Remove Advertisements

Cataclysm Digital Presale Available

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm Digital Presale Available

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:50 am

Treck wrote:WHERE you play from doesnt matter at all (as long as you get it downloaded)

You would THINK that, but it's not entirely accurate. The reason I say this is for the following reason:

When Invis started leveling EU side, we tried doing Recruit A Friend from my EU account to his fresh one. However, because my battle.net account became associated with my US account, despite the US account being made over a year after the EU one, it associated me with the States and prevented me from doing Recruit a Friend due to a legal requirement that I have an EU battle.net account.

So... it may not work out as it seems it would. Frankly, I hope I'm wrong. But my experience with regional restrictions has not been great thus far.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 am

I'd assume (hope?) it's the note below "product level" on your Battle.net page that matters. Mine says "Cataclysm", so I expect that everything will work as soon as it's activated on the servers.

As for it giving you the 12.01 PST... Battle.net seems to be really bad at getting my location right when I have a US account and visit the site from the UK. Always tries to redirect me to EU version of pages and sometimes shows EU on account details that I know are US.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:56 am

KysenMurrin wrote:As for it giving you the 12.01 PST... Battle.net seems to be really bad at getting my location right when I have a US account and visit the site from the UK. Always tries to redirect me to EU version of pages and sometimes shows EU on account details that I know are US.

Ah that's good to know. Because we are indeed logging in from Canada.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:13 am

The e-mail I got also said "You will be able to play Cataclysm on December 7 at 12:01 AM Pacific time.", and I'm playing on the European servers from Europe. Probably just a bit they forgot when they copied the US mail for the EU version, considering the FAQ Slorkuz posted says it should be available at 12:01 AM CET.
Chicken

Postby Belloc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 am

Flex wrote:
Discus wrote:But what happens when WoW corrupts and you have to reinstall it from Disc as happened with WoTLK for me?

Restore from backup.

This. It's never a bad idea to make a complete copy of your WoW folder. If anything corrupts, just copy the WoW copy into place and you are back to the pre-corrupt state.

It's also great for when you want to install WoW on a new machine without the half-day install wait.
Belloc

Postby djlar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:44 am

The "live" 4.0.1 client, does it work like the PTR? meaning you only download core files and can play like that and the rest of the game downloads on the background?
djlar

Postby Pizbit » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Flex wrote:
Discus wrote:But what happens when WoW corrupts and you have to reinstall it from Disc as happened with WoTLK for me?

Restore from backup.

This, from a seperate HD. And my sister and her husband are buying discs so I can thief one of theirs for any issues down the road.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Pizbit wrote:
Flex wrote:

Restore from backup.

This, from a seperate HD. And my sister and her husband are buying discs so I can thief one of theirs for any issues down the road.

You can also download the 10 Meg on-line installer. It will continue to download files (some 10-20 gigs), but you can start logging in relatively quickly. It's certainly faster that doing a Classic -> TBC -> WotLK install.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Ezharon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 pm

After upgrading my account I proceed to download the 4.0.x installer and I'm going to backup its folder when finished.

For battle.net accounts with EU+US WoW accounts I think all is about the country you specify in your battle.net profile. You may need to modify the country to be able to swap between EU and US services (like recruit a friend).
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Pizbit » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:33 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:You can also download the 10 Meg on-line installer. It will continue to download files (some 10-20 gigs), but you can start logging in relatively quickly. It's certainly faster that doing a Classic -> TBC -> WotLK install.

Sure, but for me that sure as hell isn't happening haha, besides which it's a heck of a lot easier(and faster) just to copy off the other HD or thief some discs if the HD/folder gets corrupted.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:49 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:You can also download the 10 Meg on-line installer. It will continue to download files (some 10-20 gigs), but you can start logging in relatively quickly. It's certainly faster that doing a Classic -> TBC -> WotLK install.

But the WotLK install includes Classic and TBC content!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Pizbit wrote:

Sure, but for me that sure as hell isn't happening haha, besides which it's a heck of a lot easier(and faster) just to copy off the other HD or thief some discs if the HD/folder gets corrupted.

I have WoW installed on five different machines here, with another copy synched up locally every night, so I've done the copy back-and-forth thing more than once. I may have been the first person to suggest it on these forums several years ago, come to think.

But last night I tried the 10M on-line installer on a new machine just to see how well it worked. I was surprised and pretty impressed.

Also, did not realize WotLK included everything -- I haven't done a full install in a very long time.

Also, I imagine the Cat install will include all content, assuming it ships on disc and doesn't use the downloader.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby mavfin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:57 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
You can also download the 10 Meg on-line installer. It will continue to download files (some 10-20 gigs), but you can start logging in relatively quickly. It's certainly faster that doing a Classic -> TBC -> WotLK install.

You can install from the WotLK DVD if you're going that way w/o touching classic, etc. It's all about what the account is set up for, and not what's on your computer.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Ezharon wrote:After upgrading my account I proceed to download the 4.0.x installer and I'm going to backup its folder when finished.

For battle.net accounts with EU+US WoW accounts I think all is about the country you specify in your battle.net profile. You may need to modify the country to be able to swap between EU and US services (like recruit a friend).

No, this is not what they told me. They told me that once your account becomes associated with a certain region, in my case US, despite US being added to the battle.net account AFTER the EU account was long active, that I had to abide by US regulations. This is not modifiable.

We tried many MANY things to enable the RAF for EU side. Even going so far as to have a guildie log in from England to my battle.net account and attempt to recruit, praying that her European IP address would make a difference. It didn't work because my association became stuck within US region.

Edit: See this thread for more detail: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p570801
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Dianora » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:32 pm

According to WoW Insider, Blizzard is allowing anyone to download the files now.

This is the instruction:
1. Make sure World of Warcraft and/or the launcher and background downloader are completely closed.
2. Open up your World of Warcraft folder.
3. Open Launcher.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.
4. Open Config.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.
5. Run Launcher.exe and your launcher should go out of its way to grab the 700MB files. Please note that doing this will put your WoW in unplayable state until you've downloaded 320MB. Ideally, you do this before going to sleep, and in the morning, you'll have all of the new content.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

PreviousNext

Return to General