Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby halabar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Holyblaze wrote:..I am moving a TON of ore and bars. ...

Engie is my BEST this time around and and I forsee it being like that morese in 5.2

Yeah, the ore still moves, or if you process it into Trillium and/or Living Steel. That's the only thing that's moving for me.

I finally moved two other toons to my new server, and nuked everyone else on the old server. So I'm down to a miner/eng, JC/Alch, and chanter/scribe. I'm done with trying to maintain 4 alchemists, just not worth it now.

I'm also dumping all my pets at 50% of market to get rid of them. Tired of reposting 30 pets and maybe selling one or two.

And engineering? really? the mounts are listing for under cost on my new server, and still aren't selling. (Side note there, really dissapointed with the new Eng mount in 5.2, the model is terribly boring, unless they update it, so I can't see those selling as they are now).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Holyblaze » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 pm

haha well saying its my best does not, in ayway, means its been AWESOME!

Ive sold 2 Gob Rockets and good prices. That is all ive sold of engie stuffs.

Raw cooking mats are still moving.
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby halabar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Holyblaze wrote:Raw cooking mats are still moving.

Once 5.2 hits I might be fishing more, but others will too, so that might effect prices.

halabar

Postby Chunes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 am

Glyphs still a viable market?

Was looking for some starter glyphs for an alt lock I rolled earlier this week after close to 2 years of being out of the game and most were going for 200+ on my server.

Might do a little researching on that and see if I can get plugged into an herb farmer once again if it looks promising.
Chunes

Postby Jabari » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am

Chunes wrote:Glyphs still a viable market?

Was looking for some starter glyphs for an alt lock I rolled earlier this week after close to 2 years of being out of the game and most were going for 200+ on my server.

Might do a little researching on that and see if I can get plugged into an herb farmer once again if it looks promising.

Small sample size obv (i.e., one server), but on my server the glyph market works as follows:
- There are 2 or 3 people that post glyphs at 300-400G.
- Then there are a few people that post them at 20-30G. Or even less.

How many actually get sold at 300-400? No clue. I don't think it's a lot (as I tried the "1% undercut" on them before, and never sold a single thing). If I see those now, I'll post mine for about 100G, and they'll sell a little at that price.

Problem with the glyph market is that it's only 1 silver to post one, so AH PvP is an issue (if you can't be constantly watching them). Wish they'd increase that...

OTOH, I do have decent luck selling Fans. The Inscribed Fans (the blue) are really cheap to make and I'll sell those for about 900. Pretty good clip, too. The 476 epics sell fairly well too.

Shoulder enchants are iffy - the price has crashed fairly far, like 250-300 for one usually. Those DO sell for me at 600-700, but there are usually ones posted far lower.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 pm

I think the other problem for me is what Blizz has done with drops. My big gold expenditures used to be BoEs for my various toons at the start of an expac or new tier. It was a huge boost to buy the Firelands crossbow and polearm for my hunter in the first few weeks of that patch.

But now, we have LFR, and there are no more BoEs (or only minor items like belts). There are items on the BMAH, but the prices there are usually insane, even by my standards (90k for boots?...) And then the crafted epic gear generally sucks. So there's just not much to actually spend gold on.

Seems like the glory days are over...

halabar

Postby Chunes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Jabari wrote:
Chunes wrote:Glyphs still a viable market?

Small sample size obv (i.e., one server), but on my server the glyph market works as follows:
- There are 2 or 3 people that post glyphs at 300-400G.
- Then there are a few people that post them at 20-30G. Or even less.

How many actually get sold at 300-400? No clue. I don't think it's a lot (as I tried the "1% undercut" on them before, and never sold a single thing). If I see those now, I'll post mine for about 100G, and they'll sell a little at that price.

Problem with the glyph market is that it's only 1 silver to post one, so AH PvP is an issue (if you can't be constantly watching them). Wish they'd increase that...

OTOH, I do have decent luck selling Fans. The Inscribed Fans (the blue) are really cheap to make and I'll sell those for about 900. Pretty good clip, too. The 476 epics sell fairly well too.

Shoulder enchants are iffy - the price has crashed fairly far, like 250-300 for one usually. Those DO sell for me at 600-700, but there are usually ones posted far lower.

Yeah you speak the truth.

I used to watch the AH like a hawk as I was embroiled in intense competition in the 18-40g/glyph price point.

It's moot if I don't have a steady influx of herbs at below AH prices since I'll literally never get the g/hour I'd like farming by hand or buying herbs from the AH in most cases.

I'll just have to see I guess.
Chunes

Postby halabar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 am

Screw it, couldn't even sell the engineering mount at 59k, so I just learned it.

Back to mining>JC/Alch while sitting in queues....

halabar

Postby Holyblaze » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:44 pm

HAHA BAM! GO GO Hala! I always learn my first mount that I make.

Yeah...the Glyph market on my server is AH PvP all the WAY! Alos, that few that are posted high is a tactic used by Goblins. There are a few on my server and a plethera of smaller fish (I am small in this market) under them. To much time to pvp for a small share of that market for me. I dabble here and there and score big from time to time. Although...its a TON of reposting so my time versus the margins on a few glyphs? Meh. haha I sold a glyph for 400g last night though. muhahaha the others were 600g. LUCKED OUT!
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Chunes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 am

Glyphs are definitely still viable on my server. Sat down with about 1k gold to invest in materials for 5-7 of the top glyphs from wowpopular.com. Crafted 1 of each glyph and started the undercut/cancel/repost cycle. 30g price floor with a 249.99.99 fallback price. Recouped the initial 1k investment in about 2 evenings of casual reposting.

So far I've invested a total of about 3k into mats and sold about 6k worth of glphs. I have (barring any late night sales I may have missed after I went to bed last night) 3 of each "popular" glyph and a few thousand g to play with. Not too shabby for some casual AH'ery.
Chunes

Postby Jabari » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Chunes wrote:Glyphs are definitely still viable on my server. Sat down with about 1k gold to invest in materials for 5-7 of the top glyphs from wowpopular.com. Crafted 1 of each glyph and started the undercut/cancel/repost cycle. 30g price floor with a 249.99.99 fallback price. Recouped the initial 1k investment in about 2 evenings of casual reposting.

So far I've invested a total of about 3k into mats and sold about 6k worth of glphs. I have (barring any late night sales I may have missed after I went to bed last night) 3 of each "popular" glyph and a few thousand g to play with. Not too shabby for some casual AH'ery.

Couple questions if you don't mind:
- How often do you go cancel/undercut/repost?

- Do you have an addon to do that?

- That's a HUGE range (30 - 250). Do you sell any/many at the top end of that?

- Also something I've never understood with that kind of range: Why are you reposting that low instead of simply buying up the ones at 30/40/whatever and leaving your posted ones alone?

Thanks!
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Chunes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Jabari wrote:
Couple questions if you don't mind:
- How often do you go cancel/undercut/repost?

- Do you have an addon to do that?

- That's a HUGE range (30 - 250). Do you sell any/many at the top end of that?

- Also something I've never understood with that kind of range: Why are you reposting that low instead of simply buying up the ones at 30/40/whatever and leaving your posted ones alone?

Thanks!

Great questions.

I will check to make sure i'm not undercut probably every 45 min or so. I'm leveling a lock right now for giggles and I'll usually log onto my glyph maker every 2-3 dungeons I finish (~45min). Your competition and your own preferences will have to dictate your optimal refresh interval. I have the 3 main competitors for glyph sales on friend lists on any char I play regularly, so whenever I see them pop on, I give them enough time to log off, then I'll go undercut them as soon as they log off.

As for addons, you definitely need one for efficient glyph crafting/posting. I use tradeskillmaster. I don't even know if there are alternative addon's out there to do what I need them todo, TSM is amazing. If you're trying to compete in glyphs, you will 100% of the time be out played by people using TSM if you yourself are not using it. It's that essential.

As for sales, I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of 230+ glyphs I have sold. I decided to cap my fallback at 250ish because the other guys on my server have their fallbacks set at something stupid like 1000g. I'm sure some rich, lazy person will pay that much, but honestly, 4 digits tends to scare people. 250 is a reasonable price point for a top end cap when you consider that the average player A) probably has enough gold to spend on that kind of price point and B) Inscription is esoteric enough of a profession that you have to go through a few layers of actions to actually produce a glyph (i.e. purchase herbs, mill herbs, make ink, buy paper, make glyph). That intellectual hurdle often times will be enough to push a would-be buyer to just buy the glyph for 250, rather than buy a stack of herbs, have to contact a scribe and go through the rigamorole of actually getting the damn thing crafted.

The 30g bottom point is simply my breakeven point + a few gold per glyph. Ideally I would never sell that low because I could probably go grind mobs somewhere for better g/hour, but if I sell glyphs at that low of a price point, then that's sales I'm denying my competition and that is worth something to me. While you make a good point about buying up cheap glyphs and relisting them, I've run into the trouble of people realizing what I'm up to and just posting everything that low and essentially muscling me out. Granted, they either have to be taking a loss on cheap sales like that, or the have to be approaching their breakeven. That sort of thing is not sustainable and really only worth doing if you have a ton of gold and are actively trying to push a competitor out of a market. Since I'm not getting my herbs for pennies from a farmer anymore, I can't afford to play that game just yet.

In terms of g/hour, I have not timed it precisely just yet, but it takes me about 20 min to fully restock my glyph inventory from herb purchase all the way to actual crafting. I'm only crafting a subset of the more popular glyphs, though that choice was more due to lack of starting capital than anything else. I should expand things tonight now that I mention that. if I'm at full stock, cancelling/reposting only takes about 5 minutes since it's so automated by TSM.
Chunes

Postby Jabari » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I tried using TSM a while ago, but couldn't make heads or tails of the thing. :oops:

Probably should try it again - I have a level 90/600 skill of everything except for engineering. Make a bunch of random stuff but have no real good way of tracking it. Only addon I use is Auctioneer.

Don't know that I'd call "once every 45 minutes" casual. *laugh* I have way too many chars doing other things to take much time for that. Currently only scan/post once a day, not sure I'd want to do that more than twice (esp during the week - can't do anything at all during the day).

Not that I'm really trying to "compete" for glyphs in particular, but I do like being able to use my tradeskills for helping myself (and not just the guild). :)

Also: Nice idea about putting the main "AH competitors" on your friend list. May have to do that with a couple people...
Jabari

Postby Chunes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Haha yeah, well everything is relative. Before quit the game early in cata, I was probably spending 85% of my in-game time on the AH. Now I'm trying to keep it under 20%.

Don't feel bad for being overwhelmed with TSM, it's an incredibly complex addon. I had to spend an entire night fiddling with it and watching guides to get it working. Even then, I have to make small course corrections whenever I notice unexpected behavior.

TSM can be a real headache to set up, but once you have your item groups established, it's pretty fire/forget. You may need to adjust some things over time as the market shifts, but the time savings you get once everything is flowing is just too damn good to pass up.
Chunes

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:31 pm

I never pay any attention to what TSM is doing. The only real attention it takes for my enchanting is watching the market price on mats when I'm restocking, and not buying stuff that's too high. I let the addon decide everything else.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General