PTR client available for download

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: PTR client available for download

Postby Vrimmel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Tip to those doing the bosses for the pre-cata event. Don't leave the dungeon first in your group. When you kill the boss it is not counted as a cleared instance and you may get deserter debuff.
Vrimmel

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:10 am

I posted screenshots of the new raid frames on my guild forum, cross posting here for people not on the PTR who might like to see them.

Step 1: Enable raid frames in party

Step 2: Tweek your settings
Image and Image

Step 3: Enjoy your raid frames!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 am

Those are surprisingly... not hideous.
Teranoid

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 am

What are the pink and teal sections of your bar telling you?
Arcand

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 am

Arcand wrote:What are the pink and teal sections of your bar telling you?

The pink is my current health, the teal is the incoming heal indicator.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:35 am

Flex wrote:

Almost like Grid in that sense. Although I think I'd prefer an actual number for the incoming heals rather than just having an estimated coloured bar.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 am

Flex wrote:

Very cool. :D
Arcand

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:38 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Flex wrote:

Almost like Grid in that sense. Although I think I'd prefer an actual number for the incoming heals rather than just having an estimated coloured bar.

Well it isn't like the number in grid is actual, it is an estimation too.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 am

Aye, an estimation, but with a rough number attached. I guess I just feel like I don't have enough data with a faded colour bar.

That being said, I DON'T like how incoming heal amounts hide the name of the person on Grid. Makes me wonder if there's a setting to change that.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:14 am

djlar wrote:Haven't activated my holy spec yet.. I really really don't have a clue there..

It's okay, neither does Blizzard ! :)

Played around with Holy on the PTR, reforged all my Crit and about half my Haste into Spirit and Mastery.

I do like the interaction between Holy Shock and Word of Glory; it feels like a good syngery and a good mechanism. But both are too weak in terms of throughput right now to keep a tank up with just using those plus Holy Light.

And, I don't like how weak Holy Light is now and how much Divine Light and Flash of Light cost. I know I will adjust but I just feel...lacking.

And, I am firmly convinced that the Paladin AoE heals will be very, very lacking until such time as they make them NOT be funneled through the Beacon.

I did a 25-man Naxx run and on Noth, I was able to hit 22 or 23 members of the raid with a Light of Dawn heal; my Skada is a bit broken and I think I added them all up right but I did about 72k in healing from the LoD and funneled an additional 33k healing through the Beacon to the tank. All with the push of a single button on an instant cast spell*. I would assume Divine Radiance will have the same sort of issue if you can get the raid to group up.

[*] NOTE: Skada is broken right now for PTR and I had to open up the log files inside of it to look at individual line numbers. Is Recount working in 4.0.1 PTR?

That is way OP healing for the Beacon target with just one push of a button. Blizzard needs to de-couple the Holy Paladin's AoE heals from Beacon and they can then balance the AoE heals as appropriate (i.e. stronger). As it is now, they have to make the AoE healing pretty terrible to not be way OP funneling through the Beacon.

Overall, I am okay where Holy Paladin is heading. I don't know their relative strength when compared to other healers but, right now, I still would never bring a Holy Paladin for "raid" heals and I think I could bring any of the classes for "tank" heals for 4.0.1.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shathus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:26 am

Recount is working on the PTR.

I enjoy going over to the training dummies and casting Light of Dawn on the masses for big #s =P. Like you said, I think i healed like 25 people for 75k. The main trick is going to be actually getting an entire raid to group up especially when a lot of mechanics force a spreading out. The other thing is knowing where the edges of the 'cone' are when you cast it that everyone is included.

33k is a large heal on the tank, but Divine Light crits for 20k+ already for me, so while that's still 30% more, it's on a 30 sec CD, and was in a mostly perfect scenario when the entire (25 man) raid was grouped up together. It doesn't seem that big a deal to me. I'm interested to see how Holy Radiance looks as well.

Someone on the ptr referred to LoD as the "Iron Man attack" due to the animation and beams shooting from your hand. I liked it personally heh
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 am

sherck wrote:Blizzard needs to de-couple the Holy Paladin's AoE heals from Beacon and they can then balance the AoE heals as appropriate (i.e. stronger). As it is now, they have to make the AoE healing pretty terrible to not be way OP funneling through the Beacon.

So 72K raid healing in a single GCD is weak?
Flex

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Flex wrote:
sherck wrote:Blizzard needs to de-couple the Holy Paladin's AoE heals from Beacon and they can then balance the AoE heals as appropriate (i.e. stronger). As it is now, they have to make the AoE healing pretty terrible to not be way OP funneling through the Beacon.

Is that common, or is it "the highest number anyone's ever claimed"?
Arcand

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Arcand wrote:
Flex wrote:

Is that common, or is it "the highest number anyone's ever claimed"?

The spell heals for about 3400 in my T10 mix gear. If I hit 23 people with it that's 78K healing done to the raid in a GCD. I don't think the cooldown and relatively weak baseline of it is due to beacon but simply because it can be quite powerful in such circumstances.

One way to counter it is to have it follow AOE damage caps. Say heals up to 10 people for 3400 each and then divides that 34K down the more people it heals.
Flex

Postby Goins2754 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm sorry that I have to be that guy, but I really can't find any info on my question anywhere. I know some of you guys have inside information, so I thought I'd throw the question out there just in case...

Does anyone have an idea when this 4.0 stuff is gonna hit live servers? I know everyone thinks soon, but sooner than soon would be nice. :)
Goins2754

PreviousNext

Return to General