45º field of vision vertically. I'm pretty sure I can see past 45º, but honestly I'm not 100% sure. I buy these only if they provide total immersion. Second, it requires two DVI cables (conveniently not shown in the picture). It seems like having two of those quasi-bulky cables wired to my head while I play would be a bit of an inconvenience.

Though, trying them out at a game store or expo would avail all of my concerns. :)
Goins2754

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:37 am

Gorlando wrote:Aalryn?

Bingo.

Goins2754 wrote:You know, it would seem to me that some type of helmet/TV thing would be better than spending this mega money on these monitors.

With some of the new screen technology (pixels smaller than the human eye can resolve, etc), the big barrier (insufficient resolution) is probably addressable, now. The wearable displays I've seen in the past weren't suitable for long-term use (eyestrain etc). It'll be interesting when someone hacks a set of goggles + a Kinect to bind head movement to mouselook.

(I don't stretch the WoW on all four screens; I have vent and dkp windows and whatnot on the others during raid.)
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 am

Running wow on 2 or more screens at the same time is imo just stupid, you gain A LOT of useless space, and the only real reason to have more screens imo is to be able to have your webbrowser and/or a movie on the other screen.
I dont see it beeing practical at all having a bend in the screen, or the screen ending in one place and starting a few centimeters away. Not for performance anyway. It may look "cooler" having the same game on all monitors, but actually playing i dont feel it to me an enhancement, then you might aswell just get one big screen, i feel that gives more feel to it atleast.

Altho, i am interested in getting a 3rd monitor, since sometimes i wanna have the game up, a movie up AND browse some forums or internet on a 3rd one.
But i want it to be seperate screens, plugged into one computer, anyone know the best way to do this? some graphics cards apparently have 3 connections, but most dont, and i dont wanna have to invest in a new one, only another screen (and maybe some module to connect them if thats needed)
Treck

Postby katraya » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:23 am

I keep expecting this thread to be about boobs.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:32 am

katraya wrote:I keep expecting this thread to be about boobs.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General