After 4.0.1--- Do you still like your Pally?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: After 4.0.1--- Do you still like your Pally?

Postby Barathorn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:53 am

Discus wrote: will probably dabble with Cataclysm, simply because its something to do until SW:TOR is released. Then I will pretty much put WoW behind me as a fun experience.

What's SW:TOR and where can I get it? :D

Have a look at the demo's, it looks good.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Levantine » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:34 am

I like my Pally more now, but that's because I play Holy. I was bad at 969 so I figure I'll be bad at 939 too.
Levantine

Postby Flex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am

Barathorn wrote:Have a look at the demo's, it looks good.

How many games release actual play footage where it looks horrible?

Well I guess games that just release cinematics fall into that.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Korghal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:07 am

Yeah i like it alot more then before 4.01. I see alot of people not having a gcd over while tanking, i never use AS until i need it. Its not needed for my rotation to keep aggro and its not a particularly high prio ability either.

I got more gcd's over now then i had before, i feel like i have more time to do other stuff such as stun, cast dispells and bop on raid. I feel more useful overall, and my aggro is through the roof since 4.01. Tho that might change in 4.03 with the nerfs coming so we will see :)
Korghal

Postby Amirya » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 am

Korghal wrote:i feel like i have more time to do other stuff such as stun, cast dispells and bop on raid. I feel more useful overall, and my aggro is through the roof since 4.01.

It's just the opposite for me. I used to use HoJ regularly enough to talent its CD to 30 seconds. Since 4.0, I haven't used it. Once. For anything. I had initially talented into it, and out of GbtL, because I figured, "why the hell would I use WoG?" I've since retalented back into GbtL, because I figured, "I need to waste a talent point somewhere, and it's lots of lulz to use WoG on my boyfriend in heroic Sethekk Halls because I have Holy Power to waste, and why the heck not."

I don't stun anything unless it's with Holy Wrath. I don't dispel/cleanse anything unless it's at the end of combat. I don't use any of the Hands. If I don't have anything to use during a GCD, I just auto attack.

The only raids I've done since patch is Ulduar, and that was a couple of attempts at Yogg +1 - I need 1 Light to get my Rusted Proto Drake. I didn't go last week because I was so aggravated with add spawns + inability to hold aggro since Judgement doesn't apply Vengeance (that I can tell) and having a goddamn Guardian spawn by the raid, run to the raid, run to me, then back to the raid finally caused me to snap (and I figured they wouldn't want me back at that point). They got their RPDs last night. Whether it's because they had a different tank, or just different group, I don't know. I had no threat problems pre patch, now I'm lucky if I can hold threat on paper towels.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 am

I thought Vengeance only stacked when we're getting hit? (Or am I totally wrong about that?)

Yeah, it has a ramp up time, but once you're there, you're solid, and no way in hell is someone going to rip something off you.

I didn't like my paladin either when the patch hit, and considered switching to my shaman. But I'm right back where I was pre-patch now: Still in love with my paladin and not changing mains.

That being said, it took me multiple MULTIPLE hours to get back to where I felt comfortable again. It was unpleasant for roughly 10-15 dungeons and there's still stuff I'm learning about the way we play that we didn't have to consider before.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:39 am

I figured she meant Censure, or whatever the name of the Seal of Truth DoT is now.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 am

Amirya wrote:I don't stun anything unless it's with Holy Wrath. I don't dispel/cleanse anything unless it's at the end of combat. I don't use any of the Hands. If I don't have anything to use during a GCD, I just auto attack.

Why not?

The only raids I've done since patch is Ulduar, and that was a couple of attempts at Yogg +1 - I need 1 Light to get my Rusted Proto Drake. I didn't go last week because I was so aggravated with add spawns + inability to hold aggro since Judgement doesn't apply Vengeance (that I can tell) and having a goddamn Guardian spawn by the raid, run to the raid, run to me, then back to the raid finally caused me to snap (and I figured they wouldn't want me back at that point). They got their RPDs last night. Whether it's because they had a different tank, or just different group, I don't know. I had no threat problems pre patch, now I'm lucky if I can hold threat on paper towels.

There's a lot of doing it wrong in there and Paladin mechanics have nothing to do with it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby kennywu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Amirya wrote:I don't stun anything unless it's with Holy Wrath. I don't dispel/cleanse anything unless it's at the end of combat. I don't use any of the Hands. If I don't have anything to use during a GCD, I just auto attack.

This is the secret sauce of paladins. This is the fourth dimension of paladin raiding in WoW. You can master the Healadin, the Retadin, and the Protadin. But to master the secret sause puts yourself in an elite brotherhood/sisterhood of paladins that utilize every single one of thier light given abilites to ensure the sucess of raid domination.
kennywu

Postby Amirya » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:22 pm

...well, I've also quit raiding.

And with the expac 3 weeks away or so, I'm still debating on if I want to slay internet dragons or just continue being a virtual god to these little silly Sims who just will not die of old age.

Edit: And I realised I somehow missed the other responses.

Whatever it is that Judgement does not apply, I didn't have. I realise with the changes, DPS cannot go balls to the wall nuke 'em down in a mad dps race without consequences. I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is, dps who cannot go balls to the wall nuke 'em down in a mad dps race and don't pay attention when told they cannot do that.

I don't recall precisely the wording of when I snapped on my last Yogg attempt, but I think it went something like (bear in mind, I took theater in school, I know how to project my voice):
So guys. When the tank says to bring any new friends to her, that means...BRING THEM TO HER. That does not mean run left or right, does not mean run to the wall, does not mean running in fucking circles hitting every goddamn green cloud that you can while flailing your hands madly in the air while whining you have a friend, yet somehow making those fucking circles into a spiral where you get further and further away from the tank, and somehow incite this same madness unto your fellow raiders until you're all doing the exact same shit.

Of course, if it's midfight, it's usually whittled into a, "stop being a fucking idiot", but when a wipe happens...

So, I haven't raided since, and the lack of agitation is kinda nice.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:38 pm

Amirya wrote:Whatever it is that Judgement does not apply, I didn't have.

That's a very obvious statement.
Flex

Postby Mitranim » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:57 am

I read through this thread, and my story is going to be a bit different.

Throughout 3.3+, I enjoyed healing on my paladin alt and doing cool overpowered things, like soloing 25 people heal on Toravon or 10 man ICC hardmodes. However, I gradually became bored with three-button wonder, and was ready to abandon her in Cata. Ret and prot were even more boring than holy.

However, in the end it was patch 4.0.1 that brought me to reroll from my insanely monstrous DK to formerly ready-to-abandon paladin alt.

For a week after the patch, I was totally lost in a horrendous maelstrom of AoE destruction which is now Frost DK, farming heroics non-stop just for the sake of it (clearing most of them in 7 minutes or so), leaving wake of destruction on BGs, making raid healers hate me and raid DPS loathe me and so on. The patch sure brought exciting changes for DKs. Got a grip with other specs as well.

But after some time spent on paladin I actually liked it too. New mechanics have really made healing interesting, and tanking even more facerolling yet more exciting. Did I like it? Hell yes.

In preparation for Cata, I gradually understood my misbelief about the way I played on my main: I didn't actually play DPS as I intended to. When you tank every trash pull in a raid due to aggro, every 10 man and 5 mans because no one else does, have to keep tank offspec and gear because otherwise some raids just won't happen, that's not much of a DPS play. So my grim perspective was to continue either holding back on damage, or dieing to aggro on every trash pull the entire next expansion? Like hell I was going to!

As they say, if you want to get things done, do it yourself. Sick of dieing and seeing people die, I went main healing at last.

I love it.

With my new paladin I'm going to roflstomp everyone on healing meters in Cata. And at least there's no holding back on this. ;D
Competence is a myth. Whoever screws up last, wins.
Форго
Могг
Митраним (ex-main)
Mitranim

Postby Diocaska » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 am

Amirya wrote:...well, I've also quit raiding.

And with the expac 3 weeks away or so, I'm still debating on if I want to slay internet dragons or just continue being a virtual god to these little silly Sims who just will not die of old age.

On the same boat. Cannot decide what to do still. Changed my mind countless times on what I'm doing the last two months.

Ontopic: Losing Pursuit of Justice was enough of a reason to bench the Paladin until Cata, assuming I even play during Cata. I cannot believe how much I missed it. The rotation seems too AOE heavy for me, that said, I like how there is a little wiggle room as opposed to before with AS sometimes flashing up at me.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 am

I'll still be leveling my hunter(s) first, since there's so much to do for a hunter and since my hunters are also my gatherers (yeah, there's a pun there somewhere..).

If I play the pally again will be determined on how the dust settles, but I don't think I'll be tanking again. I don't want to commit 4 nights a week again, and with multiple toons already, there's just too much other stuff to do in limited time. I may just level the pally enough to get the new JC patterns, assuming that I need to get to the phased quartermaster for the good patterns.

But if DK frost is easier than Ret.. the pally is in trouble.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Amirya » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:33 am

Diocaska wrote:
Amirya wrote:...well, I've also quit raiding.

On the same boat. Cannot decide what to do still. Changed my mind countless times on what I'm doing the last two months.

2 weeks to go. Still no reservation at GameStop. Still don't know.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General