Remove Advertisements

Guild App Screenshot

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Guild App Screenshot

Postby Pala » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 am

I like some of the ideas from this thread. Because my computer is four years old and an iMac I've had to cut down the graphics and addons quite a bit. I'm also unemployed in Michigan so that's a double whammy towards getting a new machine. The iMac thing is because it likes to lock up or hopefully just heat up and get all glitchy graphics-wise. The bottom picture demonstrates that. Usually a /console reloadui takes care of those.

I use DXE, MSBT, and Quartz which aren't seen but the big important bars are visible when I need them (incoming attacks, spell casting to interrupt). Quartz also shows buffs and debuffs for your target and target-of-target. I mostly keyboard move except where I need to spin quickly. This habit is getting broken with more pvp. :) For some things I like keyboard moving though. Cleansing targets for Rotface while kiting the big oozes. You can see my keybinds which are almost non-existent. But most of the time my hand is on 5-8 and 4 is my Righteous Defense for quick saves. If I need to purposely taunt off a person I would know when and use 1 or click it. Lay on Hands is about the only thing I'd like to macro in for my focus since I use it on my co-tanks mostly. Nothing else has that emergency feeling since bosses are on timers and things are usually under control.

I had used Pitbull and other things but I've cut back. Other than shifting my eyes to a new area for target and target-of-target I've been fine with Blizzard's UI. Recount pops up when I hit 9 on the number pad. That's the extent of raid leading I do through the UI. I think I'll shrink some MSBT areas in the future. I like to see what I purge when I'm on my shaman in pvp. What do you guys think of the layout?
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:02 am

Pala wrote:What do you guys think of the layout?

Hard to tell without an in-raid shot, but at first glance the most important information you need - your health/mana, the boss's health, buffs/debuffs on yourself/your target - are at the periphery of your screen. That's entirely a function of the default UI and probably my biggest criticism of it.
Epimer

Postby Chunes » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 am

knaughty wrote:
Chunes wrote:
Epimer wrote:(I'll admit I mostly just hate XPerl)

I used to live and die by xperl, but I have since been shown the light (and subsequent configurational nightmare) that is pitbull4.

Emphasised but is why I won't use PitBull. I've tried to get it running a few times, too much work required.

Yes, it would be better if I was willing to spend an entire Saturday setting it up. I'm not.

Yeah, I totally hear you. A few times my wtf and other config folders have been toasted and I've had to pretty much rebuild my unitframes from scratch. i've gotten it down to about an hours worth of configging, but then again I've gotten pretty good at it.

The process is basically to just to set up your couple of main group setups. I.e. what do you want your char and target frames to look like, ToT is next for me, then focus then pet. 4-5 groups right there. I then assign each group to their particular target so I can see what they look like as i modify them.

Once I get my prefs all set up, I lock them in place and then start crying because I spent the last hour and a half rearranging pixels on a screen.
Chunes

Postby mavfin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:25 am

vertinog wrote:I also switched from xperl recently and noticed an improvement on memory usage as well.

When you're running a quad-core and 12 GB of RAM on a 64-bit system, xperl's memory usage or any other addon's usage becomes meaningless. :D (ones that cause extra network traffic are a different matter, of course)

I used xperl in Vanilla days, and still do so because I cba to configure pitbull every patch or two.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Argali » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm

My post wasn't really directed at you Knaughty, but at the people who mentioned that Omen isn't needed anymore.

Any suggestions for good action bar addons? So far I've been using shift+1,2,3 etc to switch bars and just use the basic 1 to 9 plus Q,E,Z. With the GCD, I can usually get away with the 0.2secs extra you spend switching action bars, but I want to get rid of that.
Argali

Postby Epimer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Bartender and Dominos are both fine and basically have the same set of features.
Epimer

Postby knaughty » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Argali wrote:Any suggestions for good action bar addons?

I use Bartender4. Has everything I need while still being easy to setup.

Not endlessly flexible - I used to use a bar mod that just gave you 120 buttons, and you could go wild – every button could be different. Bartender gives you ten bars of up to 12 buttons each. Each bar is very flexible, but I do miss being able to break one bar into individual buttons.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Chunes wrote:Yeah, I totally hear you. A few times my wtf and other config folders have been toasted and I've had to pretty much rebuild my unitframes from scratch. i've gotten it down to about an hours worth of configging, but then again I've gotten pretty good at it.

This is why I have a script that backs up my WTF folder every week. :D
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:46 am

For the heck of it, here's my UI. Not as pretty or good as others but gets the job done I guess.

Next to Recount, oRA3 (?) will display the cooldowns of other classes so I can see Brez, innervates, and other external healer CDs. Recount autohides and combat and switches with Omen. Grid fills in on the bottom right.

Main abilities and such on the 2 bars stacked at the bottom middle. bottom left is seals/blessings. bottom right is CDs,Hands, potions. The other bars out out of combat stuff (professions, mounts, gadgets) which all auto-hide on combat.

My player frame is in the middle, with Target to the right, and ToT on the bottom right. Focus is just under my player frame, and ToF is in the bottom middle. For the target frame buffs should up on the right so I can see enrages and other thinks that affect damage, debuff aboves. And ToT shows debuffs to the right of the frame so I can see when I need tank swaps, etc.

Buffs I use Satrina Buff Frames. I have a couple different groupings. My buffs start on the right, then another column for buffs from everyone else, and another column for debuffs so everything doesn't get all mixed together. Started playing with all Auras (anything w/o a duration since there are a lot more of those now) running down the right side out of the way.

Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Chunes wrote:Yeah, I totally hear you. A few times my wtf and other config folders have been toasted and I've had to pretty much rebuild my unitframes from scratch. i've gotten it down to about an hours worth of configging, but then again I've gotten pretty good at it.

This is why I have a script that backs up my WTF folder every week. :D

Care to share said script? It would save me a lot of emo-cutting.
Chunes

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:58 am

Chunes wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:This is why I have a script that backs up my WTF folder every week. :D

Care to share said script? It would save me a lot of emo-cutting.

Ideally you'd do it in powershell or a batch file, but I do not know how to make a timestamp'ed file in those. Here's how I would do it:

1) Install ActivePerl on Windows, or use the mac version of perl.

2) Create a perl script. (Make a new plain text document, paste this into it, and rename it to wtf-backup.pl.)
Code: Select all
#! c:\perl\bin\perl.exe
# wtf-backup.pl : back up my WTF folder

# use strict
# normally i'd use strict, but since i'm typing in a
# forum post with no testing, I will comment it out.

my $warcraft_folder = 'g:\games\World of Warcraft';
my $wtf_folder = "${warcraft_folder}\\WTF";
my $timestamp = scalar time(); 
# you could do other stuff to make it a more readable date.

my $zipname = "wtf_${timestamp}.zip"  # This is not the full path, only the filename.

# 7zip is a free zip tool. I'll assume you use this on Windows.
# for unix, you could use a tarball, but if you knew how to do that
# you probably wouldn't have asked. (:
my $7zip = 'C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe';

# the parts with ${warcraft_folder} and ${zipname} and so on
# MIGHT NOT need to have escaped quotes inside the string;
# I'm not sure. Try removing them if you have errors related
# to paths or files not found.
@commandbits = ($7zip, "a", "-tzip", "\"${warcraft_folder}\\${zipname}\"", "${wtf_folder}");

system(@args) == 0 or die "system @args failed: $?";

3) Make a scheduled task in Windows, or a cron job in linux, or whatever macs do to schedule stuff to happen automatically. Set it to run this perl script how ever often you want. You can also run the script manually on patch days.
Kelaan

Postby cerwillis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 am

I think all major operating systems have a scheduled backup system that can be used for this as well.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Marwan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:01 am

I currently use Dropbox to save my addons and screenshots folders to the cloud.

Basically what you can modify the system to mirror files in those folders into your Dropbox folder, so that once they are changed/created/deleted this change will then take place on the server side and you'll have access to all that information from any computer.

It takes a bit of Googling but they system is hands off when you get it working and it's pretty awesome.
Marwan

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:46 am

Marwan wrote:I currently use Dropbox to save my addons and screenshots folders to the cloud.

Basically what you can modify the system to mirror files in those folders into your Dropbox folder, so that once they are changed/created/deleted this change will then take place on the server side and you'll have access to all that information from any computer.

It takes a bit of Googling but they system is hands off when you get it working and it's pretty awesome.

it's true, Dropbox is fantastic. In another thread I wrote a little tutorial on how to sync your WoW Addons and WTF folder between boxes using it
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Pala » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:11 am

Epimer wrote:
Pala wrote:What do you guys think of the layout?

Hard to tell without an in-raid shot, but at first glance the most important information you need - your health/mana, the boss's health, buffs/debuffs on yourself/your target - are at the periphery of your screen. That's entirely a function of the default UI and probably my biggest criticism of it.

Yeah, I had Xperl and Pitbull set up at different times so the bars were at my feet, just above Grid. I might go back to one of them soon. Some Cataclysm screenshots look like you can move the default spots. That would be really great but if my computer has trouble running WotLK then Cataclysm will put it in its grave.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General