Cataclysm Digital Presale Available

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm Digital Presale Available

Postby rodos » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 am

Dhalphir wrote:the digital download is irrelevant to the issue, it merely complicates it

the core issue remains, I can't remmeber, did the US get Wrath a day earlier than the Oceanic timezones?

What happened in the past and what will happen this time are not necessarily related.

My reading of the information provided regarding the download are that regardless of how you come by the data, and when you get it, the Cata content will not be playable until 0:01 am, 7th December, PST. If the Sydney "midnight launch" events happen at 0:01 am, 7th December AEDT, you'll have a pretty but useless box for 18 hours until the servers open. If the in-store events happen 0:01 am, 8th December and you don't have the download, you'll miss out on 6 hours of leveling.
rodos

Postby Invisusira » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:00 am

Servers will be available to play for all at midnight, and pre-order digital downloads should be completed:

Americas, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia - December 7 at 12:01 a.m. PST
Europe and Russia - December 7 at 12:01 a.m. CET

The first time you log in after pre-ordering, your account will become eligible to begin receiving the Cataclysm data when it’s available. The data will automatically download in the background while you play World of Warcraft or while you have the Launcher window open.

This is an interesting twist if you're, say, in Canada and on EU realms... because it means you get to start playing Cata at 6:00 PM.
Invisusira

Postby Dhalphir » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:07 am

rodos wrote:
Dhalphir wrote:the digital download is irrelevant to the issue, it merely complicates it

the core issue remains, I can't remmeber, did the US get Wrath a day earlier than the Oceanic timezones?

What happened in the past and what will happen this time are not necessarily related.

My reading of the information provided regarding the download are that regardless of how you come by the data, and when you get it, the Cata content will not be playable until 0:01 am, 7th December, PST. If the Sydney "midnight launch" events happen at 0:01 am, 7th December AEDT, you'll have a pretty but useless box for 18 hours until the servers open. If the in-store events happen 0:01 am, 8th December and you don't have the download, you'll miss out on 6 hours of leveling.

our release date is Dec 7th this year

last year it was the day after the US, I just looked it up.

I think I'll just go down on the morning of the Tuesday at 8am or something and pick up my pre-order.

Depending on if Blizz shuts down the servers all day pre-release or not, I'll either chat it up with people until the release or just play Starcraft 2.
Dhalphir

Postby djlar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:54 am

I bought it!

Now.. making a plan to sleep during 12/6 to stay up all night (looking at the logging screen boss). hehehe
djlar

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:25 am

Invisusira wrote:Servers will be available to play for all at midnight, and pre-order digital downloads should be completed:

Americas, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia - December 7 at 12:01 a.m. PST
Europe and Russia - December 7 at 12:01 a.m. CET

The first time you log in after pre-ordering, your account will become eligible to begin receiving the Cataclysm data when it’s available. The data will automatically download in the background while you play World of Warcraft or while you have the Launcher window open.

This is an interesting twist if you're, say, in Canada and on EU realms... because it means you get to start playing Cata at 6:00 PM.

*dances*
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 am

But what happens when WoW corrupts and you have to reinstall it from Disc as happened with WoTLK for me?
Discus

Postby culhag » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:44 am

Discus wrote:But what happens when WoW corrupts and you have to reinstall it from Disc as happened with WoTLK for me?

Download.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:46 am

culhag wrote:
Discus wrote:But what happens when WoW corrupts and you have to reinstall it from Disc as happened with WoTLK for me?

Download.

(Which does take for-fucking-ever, mind you.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:48 am

culhag wrote:

Download.

A note: it's quicker to re-install from the discs, expansion pack by expansion pack, than it is to just download and install the whole thing.

I know this from experience.
Invisusira

Postby Chicken » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:23 am

Invisusira wrote:
culhag wrote:

Download.

A note: it's quicker to re-install from the discs, expansion pack by expansion pack, than it is to just download and install the whole thing.

It's even quicker to just pop in your WotLK disc, it'll install the full game for you without even having to bother with the Classic and TBC discs. Still need to grab the patches of course.
Chicken

Postby Treck » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:39 am

Invisusira wrote:
culhag wrote:

Download.

That depends a lot on your interenet, your gonna have to download some parts in any case.
Id rather download it all and install instead of trying with the CDs tbh, but if you cant download 30gig in an hour, you might be better off with CDs.
Treck

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:41 am

Chicken wrote:It's even quicker to just pop in your WotLK disc, it'll install the full game for you without even having to bother with the Classic and TBC discs. Still need to grab the patches of course.

Not now that we're on a completely different major build. WotLK discs will install 3.0 then you'll have to download 4.0.

Invisusira wrote:This is an interesting twist if you're, say, in Canada and on EU realms... because it means you get to start playing Cata at 6:00 PM.

Being in the UK playing on US servers, I get to start playing at 8am on the 8th, giving me the whole day without breaks to get ahead on levelling.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:43 am

KysenMurrin wrote:WotLK discs will only install to 3.0, though. You'll still have to download 4.0.

Invisusira wrote:This is an interesting twist if you're, say, in Canada and on EU realms... because it means you get to start playing Cata at 6:00 PM.

Being in the UK playing on US servers, I get to start playing at 8am on the 8th, giving me the whole day without breaks to get ahead on levelling.

We had thought this... but after ordering the EU copies, I received an e-mail telling me I would begin playing at 12:01 am December 7th PST... which is the wrong time zone for EU servers. So I'm wondering if it's going to prevent us from playing until the US servers go live because our accounts are associated with the US side despite having EU accounts on them.... For the same reason we weren't able to do refer a friend due to zone restrictions.

...Ouch.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 am

WHERE you play from doesnt matter at all (as long as you get it downloaded)
Its the servers themselves that gets "upgraded" to cata at that very hour.
If you play from another part of the world, you will experience cata the very same minute those on the other side of the world.
The game can be downloaded way before it actually happends, and as long as you got your accound bound to a "real" cata key, your copy can accept the cata data (aka start levelign) right as they start the event independant of your current timezone.
Treck

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:50 am

Restore from backup.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General