Remove Advertisements

Rediculous Prot Paladin DPS II: Now with PHAT NUMBERS

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Rediculous Prot Paladin DPS II: Now with PHAT NUMBERS

Postby inthedrops » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:30 am

Hello fellow tanks! Shameless self promotion here but I'm proud of the result...

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvnoCPMbBI

This is another attempt at capturing the fun that is prot tanking dps. Yet another random heroic. This time PoS, and this time GIANT YELLOW AND WHITE numbers fill the screen (which was the main complaint of my last video). It seemed only other protection paladins who do this kind of thing understood it. I tried to make this one appeal more to everyone.

Some highlights include:
* 10k dps trash packs.
* Fun with Tiny Abomination in a Jar procs!
* Averaged more than 6.6k dps over the entire run.
* Improved video quality.

I'm not a video editor, and I don't own any fancy software. I used VirtualDub and Windows Movie maker so don't get your hopes up. I think it's a decent video considering!

Note: You can track the TaiaJ procs fairly easily by looking at the lower left near the shrunkin Tankadin window. It's heroic version so procs at 7. It makes for some interesting YELLOW spam.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Re: Rediculous Prot Paladin DPS II: Now with PHAT NUMBERS

Postby zaint » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:43 am

inthedrops wrote:I'm not a video editor, and I don't own any fancy software. I used VirtualDub and Windows Movie maker so don't get your hopes up. I think it's a decent video considering!

Pro-tip: dont slow down parts of the movie that much, just felt... stupid. Keep it flowing in one tempo, perhaps just make the unintersting parts faster or cut them out. Make your recount-window bigger or put it in an overlay would also make it more interesting. Hotr 11k crits isnt that much with 2xT10 and decent level of gear and normal buffs.

Also, a note on your gear & spec, glyphs, gems etc (wowhead-set/armory) would be interesting.

//Z
Zars, Tankadin, Officer & Raidleader of <Null>, Executus-EU (http://www.null-eu.com).
Kingslayer as of 2010-06-02. Game over, Wotlk beaten, Roll credits.
zaint

Postby inthedrops » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:59 am

Wow thanks! Those are great suggestions. If I make another movie I'll be using them!

I put up a link in the video comments for the profile used in the video. My assumption is people don't want to see that in the actual video. Do you thinks that's a fair assumption? In my first video I put stats in the movie but that didn't seem to go so well.

Your recount suggestion reminds me of an in guild joke. When DPS hits a shadow trap we tell them to take recount out of the middle of their screen :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby zaint » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:32 am

inthedrops wrote:Wow thanks! Those are great suggestions. If I make another movie I'll be using them!

I put up a link in the video comments for the profile used in the video. My assumption is people don't want to see that in the actual video. Do you thinks that's a fair assumption? In my first video I put stats in the movie but that didn't seem to go so well.

Your recount suggestion reminds me of an in guild joke. When DPS hits a shadow trap we tell them to take recount out of the middle of their screen :)

Heh, np. Yeah not in the movie, perhaps something in the credits, like "This movie was made with x/y/z spec, X ap, Y crit, Z bv"

I was mostly curious for my own sake. ;-)

Haha, i'll keep that in mind for our own raids. Silly rogue, move the recountwindow from the middle of your screen!

//Z
Zars, Tankadin, Officer & Raidleader of <Null>, Executus-EU (http://www.null-eu.com).
Kingslayer as of 2010-06-02. Game over, Wotlk beaten, Roll credits.
zaint

Postby Holyday » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:22 am

I would like to have seen what your gear set up was as well. I am always trying to figure out the best gear set up for my max numbers but that also won't scare to death my usually pug healer. And I actually liked the slow downs, looked cool.
Last edited by Holyday on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holyday

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:23 am

There's a link to the gear setup in the video description:
http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21464840

And looking at the talents pane, I think the glyphs could be better - Glyph of SoV is still very good above 26 expertise when tanking, and since you're running overall dps including trash pulls, Avenger's Shield glyph is reducing the spell's damage by 1/3rd overall.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Holyday » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:23 am

Oh thank you I missed that :D

Hmmm surely that libram wasn't used if you were using SoComm though? I usually pull out my shield block librams for SoComm goodness.
Holyday

Postby inthedrops » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:48 am

Holyday wrote:Oh thank you I missed that :D

Hmmm surely that libram wasn't used if you were using SoComm though? I usually pull out my shield block librams for SoComm goodness.

I switch between block libram and vengeance libram when I switch seals. You can see when I change them in the video. I manually click with my mouse near the lower right of my screen (have macro's for libram swapping over there). There were a couple packs after second boss that I forgot to put SoComm back up for.

For heroics I typically have SoComm most of the time but some of the bosses in this particular zone live long enough or I have to keep distance from (kiting) that it's worth using SoV. In other zones I never switch seals as bosses die in 15-30 seconds. So it's not worth the Vengeance glyph 95% of the time. I guess the ICC heroics are the exception.

I *do* replace the Hammer Glyph for the Vengeance one when doing raid bosses (assuming I remember to!)

So, my glyph setups are:

Heroics: Avenger's Shield, Hammer, Judge.
Raid Bosses: Avenger's Shield, Vengeance, Judge.

In regard to min/maxing AS damage, you're right that using it unglyphed on trash will produce more overall damage, but ask yourself which is more fun....Peasly little hits on trash every 30 seconds or so, or 12k crits on bosses? :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 am

Hmm, yeah, you know I blanked on the whole "glyph doesn't do anything when you use SoC for trash" part, heh.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:32 am

Also I think 26 expertise dodge AND parry caps you for expertise in heroics anyway. So SoV glyph does nothing.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 am

Boyfriend wrote:Also I think 26 expertise dodge AND parry caps you for expertise in heroics anyway.

It actually only takes 24 expertise for a level 82 target.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Vrimmel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 am

Anyone got any impressive single target dps results? Aoe dps is rather meh.
Vrimmel

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:25 am

There are quite a few of us that have been doing this on raid bosses. But I haven't seen any videos of it. Meloree for absolutely sure, but I know there are others having some fun like him.

I personally have had to stop as my guild lost patience for it one night in 10 man when I got one shot by LDW :)

It's hard to get "impressive" single target numbers. For example, I tanked the fire boss in VoA 10 with this gear setup. I managed 6150 dps, which would have been #1 worldoflogs parse by a large margin if I had turned on my combatlog :(

6.1k dps just isn't very impressive when actual DPS are doing almost double that amount.

The only fights left are gimmick fights like Festergut where 10k+ occurs, and perhaps a couple others like Saurfang.

This might give you an idea who to ask about it. I checked wol parses for familiar names on this site...

Featergut 10N
* Paperplate #2
* Meloree #7

Festergut 25H
* Meloree #1

Marrowgar 10H
* Paperplate #2

Marrowgar 25H
* Meloree #3

Lady Deathwhisper 25H
* Meloree #1

Saurfang 10H
* Meloree #1

Saurfang 25H
* Meloree #1

Rotface 25H
* Meloree #2
(god I wish for once I got to tank the actual boss!!!)

I could go on but I think we all get the idea :) Meloree is the man with the hookup in this regard!!

Also, I see Boyfriend showing up a lot. Assuming it's the same Boyfriend that visits these forums.

So if I were you, I'd jump on Meloree's case to make some movies!!!
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Vrimmel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:44 pm

What gear/spec are you using?
Vrimmel

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Vrimmel wrote:What gear/spec are you using?

KysenMurrin wrote:There's a link to the gear setup in the video description:
http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21464840
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General