PTR client available for download

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: PTR client available for download

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:17 pm

This isn't much, but...

...on Tuesday they added some pre-Cataclysm quests to the PTR. Guys in all the major cities,
sending you to talk to shamans in Stormwind and Ironforge(?), and the shamans tell you that
elementals are starting to go nuts and we've got to do something.

If those (relatively simple) quests prove bug-free, they could drop them onto the Live
servers...this coming Tuesday, if everything happens astoundingly fast. The (much needed imho)
tuning pass hasn't even appeared on the test servers yet, so don't expect the new talents
to go live any time soon. I'd guess 2-4 weeks after the tuned abilities go up for testing
before you can hope to see them get pushed live, and that's if things go pretty smoothly.
Arcand

Postby sherck » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:03 am

Flex wrote:So 72K raid healing in a single GCD is weak?

Hmmm...interesting question.

I say it is "weak" because it was only hitting people for about 3600 avg in my gear and on a 30 sec CD, that is a very small drop in the bucket when looking at raid wide damage.

However, when you say "I healed 72k damage within a single CD," then that is a very high number.

The 30 sec CD is what, I think, makes me look at this spell (and Divine Radiance when we get it) as weak. I think of the Wrath model of healing and see the need for AoE heals MUCH more often then every 30 seconds.

And I cannot believe that the Cata model is going to be significantly different or else healers are going to be bored out of their minds. Sure, do I expect it to be the healing click-fest it is now? Not normally but I suspect that AoE raid heals will need to be cast signifcantly more often than once every 15 seconds (stagger LoD and DR by 15 seconds and you can cast one of the two of them every 15 secs). And that is only as often as a Paladin can heal more than 2 targets at a time.

But, I see the original point. The main problem with both LoD and DR is that they effect an unlimited number of toons and can then channel that large healing amount through the Beacon. I guess I could see two solutions to not allow that to happen so that then Blizzard could set the healing amount to something that would actually be useful every 30 seconds:

1. De-couple the AoE heals from Beacon
2. Limit the number of targets that the spells hit or a healing cap as Flex mentioned to limit the overall healing from the spell.

But, I still think the Paladin AoE heals need to look more like what other classes have (shorter CD, hits a limited number of people, hits for more) if we are ever going to be considered viable raid healers.

Arcand wrote: Is that common, or is it "the highest number anyone's ever claimed"?

Flex wrote: The spell heals for about 3400 in my T10 mix gear. If I hit 23 people with it that's 78K healing done to the raid in a GCD. I don't think the cooldown and relatively weak baseline of it is due to beacon but simply because it can be quite powerful in such circumstances.

One way to counter it is to have it follow AOE damage caps. Say heals up to 10 people for 3400 each and then divides that 34K down the more people it heals.

So, 2 examples of this working this way. Big number but I am unsure that it has a big effect in the long run....3-4k heals once every 30 seconds just seems like a serious drop in the bucket even at level 80 Wrath health pool numbers.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Loras » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:39 pm

Relying on all the other 23 people to be hugged every 30 sec in order to heal 72k in a single GCD is a bit unrealistic. Following the same logic, 30k dps in a single GCD is something awesome. On trash...
Loras

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:38 pm

sherck wrote:And I cannot believe that the Cata model is going to be significantly different or else healers are going to be bored out of their minds. Sure, do I expect it to be the healing click-fest it is now? Not normally but I suspect that AoE raid heals will need to be cast signifcantly more often than once every 15 seconds (stagger LoD and DR by 15 seconds and you can cast one of the two of them every 15 secs). And that is only as often as a Paladin can heal more than 2 targets at a time.

The Cata model IS significantly different. Healers will not be bored out of their minds.

Right now in WotLK, the model is kind of like filling a series of drinking cups with a garden hose.

In Cata, it's more like filling a series of kiddie pools.

If you understand this metaphor then you win like 10 points.
disclaimer: points aren't actually worth anything
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby amh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:11 am

Woo, actual successful character copies.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:31 am

Sabindeus wrote:The Cata model IS significantly different. Healers will not be bored out of their minds.

Right now in WotLK, the model is kind of like filling a series of drinking cups with a garden hose.

In Cata, it's more like filling a series of kiddie pools.

If you understand this metaphor then you win like 10 points.
disclaimer: points aren't actually worth anything
You mean the kids partly keep their own pools filled by pissing in them right?
Chicken

Postby Epimer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Characters copied across finally. My rogue is much the same, the resto shaman tree is kinda terrible (I hate looking across tiers and seeing no talents I really want) but it so far plays ok, but the paladin...

The most constructive thing I can say about the paladin changes after running a few random dungeons is that I'm excited about what they're doing with Ret. Protection... I'll reserve judgement until I've got a few mods running for tracking cooldowns and procs. Seriously, anyone watching buffs in the top right, combo points/Holy Power/debuffs in the top left and cooldowns at the bottom of the screen all while not standing in fire needs either a medal or their head examined for making things so needlessly difficult for themselves. Prot feels extremely clunky right now but hopefully it will improve with familiarity and some UI additions.
Epimer

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:16 pm

I finally got MoveAnything and it worked, so I at least have my health and Holy Power visible in the centre. I've also started, to my own surprise because I'm not usually this attentive, glancing up for the Sacred Duty buff when I'm about to hit 3HP, so it's beginning to come a bit more naturally the more I play.

The one big failure of Blizzard's many UI changes is that they haven't changed the Player and Target frames at all. Other than that, their UI is pretty good.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby amh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Amusing bug: flight form -> dalaran portal to anywhere -> go nuts in flight form. Currently taking a quick preview of the continent as seen from the air, before the Cataclysm rips it apart.

Edit: Don't zone into Hyjal. They don't like that very much.
Editedit: Nevermind, just got ported to southern Winterspring. Still in flight form though, woo.
Editeditedit: Don't fly over Stormwind. Getting 'dismounted' sucks when you're up high.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 am

amh wrote:Amusing bug: flight form -> dalaran portal to anywhere -> go nuts in flight form. Currently taking a quick preview of the continent as seen from the air, before the Cataclysm rips it apart.

Edit: Don't zone into Hyjal. They don't like that very much.
Editedit: Nevermind, just got ported to southern Winterspring. Still in flight form though, woo.
Editeditedit: Don't fly over Stormwind. Getting 'dismounted' sucks when you're up high.

HA HA. I should have read that first. No warning. No buff. No timer. Splat!
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:34 am

The areas in Dalaran where it's safe to fly on live do the same thing. Fly over the well or the Citadel area, and you drop. I died once to that. I think they added a parachute recently, though.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Korola » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:42 am

Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:43 am

Yeah, I know that trick. Thing is, last time I was in Dalaran on PTR or beta it would dismount you if you flew over the well (debuffless, instant), so you couldn't do it any more anyway. :P

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Korola » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:58 am

I went in flight form to Elwynn Forest. I had people screaming (all capital letters) at me that I was HACKZOR ZOMG!! in Goldshire. I couldn't help myself and I typed in /say

I have the cheat code to poop on your head too.

I went afk for a few minutes and when I came back there were a couple horde druids on top of the blacksmith. They were nuking the guards and of course the alliance was firing on them. They were running circles around the roof. With the one healing and the other nuking they were having a merry time. I hate this spell because it is typically used when I am tanking by some idiot. It worked nicely here. :wink: The alliance had their way with them.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:37 am

One last note on the subject of flying in Dalaran, the latest beta build appears to have removed the No Fly Zone.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General