PTR client available for download

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: PTR client available for download

Postby Thornir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Got a question, Protector of the Innocent doesn't affect other healers' output but yours, right?

I have no idea. However, to move down the tree, I need either 2 in that or Imp HoJ.

Actually, with HoJ becoming our "interrupt", I could go for a reduced CD.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Pala » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:56 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Yeah, right at the start I got a bit annoyed at Hunters running in and two-shotting mobs from range right as I was trying to run over and attack.

But, I got to level 10 and specced Prot, and I am now one-shotting mobs with Avenger's Shield.
Level 10 AoE grinding: Pull 4 mobs, Avenger's Shield, kill the one left alive.

It was incredible when I hit level 9. I was having trouble with two murlocs before. Then with Word of Glory I was gathering three or four up. Then at 10 with Avenger's Shield? Crazy. Tonight I had a new experience with the game. It was the first time I saw Hogger. The silly pig didn't know what hit him.

I'm on the EU Brill PvE server which is new and exciting. I made a maintankadin channel too and my paladin is named Rosey. :)
Last edited by Pala on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm speccing Protector of the Innocent on my lowbie Paladin because Word of Glory is a pretty big deal at that level. My main is getting Imp. HoJ.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Thyre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 am

Hello

Downloaded PTR yesterday. While i am waiting for my mainchars i just played a Protpaly from 1-15.

I admit i realy do hate the most things they changed for us but i try to be realy objectiv:

If i would be a absolut new player i would have stoped playing at level 12. It is SO boring. Off cource Pala was allways boring to level but this was a major point they wantet to change. AS is not a good class skill. It is honestly extrem strong but the cd, 24 sec if i remember right, is so horrible long. If i can use AS i am God and it s forcing me to find 3 mob packs to use it to his maximum. If not i am a joke. Its not funy anymore. No Judgment of Light healing isn t making thinks easier. Of cource WoG is very strong at low level. But i wouldn t call it fun to beat mobs just becaus i can powerheal me as if i was a healer... when i am playing a meele. CS is ...let s just say it fails at making lowlevel paladin really more intresting.

Holy Power decay at 10 sek per stack is horror. For low and high level. What s the point of allways forcing paldin to rush rush rush.

Once the blue said that every talentpoint will realy IMPROVE your char at the moment you spend them. That s the reason for only have half of the points we ar used to have. But puting points in t1/t2 of Prot does nearly nothing for you. SoT increasing sealdamge bei 15% is nothing. Compared to Crusade in ret (30% more damage on TV and so on) and massiv more Judgmend range it is frustrating.

You can say this is QQ but again if i was a new player i would have stoped playing or jumped to another class/roll.

Dunno if this is what they wanted.
Thyre

Postby amh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:22 am

I'm going to have to disagree on the boring and/or weak part. At least compared to how paladins used to be. Long cooldown on AS aside, you do quite a bit of dps with just crusader strike and judgement. Beats the crap out of judgement... wait a few seconds... judgment... wait a few seconds... judgement. While I agree that the ret-tree is a lot more awesome at lower levels, the prot-tree is just about as dull as before - but not worse, surely.

but again if i was a new player i would have stoped playing or jumped to another class/roll.

Do you really think the leveling experience is worse now than it was in vanilla, tbc or wotlk?
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Thyre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:38 am

amh wrote:I'm going to have to disagree on the boring and/or weak part. At least compared to how paladins used to be. Long cooldown on AS aside, you do quite a bit of dps with just crusader strike and judgement. Beats the crap out of judgement... wait a few seconds... judgment... wait a few seconds... judgement. While I agree that the ret-tree is a lot more awesome at lower levels, the prot-tree is just about as dull as before - but not worse, surely.

but again if i was a new player i would have stoped playing or jumped to another class/roll.

Do you really think the leveling experience is worse now than it was in vanilla, tbc or wotlk?

No it is not. By far not.

But thats not the point.

Point is it is still boring and will not help getting more new players in the game. For Prot at least.
Thyre

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:52 am

Thyre wrote:No it is not. By far not.

But thats not the point.

Point is it is still boring and will not help getting more new players in the game. For Prot at least.

Might be for the best -- Remember when people thought they could tank with their DKs as long as they were in frost presence.

Heck, just read pooba's frustrations or just about anyone else frustration when leveling and being paired with a "tank" that is doing all the wrong things.

At least till this expansion, you could smell a bad tank away from 30 yards away with a quick insp if they were not meeting the min def threshold -- with that gone and now uncritability coming from talents, well....

I mean, I remember reading not so long ago about someone trying to bear tank UK... with less health than the dps.

**woke up in a bad mood**
**needs coffee, badly**
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Chicken » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 am

It's a fair point I'd say too. Avenger's Shield is definitely a very important ability, but it's got a fairly long cooldown. I'd actually think Shield of the Righteous would work out better as the spec 'bonus ability', it'd also give new Prot Paladins another use for Holy Power a good deal earlier as they're currently stuck with just Word of Glory until level 39. To compensate for the loss of pulling ability we'd need to reduce the level required to learn Exorcism a bit. Luckily there seems to be a bit of a dry spell when it comes to new abilities in the 9-14 range, so put Exorcism on level 12 and we have a pulling tool in time for the LFD tool, which also neatly pops up after you've just started in your second leveling area, where you'll have had a chance to notice that sometimes it's better to pull from range.
Chicken

Postby sherck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 am

Noob question.

If you copy a toon to the PTR, do you lose the use of that toon for live realms?

I really want to see my Holy Pally under the 4.0 system of healing (with no Spirit gear, okay, perhaps not) but still want to finish Loremaster on him.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Chicken » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:39 am

You won't lose access to your character doing so. You can even play the character while the copy process is ongoing without any issue.
Chicken

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:39 am

Chicken wrote:It's a fair point I'd say too. Avenger's Shield is definitely a very important ability, but it's got a fairly long cooldown. I'd actually think Shield of the Righteous would work out better as the spec 'bonus ability', it'd also give new Prot Paladins another use for Holy Power a good deal earlier as they're currently stuck with just Word of Glory until level 39. To compensate for the loss of pulling ability we'd need to reduce the level required to learn Exorcism a bit. Luckily there seems to be a bit of a dry spell when it comes to new abilities in the 9-14 range, so put Exorcism on level 12 and we have a pulling tool in time for the LFD tool, which also neatly pops up after you've just started in your second leveling area, where you'll have had a chance to notice that sometimes it's better to pull from range.

Is it just me or do warriors seem to have better tools to tank at the lower levels -- at least till they're level 49? (where holy shield becomes available for paladins)

I know -- the game is not balanced at low levels but for lvl 85 players -- but how a class feels in the low levels is a make or break for new players on whether they stick to that class or move to a different one.

**still not coffee**
**rage**

No, you don't lose your toon.
---
Klaudandus

Postby inthedrops » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:21 am

i finally played on the PTR a bit. Copied my toon over. My tank is in full 277 gear, much of which is BiS. I went into REGULAR Violet Hold solo and by the time I was done killing the first trash pack I was down to 1/3 health. There's something fishy going on with the mob levels in there and how much damage they do. Someone in trade mentioned that the mobs are acting like level 85 or something.

Does anyone know what's going on?

I did a lot less damage that I expect but I'm sure at least half of that is me not knowing the rotation well. My armor was about 4 to 6k less than live, but that doesn't explain it completely. On live I can solo that place without taking any damage from trash (except casters). Given how much damage I took, and how little damage I put out, I tend to think that maybe the level 80 mobs were in fact acting as higher level mobs.

A buddy of mine went into ICC 10 regular on his Druid healer and he said the saberlash was hitting each of the two tanks for 35k. The went splat in a matter of seconds after the pull.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Thornir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 am

inthedrops wrote:i finally played on the PTR a bit. Copied my toon over. My tank is in full 277 gear, much of which is BiS. I went into REGULAR Violet Hold solo and by the time I was done killing the first trash pack I was down to 1/3 health. There's something fishy going on with the mob levels in there and how much damage they do. Someone in trade mentioned that the mobs are acting like level 85 or something.

Does anyone know what's going on?

I did a lot less damage that I expect but I'm sure at least half of that is me not knowing the rotation well. My armor was about 4 to 6k less than live, but that doesn't explain it completely. On live I can solo that place without taking any damage from trash (except casters). Given how much damage I took, and how little damage I put out, I tend to think that maybe the level 80 mobs were in fact acting as higher level mobs.

A buddy of mine went into ICC 10 regular on his Druid healer and he said the saberlash was hitting each of the two tanks for 35k. The went splat in a matter of seconds after the pull.

Mobs have been buffed in all instances, or so I've heard.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby djlar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 am

There's no char copies at this moment, so I went and roll a level 1 Orc Hunter, to see the focus thingy at first hand...

- Lowbie hunters are OP, spam 3 arcane shots, target dead, pet helps taunting (you can't control it yet).

- Textures look like crap, well it's PTR so heck it..

- Too many people rolling level 1 hunters.. WTF? as soon as I learned "Track beasts" I turned it on and I could see like 100 more hunters on the mini map! ("green" beasts)

- New tracking feature, you can track 2 types (or more) on the minimap.. say beasts and class trainer at the same time

- My enjoyment came to a halt... my grafx card overheated!, so I set the grafx card to 1024x768, set everything to low, still the card overheated like every 15 mins of game play. IDK my card can handle lagaran with full grafx settings on high on live servers but can't take drawing 100's of people on the PTR on low..

- I think I may wait a bit until the PTR is more stable

- They say they removed armor pen also? didn't check.
djlar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:38 am

I wonder if it's the same bug that plagued SC2 orginally -- the gfx issue that is
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General