PTR client available for download

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: PTR client available for download

Postby Shathus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:39 am

Flex wrote:am I just incapable of reading?

Patch 4.0.1 should be the pre-Cata push. They also said that all players, no matter which expansion they have, will get the revamped old world but this blue confuses me
Patch 4.0.1 is slated to be released prior to Cataclysm and will not include the changes to the old world or any content exclusive to Cataclysm

So does the wording imply two game worlds or am I dumb?

4.0.1 will just just be a 'normal' patch with class and UI changes, then 4.0.x will be the actual Cataclysm event with Deathwing tearing Azeroth a new one, enabled goblins and worgen, etc is my guess.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:40 am

Flex wrote:am I just incapable of reading?

Patch 4.0.1 should be the pre-Cata push. They also said that all players, no matter which expansion they have, will get the revamped old world but this blue confuses me
Patch 4.0.1 is slated to be released prior to Cataclysm and will not include the changes to the old world or any content exclusive to Cataclysm

So does the wording imply two game worlds or am I dumb?

Patch 4.0.1 will push probably a week or two before the release date. You'll get to run around and have happy fun times with new gear, spell, and talent systems. On the day Cata releases, they'll push another patch where the actual world changes are applied. Once that patch goes out, all the old world shit will be gone.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:59 am

Man, I don't remember 3.0 being "happy fun times". It was more like "holy fuck how do I tank?"
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 am

Wouldn't know about that. When 3.0 hit I was on my Enh shaman abusing the new Feral Spirits.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:06 am

Nikachelle wrote:Man, I don't remember 3.0 being "happy fun times". It was more like "holy fuck how do I tank?"
Prot Paladins were definitely in a bit of rough spot in 3.0 at first. We were the only tanks without a full complement of our eventual threat moves, and it made our threat weak in comparison to them. I leveled heavily doing instances with guild groups when WotLK was fully released, and my threat didn't feel good until I hit level 75 and got ShoR.
Chicken

Postby Flex » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:17 am

One nice thing I noticed. NPCs who are either the target of a quest or who has a quest will always have a visible name to make them standout. Need to go kill 10 Moongrazer Bucks that are mixed in with Moongrazer Stags? The Bucks now easily standout with a red name plate.

Also I absolutely love that the hunter starting pets are little itty bitty babies.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:21 am

ulushnar wrote:Curiously though, the DK tanking Runeforges still give Defense when last I checked.

They now give 4% Armor and 2% Stamina instead of Def and Stam. At least, a pair of Nerubian Carapace forges does, I didn't look at Stoneskin Gargoyle (my DK unfortunately doesn't have a 2-hander, and I'd forgotten I needed one until I wrote this post...).

Wish I had more Glyphs to play with, unfortunately I didn't think to pull a load of mats out of the guild bank before copying my Scribe.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Xfighter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:37 am

Nikachelle wrote:Man, I don't remember 3.0 being "happy fun times". It was more like "holy fuck how do I tank?"

Pft, on raid-damage heavy fights all that was needed was to judge light on the boss, and then AFK. It sure surprised me on our first raid day after the patch with me on offtank duty on Najentis.... quickly figured out what was causing the massive threat.. haha.
Xfighter

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 am

I wasn't having threat issues. (And I wasn't judging light either.) It was the "I've just put new spells on my bars and I'm not really sure when/how to use them" which wasn't helped since I decided to do a whole bar clean-up and ended up moving most of my spells and confusing the shit out of myself.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:17 am

Just to see how big of a difference there is, I did something that I've done on live a lot lately: I went into Utgarde Pinnacle Heroic solo. On the first trash pull I died in about 5 seconds.

The lag is pretty unbearable today.

Some damage numbers without Vengeance up:

-Judgement = 900 (Glyphed)
-Holy Wrath = 3000
-Crusader Strike = 900
-HotR = ~300 initial, ~1000 AoE (Glyphed) (Edit: 2P T10 bonus)
-Avenger's Shield = 4500-5000
-ShoR = 4500 (3HP), 2200 (2HP), 700 (1HP) (Glyphed)
-Hammer of Wrath = 2200

Holy Wrath is surprisingly good against single target. I expected Judgement to be stronger.

I am specced Wrath of the Lightbringer and Crusade.

The ShoR numbers I'm not sure on - 4500 is what I was seeing out in the field, but I had some 18k crits on a test dummy.

Edit: My Sense Undead is still active, even though it was removed.

Prot healing:
I can cast about the same number of Divine Lights from full mana as I can cast Holy Lights on live.
Holy Light, on the other hand - I can spam Holy Light on myself and my mana regens almost as fast as I spend it. The healing isn't that great, though, only 4k.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby PsiVen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:14 am

As I recall, this is how the 3.0 PTR went:

PTR goes up. Paladins missing key ingredients like several talents that were just added/discussed in beta.
2 weeks later, PTR patch goes in. Paladins still missing some important things, Ret not so much.
2 weeks later, 3.0 goes live. Paladins missing the same important things that were missing on the PTR.
4 weeks later, expansion goes live. Paladins finally get missing things, but still feel incomplete until 75. Those who value their sanity level Ret.

I guess this time we will see a slightly fresher build if they're committing to update both at once, which explains their confidence in being able to flip the switch on Cataclysm's release. The primary purposes of the PTR are to hunt down major problems that will trip up the launch switch, and tune the ICC buff so that 30000 people don't suddenly kill the Lich King on Heroic because they made it too easy.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 am

Only wimps leveled Ret.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Thornir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 am

Nikachelle wrote:Only wimps leveled Ret.

Amen. Holy is so much more fun :P
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:28 am

Thornir wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Only wimps leveled Ret.

Amen. Holy is so much more fun :P

lol well I leveled my paladin as prot and my priest as holy... does that count? ;)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Loras » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:45 am

offtopic: EU not getting character copies available for a 2nd day in a row, and not getting any feedback or information about it (apart from a single "we will look into character copies") is getting annoying :(
Loras

PreviousNext

Return to General