Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 5:11 am

theckhd wrote:
Levantine wrote:I probably should have observed the market for a bit longer (It's been a long while since I was on this server last), but I started testing the water of a couple of markets. O:

If this goes horribly wrong I'm totally blaming you, daemonym.

If you weasel into my enchanting/engineering market, I will cut you.

/grabs popcorn
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby lythac » Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 am

ceela wrote:
hoho wrote:
ceela wrote: There's always a handful of pearls at ~130g on my server, rarely any water.
From what I remember I got a bunch of water from just leveling. On two different (very) high-pop servers I've seen golden pearls go for around 300g+ a piece. On my main server there was only a single one on sale a couple of hours ago for 500g.

It's kind of weird reading some of the wowhead comments saying golden pearls went for <10g. I wonder if it's a typo or did something drastically change and I missed it.

Heirlooms. The enchant was useless for TBC because nobody at the top end needed (TBC enchants were better) and nobody levelling could afford/be bothered with it. It's now the best enchant for heirloom caster weapons, hence the sudden value.

Edit: Well, I got the Healing Power recipe for 2.5k anyway. Amusingly, there's still half a dozen pearls and not a single water on the AH.

Enchant wasn't useless in TBC was still the enchant choice of most caster twinks.

Golden pearls were dirt cheap in TBC as they dropped from the Nagas in the Coilfang instances at a fairly decent rate (as well as the Nagas in Zangarmarsh).

Edit - also the patterns were BoP during Vanialla and TBC, players didn't go and solo MC on a regular basis or go for fun as often so the pattern was a lot rarer. So it was still a decent seller during TBC to the twink market.
Last edited by lythac on Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 5:13 am

Also, Lib would strictly be Mining/JC since I'm too lazy to actually level anything else on her.
Levantine

Postby rodos » Tue May 25, 2010 6:00 am

Levantine wrote:And rofl, I checked the mats cost of the weapon chains and the goblins had driven the price down to below mats cost. Chain = 1.5g, Mats = 2.5g

Titanium weapon chain? What magical candy land is this where such a thing can be crafted for 2.5g?

As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.
Netherweave Bags are pretty much owned by one guy selling for 4.75 with netherweave going for 4g/stack, belt buckles and Brilliant Spellthread are only profitable if you get a deal on the eternals (prices of eternal life and shadow fluctuate wildly from about 15-30g in the case of the former and 5-15g for the latter). I don't know how anyone is making money on Titansteel Bars either -- I'm guessing its people with miner/alch combo among their alts looking for a market that's easier to deal with than the never ending flood of saronite ore.
rodos

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 am

rodos wrote:As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.

It doesn't matter what you paid for mats, what matters is what THEY paid for mats. Here's what I mean. If I buy the materials for ITEM at 20g and they later on spike up to 50g I can still sell an ITEM for 30g and be making a profit. It's all in the timing. This is how I'm able to sell buckles, titansteel (xmute mastery helps here too), and epic threads among many other things for well below the "normal" material price. I'll stokpile a few hundred eternal fires when the price is 15g and once they go back up to the standard 25-30g I can undercut everybody by a ton and still be turning a good profit while everyone else either tries to scrape by with 2g profits or stops listing all together. Either way it makes other potential sellers shy away and makes buyers much more loose with the proverbial purse strings and I get a bit more coin to toss onto the pile.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 am

daemonym wrote:
rodos wrote:As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.

It doesn't matter what you paid for mats, what matters is what THEY paid for mats. Here's what I mean. If I buy the materials for ITEM at 20g and they later on spike up to 50g I can still sell an ITEM for 30g and be making a profit. It's all in the timing. This is how I'm able to sell buckles, titansteel (xmute mastery helps here too), and epic threads among many other things for well below the "normal" material price. I'll stokpile a few hundred eternal fires when the price is 15g and once they go back up to the standard 25-30g I can undercut everybody by a ton and still be turning a good profit while everyone else either tries to scrape by with 2g profits or stops listing all together. Either way it makes other potential sellers shy away and makes buyers much more loose with the proverbial purse strings and I get a bit more coin to toss onto the pile.

I was doing this briefly with Crusader scrolls, since I was originally posting them for ~200g, and they were selling just fine, others posted until the price dropped to ~100g, I bought up a bunch and waited for the price to run back up. Not an exact science, but it can work to your favor once in awhile.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby arrigo » Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 am

If you have a desire to farm for a few minutes, you can get essence of water pretty quickly. GO to Eastern Plaguelands there's a lake in the South-East that has lots of water elementals I took a trip and a half around the lake in about 15 minutes and had enough water's for 4 healing power enchants.
arrigo

Postby halabar » Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 am

I'm doing ok just selling bullets. My hunter is an eng/miner, so I farm ore, make bullets from the earth, and sell the rest of the mats. My pally is JC/BS, which has pretty much locked him out of most AH work, other than cutting red gems, buckles are too cheap to bother with.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Chunes » Tue May 25, 2010 9:04 am

daemonym wrote:Are the profits on vendoring rings that worth while on your server? If they are, I'd suggest a small bit of grind and DE them if you have an enchanter. If the mats are that cheap that you can vendor it, then that would make the profit margins on enchant scrolls amazing.

If the server pop is that imbalanced, keep a close eye on who controls WG during prime time. When your faction has it the farmers will be SWARMING over there since you likely don't have it that often. Take that time to prepare for a flood of cheap eternals and likely saronite as well. Doesn't always happen but it's very much worth looking into.

I had a lot of fun doing this and it takes an actual sense of how peopel work, timing, and business. As usual, my best advice to give is to stokpile as much as humanly possible, especially lichbloom.

The craft rings -> vendor session I did last week was an experiment on my part. I got a few stacks of bloodstone and huge citrines for around 1g per and I had enough eternal earth and other green gems in my bank to craft about 170 rings. Not saying by any stretch of the imagination it was the smartest use of my time/mats, but it did net me a decent chunk of change in the black.

Dust is dirt cheap currently on my side of the server, truthfully though, the only thing keeping me from getting a scroll factory up and running was the lack of a dependable enchanter or two. Fortunately two guildmates have transfered advanced enchanters and I plan on leveraging their talents.

Regarding your WG advice, lamentably the only time my faction ever has WG is a short span on tuesdays after the server resets. the opposing faction owns it for the rest of the week :cry:. This could explain the slightly more favorable saronite prices I observed last tues/weds. I tend to avoid WG like the plague unless I have a fishing daily there, is it really such a hot spot for ore farming? I would have figured Sholazar/Icecrown would have been the place to go.
Chunes

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 9:18 am

Chunes wrote:Dust is dirt cheap currently on my side of the server, truthfully though, the only thing keeping me from getting a scroll factory up and running was the lack of a dependable enchanter or two. Fortunately two guildmates have transfered advanced enchanters and I plan on leveraging their talents.

Regarding your WG advice, lamentably the only time my faction ever has WG is a short span on tuesdays after the server resets. the opposing faction owns it for the rest of the week :cry:. This could explain the slightly more favorable saronite prices I observed last tues/weds. I tend to avoid WG like the plague unless I have a fishing daily there, is it really such a hot spot for ore farming? I would have figured Sholazar/Icecrown would have been the place to go.

There's a lot of people that are dual gatherers and go there for the lower competition and ti's also a prime spot for eternal farming of any kind if you control WG. And since there's almost always a bunch of rich saronite nodes in the area people tend to pick up a ton.

halabar wrote:I'm doing ok just selling bullets. My hunter is an eng/miner, so I farm ore, make bullets from the earth, and sell the rest of the mats. My pally is JC/BS, which has pretty much locked him out of most AH work, other than cutting red gems, buckles are too cheap to bother with.

Make some TBC enchanting rods on your smith and use your JC to cut any epics whose raw gem price is 40g under the cut price. It'll take a bit of time to check the gem cuts rather than crafting a few of everything, but is more reliable profit even if there is a goblin like myself on your server. Also look into titanium weapon chains or ToC epics if you're willing to make the investment. There's plenty to be crafted and sold!

On my server making bullets is almost pointless and is done more as a service than for gold with the 1g profit on a stack of ammo of either kind. If nothing else, sell the saronite you pick up as bars or get some titanium xmuting done and make titansteel. But most likely you'll see better profits farming cobalt than saronite as everybody and their mother farms it leaving cobalt almost entirely untouched.

daemonym

Postby ceela » Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 am

daemonym wrote:There's a lot of people that are dual gatherers and go there for the lower competition and ti's also a prime spot for eternal farming of any kind if you control WG. And since there's almost always a bunch of rich saronite nodes in the area people tend to pick up a ton.

I'm curious why WG control is necessary to farm saronite there; I thought the only benefit one got was the Revenant elementals. I do play on a PvP server though so maybe there's just much more ganking risk on a PvE server if you're not in control?
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue May 25, 2010 9:47 am

ceela wrote:
daemonym wrote:There's a lot of people that are dual gatherers and go there for the lower competition and ti's also a prime spot for eternal farming of any kind if you control WG. And since there's almost always a bunch of rich saronite nodes in the area people tend to pick up a ton.

I'm curious why WG control is necessary to farm saronite there; I thought the only benefit one got was the Revenant elementals. I do play on a PvP server though so maybe there's just much more ganking risk on a PvE server if you're not in control?

i play on a pve server, and i never go to WG unless were in control or im doing my fishing daily there.

there is almost always a pack of horde just hovering by our FP and will gank you if you even attempt to gather anything.
there are also patrolling horde just looking for an easy gank

but yes its the relevents that are the only perk to having WG other then VoA oc...

i will have to watch the AH more over the next few days, cuase im tired of having slow ass mounts and barely enough gold to get buy
i have sub 1k on all three of my 75+ toon :(
(but i did buy my epic flying on my hunter the other day! hes only been 80 for 14 months!)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Hokahey » Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 am

ceela wrote:

You're correct, but I think they were saying the nodes were an incidental benefit/pick up for people farming Eternals, which is part of why Saronite tends to sell very cheap. Its also commonly in the zones with the most daily quest hubs: Icecrown and Stormpeaks. I can literally farm up about 10 stacks of Saronite just while doing dailies in Icecrown.
Hokahey

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 am

bldavis wrote:i play on a pve server, and i never go to WG unless were in control or im doing my fishing daily there.

there is almost always a pack of horde just hovering by our FP and will gank you if you even attempt to gather anything.
there are also patrolling horde just looking for an easy gank

but yes its the relevents that are the only perk to having WG other then VoA oc...

Same here even if I'm ret spec at the time which is the go to class to turn a PvP noob into a train wreck even though ret is terrible for high end arenas. Plain and simple no matter hwo godo you are it's going to be pretty hard to win a 2v1 scenario which you'll find very often even on a pve server. And of course it's fun to go ganking now and again, but there's always a ton after a WG battle ends. Just hand out there even if you own it and see how long it takes for a rogue to find you alone hehe.

i will have to watch the AH more over the next few days, cuase im tired of having slow ass mounts and barely enough gold to get buy
i have sub 1k on all three of my 75+ toon :(
(but i did buy my epic flying on my hunter the other day! hes only been 80 for 14 months!)

I recently started a project I'm calling from the ground up where I started a priest alliance side and leveled them with zero help from my mains and starting of course with 0 gold, not a single copper. They now have inscription maxed, enchanting at 430, and bought every piece of epic boe gear you could at 90 and epic flying a week later.

I'm pointing this out because it proves that you don't need "luck" or previous support from hours of grinding saronite or dailys to do well for yourself. Just powers of observation and knowing where to invest your money and time. Their first investment was clam meet and eternal fires. I bought a few eternal fires at 15g/ea, broke them down into crystallzied fire that all sold for 3g/ea which is a double of my investment. There's many things to do with your professions to make easy money, you just need to look for one that you can work with using your time and financial limits.

TL;DR: Watch the markets you can work in, pay attention to trends, don't get epic gems and 150g enchants on your offspec gear, and you can support yourself with little effort.

Hokahey wrote:You're correct, but I think they were saying the nodes were an incidental benefit/pick up for people farming Eternals, which is part of why Saronite tends to sell very cheap. Its also commonly in the zones with the most daily quest hubs: Icecrown and Stormpeaks. I can literally farm up about 10 stacks of Saronite just while doing dailies in Icecrown.

Yes nodes are indeed incidental, the only supply of 500 stacks are from the 1-2 UF each server has. For the WG they're an added bonus when farming the revenants for eternals.

daemonym

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 25, 2010 10:17 am

ceela wrote:

I would also like to know why WG control matters for farming. I spend hours when I'm bored in WG no matter who is in control.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

PreviousNext

Return to General