Remove Advertisements

Guild App Screenshot

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Guild App Screenshot

Postby Orthien » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Hey guys just wondering after a argument with an officer whether it's reasonable to decline an otherwise good looking application because they did not provide a screenshot when the app says that they will be declined if not filled out in full. I think that their willingness to provide one shows that they are really wanting to join the guild and that their UI also shows something about how they play and how important it is to them. My officer disagrees and feels that most people won't provide one and that its not that necessary.

Love to hear you thoughts.
Orthien

Re: Guild App Screenshot

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Never heard of that on an app, don't really think it's necessary. If you want, you can have them describe their UI. Aside from certain addons that may be guild requirements (e.g. Omen, PallyPower), I think it's good to give people a wide berth on setting up a UI that's comfortable for them. For some, that will involve lots of tinkering, for others it will be basically the default UI.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:45 am

It's on our app. Your UI setup can say a lot about you; it's not always the case, but we insist that everyone submit a UI screenshot. A double function of this is ensuring that the applicant isn't too dumb to upload a screenshot.

My general response is to reply: "Please submit a screenshot with your application." or similar. Sometimes they just forgot, generally not a strong enough reason to throw them out.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby mlone » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:50 am

Screenshot of the UI while in a raid is important. A few examples of what you can see just with a quick glance.

1. Is his UI taking up too much of the screen space and potentially hindering his view of the environment? If u stand in a fire you did not see you are equally culpable

2. What skills r put on the common keybinds. Can tell whether he is a keybinder or a clicker

Talk is cheap, pple obviously love to talk themselves up in their app, the screenshot reveals stuff abt their playing style that u would prefed to find out before he joins the guild rather than after. Don't compromise on it.
mlone

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 am

A screenshot is pretty important. How well a person's armor matches speaks volumes about their character; I mean, you don't want someone looking like Homey the Clown in your killshots now do you?
Invisusira

Postby Levantine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 am

"Noggenfogger Elixirs are now mandatory for killshots" imo
Levantine

Postby Epimer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:31 am

I agree with the recommendation to just ask them again to submit a screenshot.

My last guild had this on their application, but it was borderline pointless because >75% of them were shots of their toon chillin' in Dalaran.
Epimer

Postby Markoh » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 am

We do this too, but with it stating must be in a raid environment.

To be honest it can tell you a bit about the person, but mostly it gets ignored. It's another one of those follow directions kind of thing. Though at this point most if not all apps post that, the thing we have a lot of trouble with is a world of logs/wws. I can't even begin to tell you the number of people that post apps without one, I mean it says in our application that you WILL be turned down without one and people still post without.
Markoh

Postby knaughty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:01 am

We require an in-raid screenshot, because it can clearly show you a lot about whether someone is going to cut it at the high-end.
  • Keybinds? We don't even trial people who click (healers clicking grid excepted).
  • Frame locations?
  • Grid or equiv for a healer. Omen for DPS. Lots of info for a tank
  • Plenty of clear space in the centre so you can see WTF is going on...

etc.

We've rejected plenty of people on the basis of "shit UI", usually after a couple of quick questions to confirm their shit UI is shit. If you aren't smart or interested enough to post one, we're not interested in trialling you.

We also require an Authenticator (sick of people being hacked) and we're now pushing for "you must have a tunnelling service or be somewhere with better internet connectivity than Australia/New Zealand"
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Marwan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:05 am

Agreed. The UI part of the app is the most important part in telling the play style of the app.

A picture speaks a thousand words so to speak.

Though I don't think it's worth outright denying someone who didn't post one. Just ask for it in the app thread and hold of on your decision until they provide it to you. If they aren't capable of figuring out how to do that, chances are you don't want them in guild anyways.
Marwan

Postby Bunni » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 am

I would just tell them that their app won't go through until they submit a screenshot. If they actually refuse then I would be tempted to decline them just on the basis of their being unwilling to follow a pretty simple request. Sounds like a red flag for future drama.
Keeping the gaming world safe for old folks. www.theoldergamers.com
Bunni

Postby lythac » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:55 am

If it asks in the application form for a SS and one is not provided then it is OK to decline an app based on that.

However the applicant in question seemed to spend a reasonable amount of time on his app, you are trying for a 2nd ICC10 group and his class is needed. It seems harsh to decline an ex member based on not providing a SS. If the lack of SS/not answering that question is the sole reason for declining his app, then should he resubmit a new app with SS he would be successful?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby knaughty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:57 am

Marwan wrote:Though I don't think it's worth outright denying someone who didn't post one. Just ask for it in the app thread and hold of on your decision until they provide it to you. If they aren't capable of figuring out how to do that, chances are you don't want them in guild anyways.

We ask, and refuse to provide instructions.

If they can't work out how to take a screenshot, get it on the web and link it in a forum post they're either too stupid or too lazy to be in our guild.

But we also take a pretty fucking dim view of not being able to follow simple and explicit directions. "Screenie of your UI in-raid is mandatory, post it <here>"

See "too stupid or too lazy" for why we get annoy when people don't post a screenie.

Here's a link to the application form:

Ajantis Application form
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 am

lythac wrote:If it asks in the application form for a SS and one is not provided then it is OK to decline an app based on that.

However the applicant in question seemed to spend a reasonable amount of time on his app, you are trying for a 2nd ICC10 group and his class is needed. It seems harsh to decline an ex member based on not providing a SS. If the lack of SS/not answering that question is the sole reason for declining his app, then should he resubmit a new app with SS he would be successful?

Bunni wrote:I would just tell them that their app won't go through until they submit a screenshot.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:03 am

Examples of instant declines:
Q. Show us a screen-shot of your UI, and explain why it looks like that. This is mandatory, and should be of your UI while in raid-combat. If you don’t know how to take a screenshot and get it on the web, work out how.
A. sorry no idea on how to do this been searching for ages i use spartan bars ui for the main fact that everything is sitting right there in 1 area not all over the screen like the wow ui i can send it to some1 in a email if yous would like

(1) English, motherfucker....
(2) The freaking app form has "Let me Google that for you.." links in it which show you how to get a SS on the web.

Here's another instant decline:
http://yfrog.com/f/jnwowscrnshot042810204217j/
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General