Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:27 pm

That's funny, you asked almost at the very time I was coming to post! :)

I have an official setting and rough idea of time now. The attempt will be made at Chicago's Union Station. I had to pay $250 for a filming permit so I could record the attempt. The public affairs manager was nice enough to give me the student rate. I'll be getting a small amount of floor space that's out of the way. I also just got a photographer that's going to record the entire attempt with 3 cameras in time lapse.

The setup will be something along the lines of a desk and a chair and my computer facing a wall with a clock on it near a window. The window will show the passage of day for reference. The clock, of course, shows the time. The area will be roped off. There will be a sign in book so any passersby can log in that they saw me at the attempt at such and such time. I also have about 10 friends who are either going to play WoW right next to me or be online with me. My friends and family will be coming by periodically to help "root me on."

I will be subsisting almost solely on Monsters, Mt. Dew, and 5-hour energy shots. I get a 5-min break every hour that's bankable. I'm gonna try to save up 3 hours worth and take a nap. If I can go 72 hours non stop (highly doable), I can take a 6 hour nap and then try to do another 72 hour stint. That's my game plan. Part two of the plan is to sleep in as long as possible before the attempt. Start playing at about 5 pm so that I have lots of energy to make it all night. Once the sun comes up, you find energy to stay awake. So, that's an easy 24 hours. Night two is rough, but I've done that before driving cross country. Day 2 will be okay once you get through the morning. That's 48 hours. Day 3... Well, I've never done a day 3 yet. :) Either way, the record is only 24 hours right now.
Image
User avatar
Goins2754
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Great Lakes, IL

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby OmegaDN » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Pretty sweet!

That's right by where I work (literally like two blocks). Be sure to let us know when you start it!
OmegaDN
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:45 pm

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:46 pm

OmegaDN wrote:Pretty sweet!

That's right by where I work (literally like two blocks). Be sure to let us know when you start it!

You should run by, take a few pictures, and post them up here while he's doing his event.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Teranoid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Goins2754 wrote: Either way, the record is only 24 hours right now.


Only 24? Wow what a bunch of wimps. I stayed up for 2 1/2 days straight when Wrath came out trying to be realm first lvl 80.
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Teranoid wrote:
Goins2754 wrote: Either way, the record is only 24 hours right now.


Only 24? Wow what a bunch of wimps. I stayed up for 2 1/2 days straight when Wrath came out trying to be realm first lvl 80.

Hah, that reminds me our realm first level 80 DK... He actually beat out some of the other classes to 80, who had a full 15 level heard start on him.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Teranoid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Teranoid wrote:
Goins2754 wrote: Either way, the record is only 24 hours right now.


Only 24? Wow what a bunch of wimps. I stayed up for 2 1/2 days straight when Wrath came out trying to be realm first lvl 80.

Hah, that reminds me our realm first level 80 DK... He actually beat out some of the other classes to 80, who had a full 15 level heard start on him.


I slept for 6 1/2 hours that saturday.. ended up missing realm first by 2 1/2 hours :(

If a DK beat other classes to 80 thats just sad :<
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Teranoid wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Teranoid wrote:Only 24? Wow what a bunch of wimps. I stayed up for 2 1/2 days straight when Wrath came out trying to be realm first lvl 80.

Hah, that reminds me our realm first level 80 DK... He actually beat out some of the other classes to 80, who had a full 15 level heard start on him.


I slept for 6 1/2 hours that saturday.. ended up missing realm first by 2 1/2 hours :(

If a DK beat other classes to 80 thats just sad :<

I honestly don't think he slept. He was on every single time I was on and the entire realm was tracking his progress. Was pretty damn cool.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Goins2754 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Keep in mind that the record is only 24 hours because they created a new category for me in the MMORPG realm & GWR minimum for a "marathon" is 24 hours.

The previous world record is held in the category for longest single player FPS marathon & it's almost 38 hours.

*EDIT* I went down to Union Station today and had my proposal approved. The attempt will take place in the great hall of Union Station, specifically the south side of the great hall. I have to e-mail some date proposals and have them approved. Once I get a date (probably by next week) I'll let everyone know.

It'd be great if you guys could come down and sign the logbook, to help with verification purposes, or just log on and say hello. I'm gonna make a special guild & character on The Venture Co-US to do this.
Image
User avatar
Goins2754
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Great Lakes, IL

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Rokh » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:42 am

Teranoid wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Teranoid wrote:Only 24? Wow what a bunch of wimps. I stayed up for 2 1/2 days straight when Wrath came out trying to be realm first lvl 80.

Hah, that reminds me our realm first level 80 DK... He actually beat out some of the other classes to 80, who had a full 15 level heard start on him.


I slept for 6 1/2 hours that saturday.. ended up missing realm first by 2 1/2 hours :(

If a DK beat other classes to 80 thats just sad :<




Keep in mind at Wolk launch, DK's were doing like 9k dps when everyone else was doing 3-4k.
Rokh
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:18 am

Rokh wrote:
Teranoid wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Hah, that reminds me our realm first level 80 DK... He actually beat out some of the other classes to 80, who had a full 15 level heard start on him.


I slept for 6 1/2 hours that saturday.. ended up missing realm first by 2 1/2 hours :(

If a DK beat other classes to 80 thats just sad :<




Keep in mind at Wolk launch, DK's were doing like 9k dps when everyone else was doing 3-4k.


At LAUNCH? lol not a chance.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Goins2754 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:14 pm

I set up a toon and a guild for this attempt. Feel free to log into the server and add him to your friends list if you want to jump in and root me on during the attempt. The date is, as yet, not set.

Server: Wyrmrest Accord
Toon: Marathonios (Draenei Paladin)
Guild: Marathon World Record
Image
User avatar
Goins2754
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Great Lakes, IL

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Mcduffie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Goins2754 wrote:I set up a toon and a guild for this attempt. Feel free to log into the server and add him to your friends list if you want to jump in and root me on during the attempt. The date is, as yet, not set.

Server: Wyrmrest Accord
Toon: Marathonios (Draenei Paladin)
Guild: Marathon World Record

ROOT ROOT ROOT!

I'm so there! Give us dates when you get them!
User avatar
Mcduffie
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 am

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Goins2754 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:15 am

OMG! This is such a headache! I had the site set up, I had the logistics set up. But the photographer...

GWR states that the entire attempt must be recorded in time-lapse photography. Furthermore, they emphasize that if anything looks "iffy," they'll not allow the attempt. As such, they suggest more than one camera angle.

Price shopping some photographers/film makers for up to 72 hours of continual filming, the cheapest I could find is a college student who would charge me $10/hr for the whole thing. That's $720!!! Are you kidding me? I got in an arguement and burned the bridge to my lowest bidder explaining that I refuse to pay $720 for this since I just need them to set up the camera and press record. Then they can go get a coffee or just come back when I call them. It's ridiculous. And that was the cheapest.

So, anyhow, I'm gonna wait on this for a while. The economic climate of our household isn't such that I can "waste" $1000+ on a silly record attempt. I know I can break the 24-hour mark, and I'm sure many of you out there could, too, but the bottom line is it costs a TON of money to get your name in that stupid book.

In four years, I'll be a certified civil engineer making bookoo dollars (hopefully). That sounds more like the perfect time to attempt this.
Image
User avatar
Goins2754
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Great Lakes, IL

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Mcduffie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:35 am

Goins2754 wrote:OMG! This is such a headache! I had the site set up, I had the logistics set up. But the photographer...

GWR states that the entire attempt must be recorded in time-lapse photography. Furthermore, they emphasize that if anything looks "iffy," they'll not allow the attempt. As such, they suggest more than one camera angle.

Price shopping some photographers/film makers for up to 72 hours of continual filming, the cheapest I could find is a college student who would charge me $10/hr for the whole thing. That's $720!!! Are you kidding me? I got in an arguement and burned the bridge to my lowest bidder explaining that I refuse to pay $720 for this since I just need them to set up the camera and press record. Then they can go get a coffee or just come back when I call them. It's ridiculous. And that was the cheapest.

So, anyhow, I'm gonna wait on this for a while. The economic climate of our household isn't such that I can "waste" $1000+ on a silly record attempt. I know I can break the 24-hour mark, and I'm sure many of you out there could, too, but the bottom line is it costs a TON of money to get your name in that stupid book.

In four years, I'll be a certified civil engineer making bookoo dollars (hopefully). That sounds more like the perfect time to attempt this.

Why not just grab a few cameras from friends, and hit record yourself? Seems like a pretty easy fix.
User avatar
Mcduffie
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 am

Re: Anyone have GB of WR - Gamer Edition?

Postby Goins2754 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:04 am

Mcduffie wrote:
Goins2754 wrote:OMG! This is such a headache! I had the site set up, I had the logistics set up. But the photographer...

GWR states that the entire attempt must be recorded in time-lapse photography. Furthermore, they emphasize that if anything looks "iffy," they'll not allow the attempt. As such, they suggest more than one camera angle.

Price shopping some photographers/film makers for up to 72 hours of continual filming, the cheapest I could find is a college student who would charge me $10/hr for the whole thing. That's $720!!! Are you kidding me? I got in an arguement and burned the bridge to my lowest bidder explaining that I refuse to pay $720 for this since I just need them to set up the camera and press record. Then they can go get a coffee or just come back when I call them. It's ridiculous. And that was the cheapest.

So, anyhow, I'm gonna wait on this for a while. The economic climate of our household isn't such that I can "waste" $1000+ on a silly record attempt. I know I can break the 24-hour mark, and I'm sure many of you out there could, too, but the bottom line is it costs a TON of money to get your name in that stupid book.

In four years, I'll be a certified civil engineer making bookoo dollars (hopefully). That sounds more like the perfect time to attempt this.

Why not just grab a few cameras from friends, and hit record yourself? Seems like a pretty easy fix.


It would, indeed, be a pretty easy fix...if any of my friends cameras had time lapse photography. I don't know if that's a pretty exclusive feature or not, but I have a decent camera (Canon IS Powershot something - cost me about $600) and it doesn't have it. Believe me, I've explored this option. To do it myself with the hardware I have available, I would need to buy two or three intervalometers (about $150 each) to work on the cameras. Furthermore, I'd have to buy the long USB cables to plug them into my computer's hard drive because no camera that I know of can take 72 hours of pictures @ 5 pictures / minute on their memory cards. It's still a considerable cost. I even talked with camera shops like Wolf Camera and Ritz to see if they'd rent the hardware to me with no luck.

On top of the cost of the hardware, there's a $250 fee (this is a very cheap student rate) for filming anything at Union Station. GWR rules state that the attempt must be made in a high profile place like a train station or game store (BTW, I called GameStop and BestBuy and they were less than willing to help me).

All of this adds up to a lot of money. I mean, I really am trying to do this, but it's just a ton of cash. Don't think that I just called on guy and said, "oh well, I guess not." I've been emailing and calling potential sponsors, photographers, film makers, etc for months now.

And by the way, GWR "generously" will have an adjudicator come to your record attempt. This will guarantee your record certification on the spot and you don't have to even submit paper work, video, etc. Basically, you just do it. Oh, but this "frivolous" expense costs room & board & travel from England for the adjudicator. Estimated cost for my attempt is almost $9000.

I had no idea breaking a world record required a second mortgage.

*EDIT* Here's the form to request an adjudicator. You can see the cost in USD is estimated $5000-$9000.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/adj ... aspx?lang=
Image
User avatar
Goins2754
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm
Location: Great Lakes, IL

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest