Remove Advertisements

I want my Legendary tanking items!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:20 am

Regarding the theory that we should have access to the legendary loot FOR the content (which I am in agreement), what if the legendary was the reward for something as painstaking as the Insane title? I mean, at the basic level Insane is a very easy title to get. It doesn't require any real skill, it doesn't require 25 people, it doesn't require advanced macros to own people in PvP, it's just the mega, super, crazy time-sink achievement. Almost anyone could do it if they really put in the time and money.

So, what if that was the requirement to get a legendary item? What if it was along the same premise, but harder?

Examples:

1,000,000 personal honor kills rewards you with a faction-specific legendary weapon.
Collect every mount & pet in the game gets you a legendary bow (not counting purchase mounts & TCG pets, etc)
Complete 10,000 heroic dungeons while queued as Tank gets you a legendary shield.

These are things that can be completed by all, they're theoretically available to anyone who really puts their mind to it, but realistically only 10% of the community would jump through the hoops to get them. Furthermore, if you wanted to begin T11 raiding with your legendary, you could theoretically grind it out before you stepped foot in a raid.

*EDIT* Thinking about it, completing the Insane title is kinda legendary. Why not reward that with a legendary item?

Imagine if they had legendaries for every slot on your character. However, every legendary required something two or three times more time-consuming than "Insane in the Membrane." Who would be that person that grinds out 19 legendaries?
Image
User avatar
Goins2754
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Great Lakes, IL

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby cerwillis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am

Goins2754 wrote:Regarding the theory that we should have access to the legendary loot FOR the content (which I am in agreement), what if the legendary was the reward for something as painstaking as the Insane title? I mean, at the basic level Insane is a very easy title to get. It doesn't require any real skill, it doesn't require 25 people, it doesn't require advanced macros to own people in PvP, it's just the mega, super, crazy time-sink achievement. Almost anyone could do it if they really put in the time and money.

So, what if that was the requirement to get a legendary item? What if it was along the same premise, but harder?

Examples:

1,000,000 personal honor kills rewards you with a faction-specific legendary weapon.
Collect every mount & pet in the game gets you a legendary bow (not counting purchase mounts & TCG pets, etc)
Complete 10,000 heroic dungeons while queued as Tank gets you a legendary shield.

These are things that can be completed by all, they're theoretically available to anyone who really puts their mind to it, but realistically only 10% of the community would jump through the hoops to get them. Furthermore, if you wanted to begin T11 raiding with your legendary, you could theoretically grind it out before you stepped foot in a raid.

While I see your point that this would provide the rarity that a legendary deserved, if the item actually provided a combat bonus, it would be considered required on every toon in the raid for a cutting edge guild. I'm sure that older raiders that I could tell stories of grindfest items that were considered mandatory, the ony cloak comes to mind, though I didn't raid back then.
Last edited by cerwillis on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
User avatar
cerwillis
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1306
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:00 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby katraya » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am

Goins2754 wrote:Imagine if they had legendaries for every slot on your character. However, every legendary required something two or three times more time-consuming than "Insane in the Membrane." Who would be that person that grinds out 19 legendaries?


Image


I do however like parts of your idea, but I don't see it happening.
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:36 am

katraya wrote:
Goins2754 wrote:Imagine if they had legendaries for every slot on your character. However, every legendary required something two or three times more time-consuming than "Insane in the Membrane." Who would be that person that grinds out 19 legendaries?


Image


I do however like parts of your idea, but I don't see it happening.


LOL. That's exactly who I was thinking of. I was gonna make a Chips a'Ho cookies reference, but I didn't think everyone would get it. :)

And yeah, these would be grindfests, but these guilds are also in competition for world firsts. Imagine if they just stopped progression raiding so they could go grind out this stuff? They'd never make it. Odds are, they'd just say "whatever, we can do this without that crap."

Now, more realistically, once raiding is over for an expansion (like right now) every one of those guys would be grinding hardcore to get as many legendaries as they could. But really, does the fact that they do this professionally diminish the accomplishment? I mean, 1,000,000 honor kills (for example) is just as impressive if I got it as if Kungen or Setja got it. And if they have the time and dedication to earn those rewards, then they deserve them.

I can see that, yes, they'd be grindfests, but on a core level, that's what WoW is. We're all after that carrot-on-a-stick gear, and this would be the ultimate carrot-on-a-stick.

*EDIT* Furthermore, this would bring up the idea of a Legendary-er weapon! Think of that. It's like +1 to Legendary! Imagine this:

The WotLK legendary requires 1,000,000 personal honor kills. This will reward you with the Legendary Alliance Greatsword "Hordekiller." Then Cataclysm comes out. At level 81, you replace your legendary sword with a quest green and you're a sad panda. But, they also replaced the old "Hordekiller" legendary with the new "Hordeslayer" legendary. This new Legendary-er Alliance Greatsword requires 2.5 million personal honor kills! OMG! The good news, you're almost halfway there already! Once you grind out "Hordeslayer," it will replace your "Hordekiller." You will probably be one of 3 people on your server (unless your server is particularly hardcore about PvP) to have this weapon, it distinguishes you as a PvP fan who invests quite a bit of time there, and your achievement won't be diminished when causal people reach the 1 mil honor kill mark just from playing BGs for 3 years off-and-on.
Image
User avatar
Goins2754
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Great Lakes, IL

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:33 am

While I personally haven't gone for the Insane title just yet, since I haven't permanently settled on who my ach whore is, I definitely like the idea of achievement Legendaries. It would allow those of us who are casual to eventually get one without necessarily having to wait for the next xpac to do previous xpac content... or trying to find a group of 10-25 competent people every week to grind out shards. While yes, I'm sure some of the items would be tied to doing raids/hard mode achs. There would still be Legendaries available for smaller guilds, if they're willing to invest the time. Again, as many have stated, I don't foresee this ever being implemented, but on the surface sounds like a good idea.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3924
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Dantriges » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:14 am

It would more or less turn into mandatory item for everyone who has a use for it.

Oh and please no pvp legendaries unles they turn into regular epics if you zone into a raid instance.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby crazyharry » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 am

My Shaman has been saving the world week in-week out for years now. Pretty much any item I own should become legendary by default.

:lol:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
User avatar
crazyharry
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:19 am

katraya wrote:Image


This is woefully inaccurate. The blinds are open.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Meloree » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:26 am

Shoju wrote:I think that if it were a legendary like this, it would go to the person who does the most for the raiding body. For my guild, that could be a DPS. For Flex and OotG, it could be a tank item. For Meloree's guild it could be a healer weapon. For Invis, it could be a shield that looks like his character half naked.


Unless the paradigm in Cataclysm changes massively, it would go to a tank first in every serious progression guild.
Meloree
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Vrimmel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:10 pm

On the other hand your average guild is usually lacking in dps rather than tank survivability and death tends to be related to obvious player mistakes, not the tuning.
Vrimmel
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:40 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Meloree wrote:Unless the paradigm in Cataclysm changes massively, it would go to a tank first in every serious progression guild.


Pretty much this. Other than, say, Faction Champions, there's never been a fight where tank death doesn't lead very shortly to fiery death.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Shoju » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Meloree wrote:
Shoju wrote:I think that if it were a legendary like this, it would go to the person who does the most for the raiding body. For my guild, that could be a DPS. For Flex and OotG, it could be a tank item. For Meloree's guild it could be a healer weapon. For Invis, it could be a shield that looks like his character half naked.


Unless the paradigm in Cataclysm changes massively, it would go to a tank first in every serious progression guild.


But, progression guilds aren't the only guilds that end up with legendaries.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby lythac » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Shoju wrote:
Meloree wrote:
Shoju wrote:I think that if it were a legendary like this, it would go to the person who does the most for the raiding body. For my guild, that could be a DPS. For Flex and OotG, it could be a tank item. For Meloree's guild it could be a healer weapon. For Invis, it could be a shield that looks like his character half naked.


Unless the paradigm in Cataclysm changes massively, it would go to a tank first in every serious progression guild.


But, progression guilds aren't the only guilds that end up with legendaries.


Correct, but it comes back to the argument that legendaries make the most difference in a tanks hands than anyone else's.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Meloree » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Shoju wrote:But, progression guilds aren't the only guilds that end up with legendaries.


To be fair, you said "Meloree's guild might give it to a healer".
Meloree
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am

Re: I want my Legendary tanking items!

Postby Shoju » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:17 am

lythac wrote:
Correct, but it comes back to the argument that legendaries make the most difference in a tanks hands than anyone else's.


For what? for the most progressed bleeding edge guilds? They aren't the only guilds who get the legendaries. My guild that has a revolving rotation of players who will still get a crack at legendaries in cat will probably not be handing it to a tank.




Meloree wrote:
Shoju wrote:But, progression guilds aren't the only guilds that end up with legendaries.


To be fair, you said "Meloree's guild might give it to a healer".



Let me rephrase,

Meloree's guild might give it to the tank,
Lythac's guild WILL give it to the tank
<Lurkers> will give it to the person who it will make the most difference for, which will probably NOT be a tank based on the structure of our guild.
Flex's guild might give it to their only shaman
<Lurkers> on Stormrage would give it to their DPS DK
My alliance guild would give it to their main healer.

Not everything in the game should be balacned around the bleeding edge of progression. Blizzard has finally caught on to that.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], KysenMurrin and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], KysenMurrin and 1 guest