Remove Advertisements

Mace ≠ Hammer Question?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Does it bother you that maces & hammers are the same type of weapon?

GTFO, noob! It's just a stat stick. I'd swing a fish if it gave me +500 stamina!
42%
I can see your point, but it never bothered me.
51%
Yes, I feel similarly about this or something similar.
7%

Total votes : 81

Mace ≠ Hammer Question?

Postby Goins2754 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Does it bother you that maces and hammers are lumped in together? To me and my dwarf paladin, I feel like I want to use a "hammer" specifically. I goes back to D&D and dwarves use hammers because they're blacksmiths, yada, yada. Unfortuneately, there aren't a lot of good tanking "hammers" in the game. Mithrios, is kinda a hammer...I guess. But still, I'd prefer to swing something that looks like it could forge armor as well as smash orc skulls. The new heroic raid hammer, BTW, looks great and what made me wonder about this.

But how do you feel about it? Does it matter to you?
Goins2754

Re: Mace ≠ Hammer Question?

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Gee now I feel like a dick b/c I voted the 1st choice lol. For me yes, I would like to see them differently but it's not THAT big of a deal. I think flails would be cool. If it was a two handed weapon that actually hit multi targets for a smaller amount of dmg opposed to like a 2h axe or sword

Ex: 2-h sword hits single target for 500-600 dmg
2-h Flail hits up to 3 targets for 120-220 dmg.

I think it would be fun for saw a warrior/Ret/DK to be able to swap weaps mid battle if adds came into play.
Adryl

Postby Pizbit » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 pm

I hate using them regardless of the name, but I voted first option since it seemed the closest, and a fish ftw,
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Vrimmel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:33 pm

I don't really care. As you say in option 1 it's just a stat stick. It's not like in zelda where different weapons actually do different things.
Vrimmel

Postby Aradhir » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Tbh, I'd go out of my way to swing a fish while tanking if it was even remotely viable.
Aradhir

Postby Invisusira » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Invisusira

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:23 pm

Aradhir wrote:Tbh, I'd go out of my way to swing a fish while tanking if it was even remotely viable.

When I first started my warrior, he was prot, and I found a 1 handed mace in the shape of a fish I used for my weap.
Adryl

Postby Brutalicus » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Haha, awesome gif Invis. I actually think maces probably make better weapons, personally. Think of it, you never know when you're going to swing your hammer and hit the enemy with the broad side of it by accident. With a mace, there are 360 degrees of death!

Although maces are my third choice below swords and axes... swords ftw
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Darielle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:52 am

Axes > All
Darielle

Postby ulushnar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:07 am

If you made Hammers a separate weapon type...

And then gave everyone who currently has proficency with Maces proficency with Hammers...

Then WTF have you actually added to the game?
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:07 am

On a related note, why are all polearms grouped together?

There should be different skills/proficiencies/specializations for ranseurs, halberds, tridents, partisans, awl hooks, bill hooks, corseques, fauchards, military forks, naginatas, nakamaris, voulges, scythes, bardiches, lochaber axes, spetums, glaives, guisarmes, longspears and lucern hammers.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Noradin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:34 am

Same for sabers, rapiers, swords and the like. And there you would actually want a different animation as some are for slashing, some for stabbing and some can be used for both.
I don't think it would do anything to add new weapon categories for players. (Besides onehanded spears :)
I would like more differentiated weapon classes for animation purposes, though, but those don't need to show up in the tooltip.

P.s.: Your poll is rude as it lacks a option for those who disaggree with you but do care for the subject. I implies that whoever would have another opinion on the topic is not interested in it at all.

Edit 2: On a second thought: Hammers are a kind of mace if they are used as weapons. I find it more of a problem that some items which can be used as onehanded weapons arend classified as such. (Lances for example.) It would be ok if they didn't have a proper classification as of their weapon type and they do neglebilbe amounts of damage for the most part, but since they aren't classified as onehanded weapons we can't use our abilies if we happen to have them equipped for RPG reasons.
(Funny fact: Warriors can use some. Some of their styles which invoce a weapon attack animation require a shield instead of a onehanded weapon. I wish it was the same for HotR.)
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Dianora » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:58 am

War hammer is actually not all that big, compared to 2 handed sword. But they're designed to be used on horseback, and with a flat side and a spide side, they can either be used to crack shield or pierce armor. Here's a picture of one from wiki:

ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Thaumatrope » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 am

Passionario wrote:On a related note, why are all polearms grouped together?

There should be different skills/proficiencies/specializations for ranseurs, halberds, tridents, partisans, awl hooks, bill hooks, corseques, fauchards, military forks, naginatas, nakamaris, voulges, scythes, bardiches, lochaber axes, spetums, glaives, guisarmes, longspears and lucern hammers.

What!? No bohemian earspoons?!
Thaumatrope

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:32 pm

And they split 1 and 2 handed swords up...
What about Bastard Swords? (Also called hand and a half swords).
Then you have the destinction between daggers and swords

But when does a sword become a dagger?
Smaller than a broadsword? longsword? rapier? dirk?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Next

Return to General