Guild App Screenshot

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Guild App Screenshot

Postby Flex » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Too much Omen needing in this thread.

I use it since I'm a tank but beyond that the default UI provides all the threat info most everyone else needs.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Flex wrote:Too much Omen needing in this thread.

I use it since I'm a tank but beyond that the default UI provides all the threat info most everyone else needs.

Thank you for saying that so I didn't have to. My eyebrow was starting to hurt from cocking so much.
Invisusira

Postby Chunes » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:55 pm

I disagree very strongly. Omen (or Skada) displays more information than just the vanilla UI. I don't think I'd be able to pre-emptively salv the warrior or DK riding my ass if I were not able to see not only how they stacked up compared the other dps in total threat, but also in terms of threat per second.

I am not aware of the default UI being able to display threat per second, or aggregate threat data (i.e. bars for multiple threat generators). They could be there, I just have never seen them.

As for DPS using it, knowing TPS is a pretty great way to throttle dps while not killing it outright.
Last edited by Chunes on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chunes

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Invisusira wrote:

Thank you for saying that so I didn't have to. My eyebrow was starting to hurt from cocking so much.

And yet, this was Invis last night: "Oh shit, I accidentally salved myself. [In Vent] WHOEVER IS CLOSE ON THREAT, I don't know who you are, but I accidentally salved myself!"

Omen, for me, gives me quick and easy at a glance knowledge as to who is close on threat and who needs to dump their threat (or get salved) right away.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm

woman
Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Not to say it's not nice, to be fair. But it's just one more thing to clutter up the screen with random bars. FAR too many UIs I see concentrate on providing WAY more information than you actually need to play the game. I am pretty sure your core temperature is not going to affect your playstyle.

Like Flex said, the default UI is all most people need to know. Omen is no longer a required mod. KTM is no longer required to kill Vael.
Last edited by Invisusira on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invisusira

Postby Flex » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:00 pm

I am not aware of the default UI being able to display threat per second, or aggregate threat data (i.e. bars for multiple threat generators). They could be there, I just have never seen them.

That's not really needed though. What is needed is people to pay attention and enable the setting to show their current threat on their selected target and make use of that information.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Flex wrote:

That's not really needed though. What is needed is people to pay attention and enable the setting to show their current threat on their selected target and make use of that information.

And if the world was perfect a tank would never need to taunt a raid boss off a dpser. In which case, we'd never need a taunt button right? :D
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Unfortunately, the way the default UI displays threat for dps is bothersome. True that I could stand to adapt but not know what the the threat of other players is an issue especially for calling salvs and threat dumps. True, we could all work around it by assigning to each raid member to call out that they need a salv but that can lead to a situation where someone who is more outspoken getting salved before someone with higher threat because they didn't know that they were not on top.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Chunes » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Flex wrote:

And if the world was perfect a tank would never need to taunt a raid boss off a dpser. In which case, we'd never need a taunt button right? :D

Can't really say it any better.

Threat mods do not have to be intrusive, they don't have to occupy 1/3 of your screen. Heck I have mine to show only the top 5 threat + a "pull aggro" bar at the top. The threat window is scaled down to only occupy as much space as the default blizzard tooltip.

For the space required to accommodate them, I really can't understand any argument that says they aren't needed. :s
Chunes

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:17 pm

majiben wrote:Unfortunately, the way the default UI displays threat for dps is bothersome.

Really? I was really excited by how intuitive and un-intrusive it was when it was first released and to this day vastly prefer how it works and is displayed over Omen or similar.
Invisusira

Postby RedAces » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 pm

hey,

Skada > Recount+Omen
and (as a tank) Tiny Plates: Threat Plates > all ! (Try it -> love it!)

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Well the internal threat thing doesn't really tell YOU much.

It's very one-sided. You see how much threat you have, gaining or losing, but you have no idea where anyone else stands.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Chunes wrote:For the space required to accommodate them, I really can't understand any argument that says they aren't needed. :s

It's simply one more cycle to process, one more bar to fill up your screen, one more spreadsheet to pull you back from immersion. The argument that they aren't needed? There really isn't one - they're NOT needed. Now, the argument as to how useful they are is still a very valid one. And I don't deny for a second that Omen can be very, very useful.
Me, I'd rather just play the game. Last patch I made it halfway though ICC before I noticed I hadn't re-activated my mods.
Invisusira

PreviousNext

Return to General