Remove Advertisements

Cataclysm world events starting?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm world events starting?

Postby djlar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 am

So I had so many variables last night on these bosses, more tankards, afkers, amazing kills, etc.

Like this run for the fire boss, the tank died at 50%, the DPS DK switch presence and was tanking, I was DPSing with my lock, the other DPS guy also died, so it took a while and we killed that boss, was a close call as the DK died at 3%, my pet took a pounding for those moments and he went down. Good thing there because BRD run back is an annoyance.

Here I go again to this same boss (trying to get a piece to drop and not get ninjaed), this time we do wipe, long run back later, one player drops, I respawn, one player can't find his way to BRD, so I leave, I get the 30 min debuff.. mmmm.
djlar

Postby crazyharry » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 am

The world (of warcraft) needs more bosses like Grand Ambassador Flamelash. Many many DPS on my server are learning exactly why we don't stand in the fire. A nice long corpse run helps to cement the lesson in their heads.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:58 am

My server spent all of yesterday unable to save Stormwind. :|
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby culhag » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:20 am

Teranoid wrote:It seems like as expansions go by the events get more and more underwhelming. First in pre-BC you had Kruul basically destroying everything and then you had the whole zombie invasion/argent dawn stuff for Wrath and now.. whoopie elementals spend 3 weeks working to invade cities.

Maybe its just nostalgia but I went around on all my characters to do the scourge invasions and whatnot and to be honest I've done the quests on one toon and queued up a few times for the bosses and said screw it.

Lolwut ?
The events are getting better and better.

Pre-BC was just one quest near the Dark Portal. (I never saw Kruul)
Pre-LK was a one-week invasion with barely any introduction and no conclusion. They just disappeared one day. Oh and the re-heated scourge invasion from patch 1.11.
Now for Cata the invasion has been building up for weeks, with multiple quest chains and major characters involved. And don't forget the events for the Trolls and Gnomes.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:24 am

I find the gear drops from these events to be useless. Even if they're better gear than I have, why do I care? I'm going to replace all of it as soon as Cata hits, with greens and quest rewards no less.

At least with the Wrath event, the gear was usesull for leveling in the expansion.
Palisade

Postby Thornir » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:29 am

Palisade wrote:I find the gear drops from these events to be useless. Even if they're better gear than I have, why do I care? I'm going to replace all of it as soon as Cata hits, with greens and quest rewards no less.

At least with the Wrath event, the gear was usesull for leveling in the expansion.

It's useful to my freshly dinged mage; I can get a bunch of 251 gear from the fights and from the Justice points now instead of going into Cata with a bunch of 187s.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby djlar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:33 am

Same situation with my 1 and 1/2 day 80 lock... still with BoA trinkets and even shoulders (soon to be buying the T10).

It's gonna be easier questing with i251's at the beginning, if I get i284 greens on first quests, great...
djlar

Postby crazyharry » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 am

djlar wrote:Same situation with my 1 and 1/2 day 80 lock... still with BoA trinkets and even shoulders (soon to be buying the T10).

It's gonna be easier questing with i251's at the beginning, if I get i284 greens on first quests, great...

Ooooh, quest rewards, are we going for TBC clown suits or Wrath's Universally Gloomy look this time around?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Malthrax » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 am

Palisade wrote:At least with the Wrath event, the gear was usesull for leveling in the expansion.

barely... though it did result in a nice pile of Void Crystals to keep the 'goose enchants rolling through the first few weeks of WotLK.
Malthrax

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 am

Malthrax wrote:
Palisade wrote:At least with the Wrath event, the gear was usesull for leveling in the expansion.

barely... though it did result in a nice pile of Void Crystals to keep the 'goose enchants rolling through the first few weeks of WotLK.

As I recall, I didn't replace any of my retadin epics until around 77+, including those I picked up from the event.
Palisade

Postby Rofladin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 am

I've been having a good time with the pre-Cata events. They were fun on the PTR, and they're better on live with the absolute horde (pun intended) of people riding around Org en masse to track down elemental rifts. Sometime yesterday afternoon, the event in Thunder Bluff bugged out, with eight citizens on Elder Rise phasing out whenever you got near. The server didn't get to do the wind or water bosses at all last night. Hopefully it was fixed in the rolling restarts.

One thing I'd like to broadcast to everyone participating in the city defense: EARTHEN RING TOTEMS CAN BE USED TO DISPEL OTHER PLAYERS! That elemental stun is horrible, and anyone standing around could dispel it if they took the time.

As for the event bosses, I like that they're tuned to be hard enough to wipe a stupid group, but easy enough to farm if you're halfway competent. This is in contrast to most heroic instance bosses, which couldn't wipe you unless all group members decided to AFK at the same time. The mechanics are pretty fun, if basic, and if it's nice that you actually feel it if you decide to ignore them. What, standing in fire can kill you? Wow!

It's very nice to see vanilla zones again, especially the new AQ20 area in which they put the wind guy. I can't adequately relate how cool it was, zoning through the portal into ZF for the first time during testing to find level 80 elite trash standing around Gahz. That put a smile on my face.

So yes, overall, it's been a good time. I've gotten some funny (read: dumb, lazy, and/or undergeared) groups, had one wipe when a healer DCed, and gotten a new ring for my hunter which will be replaced in a few weeks. I chained Theradras seven times for the shield, got it on the last queue before the event ended, after the healer DCed (see above), beat out one DPS and the healer on need rolls, and then decided I didn't want to use it. Good times!
Rofladin

Postby Chunes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 am

So far Azgalor has been unable to save TB even once due to the mob phasing bug. Pain in my butt considering Theredras and Flamelash have now been farmed into oblivion.
Chunes

Postby djlar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:25 am

It's been such a chaos and lagfest on Mal'ganis, that I don't even know where to get the totems to free up the citizens... I tried but there's too much going on..
djlar

Postby Rofladin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 am

djlar wrote:It's been such a chaos and lagfest on Mal'ganis, that I don't even know where to get the totems to free up the citizens... I tried but there's too much going on..

I've actually been wondering if there's a phasing problem with the NPCs. Several times now I've ridden to what I thought was the nearest Earthen Ring station to grab an unbinding totem, only to get back to find an Earthen Ring Defender standing right at the entrance to the area I just left. This happened in Org and TB. It's very, very possible that I'm just unobservant and there's a lot going on with the wind/rain/fire/combat/players, but they seem so obvious standing there channeling their bright green spells. I dunno.
Rofladin

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Palisade wrote:
Malthrax wrote:

As I recall, I didn't replace any of my retadin epics until around 77+, including those I picked up from the event.

The epics from the event were iLevel 115... Karazhan quality. If you didn't replace them, you must not have been checking stats on anything :P
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to General