Remove Advertisements

After 4.0.1--- Do you still like your Pally?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: After 4.0.1--- Do you still like your Pally?

Postby thatguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:45 pm

I used my pally for WotLK due to the lore involved. It was a great ride and I'll always have a soft spot for my pally. For Cata, I'm leaning towards having a holy/shadow priest as my main. I was never a "world class" pally but this site sure made me better so thanks to all of you out there.
thatguy

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 am

I like the idea just fine (I would assess myself as an OK tank prior to the changes), though I can't help but feel like a terrible tank when it seems so easy for dps to steal aggro from me in heroic 5-mans (fat finger something? no aggro for you!). Now I do feel like I am actually doing something that requires skill (being told pallys are 'easymode' makes me wish I could ShoR friendlies), and allows me to make some choices on how I handle things - at least if the DPS bother to wait long enough for me to finish the initial aggro dance. So I find my motivation to PuG dungeons almost non-existant.

that said - for the first week or two after the patch I seriously thought about only using my main to farm dailies while I leveled my alt rogue (sub finally got some love).
benebarba

Postby Kiorken » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Ok,

After getting accustomed to the new playstyle, gearing up with stuff from the new Justice Point system, and carrying my friends by server transferring, I have fallen in love with my Paladin again. It's great!

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Postby Arianne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:37 pm

I think that the 4.0.1 pally is a better pally system. It's more engaging and interesting. I'm worried about the relative importance of WoG in our rotation/skill set. I don't particularly like healing myself while raid tanking or worrying about getting a GBtL shield on every WoG usage because I'd rather worry about what the rest of the raid is doing and calling out important events (ie: I'd rather raid lead than cooldown manage). I'm somewhat worried that in order to play the best I can, I'll need to stop raid leading entirely so that I can focus on the new complexities of paladin tanking.
Arianne

Postby Barathorn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 am

It's ok, its about as much fun as before but really the buttons you press or combination thereof don't define the style of play you use. If you enjoy tanking, then you will love the new changes no matter what. I pretty much agree with how Amirya feels.

I can't say I love my Paladin at the moment but then I don't love my Warrior Tank either. The only characters I am currently enjoying after a break are my [80] Hunter and [14] Rogue, plus my [30] Tauren Warrior who I am having a blast with in the battlegrounds.

I will probably dabble with Cataclysm, simply because its something to do until SW:TOR is released. Then I will pretty much put WoW behind me as a fun experience.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Arianne wrote:I don't particularly like healing myself while raid tanking or worrying about getting a GBtL shield on every WoG usage

why would you worry about getting a GbtL shield on every WoG usage?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Senador » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Currently, between 4.0.1 release and Cataclysm, I have a few frustrations with my paladin.

It annoys me that AoE threat for paladin seems to want to incorporate an ability that we do not get until 81.

It annoys me when I do not have the cool down power that the other tanks have, as Paladin’s shield wall (40% reduction) is delayed until level 85.

It frustrates me that I have not adjusted fully to using Divine Protection as often as I could, or using Ardent Defender more often. I am still in the habit of using Divine Protection for “Burst” moments instead of to mitigate damage throughout, both due to old habits, and the lack of the higher damage reduction ability.

I dislike having to wait until 3 Holy Power to do the initial burst threat from that first Shield of the Righteous.

I find it tedious to juggle glyphs between trash and single targets, as single target glyphs are actually detrimental to multi target/trash (Focused Shield), as opposed to simply being slightly better. (Especially since it removes your Seal when you change Glyphs… regardless of what glyph you actually change. Seriously, why is that ‘feature’ there?) Is it hard to deal with? No. Is it tedious and annoying? Yes

Those are probably my biggest frustrations right now; though this might again be more due to top end gearing issues in 4.0.1, and my own coping than with the actual changes and my own play patterns as they’ve developed over the last couple of years. I do understand several issues go away as you level (You gain access to GoANK, and Inquisition for AoE/Trash, more practice will gain more comfort with current cool downs, talent change to allow Divine Plea to give 3 Holy Power at the start of the encounter; etc). I just find it frustrating while playing the game right now while working on finishing heroic ICC, attempting to keep threat over a DK tank with SM, and realizing I don’t have the cool down potency to deal with Soul Reaper I once had. At 85, once I again have the “complete” paladin package, I’ll likely feel better about the situation.
Senador

Postby Arianne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Arianne wrote:I don't particularly like healing myself while raid tanking or worrying about getting a GBtL shield on every WoG usage

That's what I'm ending up doing now on hard fights (particularly heroic LK). I realize that in Cata we'll end up theoretically sitting at lower HP for more of the time, but I imagine there will still be fights where we'll be at full HP with expected burst damage at points where we'll want to make sure to have a GBtL shield up. It seems tedious to me to have to maintain Holy Shield, and not want to cripple HoPo usage, while needing to save WoG for key points during a fight. It leaves very little time to do anything else when you have to watch your boss timer and see that you have 10s left to X ability and need to decide in a second whether to use the 3 HoPo WoG you have now so that you can build a new one, or save it.

I also just find doing damage/threat more interesting/exciting than healing myself and I hope that we don't end up balanced around healing ourselves constantly and using SoI. I'll do it if that's what's necessary. /shrug
Arianne

Postby sahiel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:14 am

I'm not sure exactly why, since the rotation requires (a little) more attention which I approve of, but I'm really not able to find any fun in my pally at the moment, everything just seems somewhat forced maybe, I really can't put my finger on it. In contrast my DK is an absolute blast to play, the constantly changing ability usage, watching for runes and mixing rune strike/death strikes in the most beneficial manner, dependent both on damage taken/avoided and which runes are up, timing abilities to make the best use of blade barrier... it's just fun managing all that.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 am

will probably dabble with Cataclysm, simply because its something to do until SW:TOR is released. Then I will pretty much put WoW behind me as a fun experience.

What's SW:TOR and where can I get it? :D
Discus

Postby HollerTH » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 am

Star wars, from what little I have seen of the game it looks promising but so has every other flop of an MMO in the last few years.
HollerTH

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 am

Arianne wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

That's what I'm ending up doing now on hard fights (particularly heroic LK). I realize that in Cata we'll end up theoretically sitting at lower HP for more of the time, but I imagine there will still be fights where we'll be at full HP with expected burst damage at points where we'll want to make sure to have a GBtL shield up.

nah

If you are at full hp in cata content you're probably roflstomping something or not in combat.

At least I have yet to see anything challenging that required I hit WoG in advance while simultaneously not being able to hit me for significant damage otherwise.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby DC1033 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Since the patch I left my pally at the back of the list of my toons to work on putting a new tank in its place with my DK, today after talking with someone about it I finally put the points and glyphs and gave tanking a shot. Not really convinced I will like being a prot pally in Cata, but at least I will give it a try if not I have my other tanks to use.
When you need someone to control Amirya, just call for DC!!
DC1033

Postby Amirya » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

So it was a fabulous experience?

What did you see as specific good points? Bad points? Meh points?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby DC1033 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Amirya wrote:So it was a fabulous experience?

What did you see as specific good points? Bad points? Meh points?

Knew i forgot something...

The good points was the boosted damage i saw across the board and specced right you would have avenger's shield ready when you need it instead of waiting on the CD so I can chain pull as fast as I used to. Bad point is I am not sure about the holy power yet, only because i haven't let the thought of having to save up holy power become something i am comfortable with. Though it might be fun to play our old game of "Who is the better tank?" though it always just comes down to which of us is crazier and pulls the most and scares our healers and raids to death...
When you need someone to control Amirya, just call for DC!!
DC1033

PreviousNext

Return to General