Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Mannstein » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:41 am

halabar wrote:Packing it in, going into liquidation mode, slowly clearing out the old crap, so bags have room once Panda hits. Doing a bit of gathering when bored and waiting for LFR on the herber, but that's about it.

Same here, i'm reducing the stock on Glyphs, increasing the stock on old inks... 200 inks of the sea won't last till the new pandaherbs drop prices so we can buy them, but to be honest can't raise the willpower to get (buy/mill/trade) more...

Gems also selling slow, but not making new ones. (my last stock of epic reds/orange as selled veryyyy good, but i wont try to get more).
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby halabar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:51 am

Has anyone looked at all the new glyphs to see what the mats are? Since there's a major rework there, I wonder how many are old mats and how many will be new. So many glyphs are changing, it's hard to keep track.

(not that I'm gonna start scribing again, but all the other markets seem like they will be straightforward).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Newsom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:14 am

Skye1013 wrote:Hm... looks like 4 stacks sold, oh well. Today is Elemental Goo (I hate that one, and never do it as a result...)

Really? That's like, the easiest one apart from the sparkle shiny stuff on people daily. Just take the portal to Hyjal and kill 10 level 80 elementals and loot them, then take the portal back!
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Quick Question for people here.

I have a guild. Its just level one, but it has a 5 tab bank, 2.5 tabs full o' crap that will sell, albeit nothing is high market value stuff. Just the last of my things.

I'm debating what to do with it as I prepare to exit the game. I would assume that with the crush of MoP, the mats could carry some value.

My original plan was to give the bank to a guildie, but after checking no guildies that are going into panda need the bank. So now, I'm thinking about liquidating the bank, and just taking all the gold and dumping it in my guild's bank when I leave.

Any ideas on what to do with it? I just can't be bothered to try and sell it all off in pieces anymore.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Shoju wrote:Quick Question for people here.

I have a guild. Its just level one, but it has a 5 tab bank, 2.5 tabs full o' crap that will sell, albeit nothing is high market value stuff. Just the last of my things.

I'm debating what to do with it as I prepare to exit the game. I would assume that with the crush of MoP, the mats could carry some value.

My original plan was to give the bank to a guildie, but after checking no guildies that are going into panda need the bank. So now, I'm thinking about liquidating the bank, and just taking all the gold and dumping it in my guild's bank when I leave.

Any ideas on what to do with it? I just can't be bothered to try and sell it all off in pieces anymore.

Invite some random new kid playing the game to the guild, make him GM, and make your exit.

halabar

Postby rodos » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Potential incoming change to the bag market.

MMO Champ has this data mined this little gem: Royal Satchel
Notice anything? Yes, it does not bind. Finally a new Mooncloth Bag.

Looks like it won't be cheap to make. Requires 12 Imperial Silk, which seem to be an Imbued Netherweave Cloth equivalent. Total cost for the bag is currently 120 windwool cloth, 36 Spirit of Harmony, but demand could be high enough - at least initially - to make these profitable where other premium bags have not been.
rodos

Postby halabar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:29 am

The new engineering flying mounts that are basically the new choppers should be profitable for a while, once people hit 90, and perhaps choppers as well early on, since people won't be flying for a little bit.

Getting tempted in my boredom to level a scribe, considering the new shoulder enchant system.

Also thinking about getting stuff ready to sell when the new LFR hits. Should be a boost to JC and enchanting around that time.

And of course, looking back at JC, with the way the new perfect gems work, thinking there will be less gem transmuting going on, and how that will effect gem prices.

halabar

Postby Holyblaze » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:03 pm

What is the new LFR going to be and when is it going to drop to Live?
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Remember to have plenty of crafting materials of all levels available for those levelling Monks. They are not going to want to go farming for the mats, so you might as well make a buck off of them.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Cutesy, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:25 pm

It probably won't be quite as bad as when DKs were first introduced, since you still have to start a Monk at level 1, but yeah, there should be a bit more demand for a while at least. That is assuming they don't all go herb/mining and ignore the other professions because they've already got a stable of alts with every single one.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Skye1013 wrote:It probably won't be quite as bad as when DKs were first introduced, since you still have to start a Monk at level 1, but yeah, there should be a bit more demand for a while at least. That is assuming they don't all go herb/mining and ignore the other professions because they've already got a stable of alts with every single one.

Since monks can tank and heal, many of them will level quickly through random dungeons, which makes it difficult to keep up with mining and herbing. Also they should be in a bit of a hurry to get their monks up there to join in the raiding fun, so again no time spent mining and herbing.

And once they arrive at max level, they will want professions that have useful bonuses for them. Mining is OK for a tank but not for a healer or DPS, while herbing isn't much good for a tank.

I reckon you'd do well with herbs because they will be in demand for both alchemy and inscription.
Koatanga

Postby Holyblaze » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:46 pm

You know Koatanga, I didnt sell a single stack of Cata herbs this Xpac. I crafted them all up in Alch and Inc. haha shall see though. I do have huge amounts of Cata herbs for to sell though.
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm

I bought tons of herbs because herbing doesn't make economic sense to me.

Crafting X costs Y in gold whether or not you farm the herbs, because if you farmed the herbs and put them on the AH, you would make Y gold.

So if you farm 100g worth of herbs to make stuff, look at it like you farmed 100g worth of herbs to sell, then bought 100g worth of herbs to make stuff.

So if there is any way I can raise gold faster than herbing for it, that's a more worthwhile thing to do than to spend that time herbing. How I come by the 100g is irrelevant, provided the crafting herbs are there to buy for that 100g.

In fact, you could often do better farming lower-level herbs - was it goldthorn? - that sold for much more per stack than Cata herbs, and buying the Cata herbs you need with the proceeds.

Or you could just start off with a bit of a bankroll and forget the whole farming thing, which is pretty much what I did. If processing Yg worth of herbs made me Xg in finished goodsg, then processing 500Yg worth made me 500Zg and I didn't have to spend hours doing boring farming.

I do have one herbalist toon, in case materials are scarce, and I have one mining toon for the same reason, but otherwise all of my toons either have money-making professions or ones that give them stat benefits for raiding. I never farm what I sell - I have people hwo do that for me.
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 pm

While yes, you do have to factor in the time cost of farming herbs, you can't just "buy 100g worth of herbs" to craft stuff without having had a time cost of "farming" gold. Sure, the time cost of gold farming may be less than the time cost of herb farming, but it's still part of the process at some point. Even if you're just collecting gold while leveling, it's still factored in, albeit the time management ratio is better since you're covering multiple objectives with the same amount of time.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Skye1013 wrote:While yes, you do have to factor in the time cost of farming herbs, you can't just "buy 100g worth of herbs" to craft stuff without having had a time cost of "farming" gold. Sure, the time cost of gold farming may be less than the time cost of herb farming, but it's still part of the process at some point. Even if you're just collecting gold while leveling, it's still factored in, albeit the time management ratio is better since you're covering multiple objectives with the same amount of time.

I agree, but there are activities that earn me more per hour than farming herbs, which includes simply processing more ore/herbs to make more stuff. Sure, the raw materials come at a cost, but if I can net more in a half hour by producing than I can by farming, even after considering the materials cost, then I'm better off producing than farming.

Even herbing things that sell for more than Cata herbs is better to do than farming Cata herbs when I need to craft things that require Cata herbs. It all comes down to what nets you the most gold/hour. Doing anything else, for purpose of making gold, is counter-productive.

Certainly levelling is a great thing to do because it nets you both gold and the fun of playing at the same time. Farming is boring at best, and frustrating when you see a bot picking things right form under your nose.

I'm not the richest player, because these days I can only be bothered to log in to raid, and because I have a transmog habit (full Glorious and Vanguard sets on my pally now), but I still have over a quarter million gold for whatever I need gold for. With that capital, more gold is easy to come by, because I can afford to invest a ton to make a ton.
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:While yes, you do have to factor in the time cost of farming herbs, you can't just "buy 100g worth of herbs" to craft stuff without having had a time cost of "farming" gold. Sure, the time cost of gold farming may be less than the time cost of herb farming, but it's still part of the process at some point. Even if you're just collecting gold while leveling, it's still factored in, albeit the time management ratio is better since you're covering multiple objectives with the same amount of time.

I agree, but there are activities that earn me more per hour than farming herbs, which includes simply processing more ore/herbs to make more stuff. Sure, the raw materials come at a cost, but if I can net more in a half hour by producing than I can by farming, even after considering the materials cost, then I'm better off producing than farming.

Just was pointing out that you have to collect that initial gold before you can flat out purchase your ore/herbs. Not disagreeing that there are better ways to make gold, but if you don't have that starting capital, then there are only so many other ways you can go about it.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Just was pointing out that you have to collect that initial gold before you can flat out purchase your ore/herbs. Not disagreeing that there are better ways to make gold, but if you don't have that starting capital, then there are only so many other ways you can go about it.

That's true, and small-scale processors are much more likely to have a bad run of luck, as well. Someone processing 2 stacks of ore may get a lot of blue-socket gems and basically lose his investment. Someone processing 20 stacks is more likely to get a better distribution, but variation still happens. I process 200 stacks at a time, so I know pretty much exactly what I am going to get out of it.

Herb processing for inscription is much more reliable, because the mats you need to make the things that sell are the base ones, not the special ones, and there isn't much variation in the number of pigments you get. Theoretically you could build that up slowly, but I don't find the inscription market very lucritive, currently. I imagine the shoulder-enchant business will be nice, but will probably require the special pigments, again favoring the large-volume processor.
Koatanga

Postby rodos » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:31 pm

OMG. I sold a chopper. Been sitting on that thing for months. I should probably lower my acceptable floor price, now that I've got a miner to make my own Titansteel and avoid the markup.

Interesting. Just checked TUJ and price of Titansteel and Titanium is way up. I wonder if that's driving people to buy the finished product from the AH rather than buying mats and paying an engineer for the craft.

Also interesting. TUJ post about trends in "all realm" auction stats points out some potential shenanigans around items that have been rumored as dupe targets:

Queen's Garnet
Reins of the Crimson Deathcharger

No proof of foul play, of course, but players were certainly not wrong that there's been something unusual going on.
rodos

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I did quite alot of herbing in early Cata and sold the erbs directly.

In hindsight I should have kept them and done inscription, but I still made gold *and* leveled my druid at the same time, so it was a dual outcome activity.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:06 am

rodos wrote:Also interesting. TUJ post about trends in "all realm" auction stats points out some potential shenanigans around items that have been rumored as dupe targets:

Queen's Garnet

No proof of foul play, of course, but players were certainly not wrong that there's been something unusual going on.

It's more than a rumor, it's certainly happening. Seen both on my server for a while. Last week it was the mounts, suddenly selling for 30k instead of 80k+. And far too many at once to be legit.

When you whisper one guy about the mount, and another guy with the name "Thkrgsg45" opens a trade window with you, you know something is up. :wink:

I've given up reporting these guys, as Blizz obviously doesn't care at this point.

halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:11 am

Koatanga wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:Just was pointing out that you have to collect that initial gold before you can flat out purchase your ore/herbs. Not disagreeing that there are better ways to make gold, but if you don't have that starting capital, then there are only so many other ways you can go about it.

That's true, and small-scale processors are much more likely to have a bad run of luck, as well. Someone processing 2 stacks of ore may get a lot of blue-socket gems and basically lose his investment. Someone processing 20 stacks is more likely to get a better distribution, but variation still happens. I process 200 stacks at a time, so I know pretty much exactly what I am going to get out of it.

Side note here... the rush for Cata herbs early in Panda might not be as good as you might think. I don't expect a lot of new Alchemists (given the way Alchemy is getting the shaft), but do expect a lot of new scribes. The think is, scribology doesn't require any of those hard-to-get herbs that Alchemy does. Scribes can process any trash herbs and do just fine leveling. Only spot it gets a bit tight is the Northrend herbs.

But to the main point here...

Gather when prices are extremely high (and sell them), buy the mats and then process/craft once the mat prices drop a bit.

halabar

Postby Jabari » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:44 am

halabar wrote: Only spot it gets a bit tight is the Outland herbs.

Fixed that. Northrend herbs are super-easy for scribes (go to Sholozar, fly around for 20 minutes, have 15 stacks of Northrend herbs). Outland herbs are a total PITA - there aren't anywhere near as many spawn points. No "bonus Deadnettles", either. Ugh - hate hate hate trying to get those inks.

(Yes, I farm my own stuff - not gonna buy herbs/ore from a botter. *shrug*)

More possible duping nonsense: Someone was offering a Vial of the Sands for 25k. I have that recipe, and just the grays are right around that much. *sigh*
... the fact that more potential voters are swayed by a few trivial comments 10 years ago than a candidate literally collapsing is not a good sign and tends to indicate that even if Trump wins, it won't matter.

No electorate that stupid is going to survive long, one way or another.
Jabari

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 am

Jabari wrote:
halabar wrote: Only spot it gets a bit tight is the Outland herbs.

Fixed that. Northrend herbs are super-easy for scribes (go to Sholozar, fly around for 20 minutes, have 15 stacks of Northrend herbs). Outland herbs are a total PITA - there aren't anywhere near as many spawn points. No "bonus Deadnettles", either. Ugh - hate hate hate trying to get those inks.

Outlands herbs were cheap enough for me that they weren't an issue (20G/stack) and there was decent supply, Northrend was 100G/stack, so I actually had to go out and farm those...

halabar

Postby rodos » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:09 pm

halabar wrote:
rodos wrote:Also interesting. TUJ post about trends in "all realm" auction stats points out some potential shenanigans around items that have been rumored as dupe targets:

Queen's Garnet

It's more than a rumor, it's certainly happening. Seen both on my server for a while. Last week it was the mounts, suddenly selling for 30k instead of 80k+. And far too many at once to be legit.

When you whisper one guy about the mount, and another guy with the name "Thkrgsg45" opens a trade window with you, you know something is up. :wink:

I've given up reporting these guys, as Blizz obviously doesn't care at this point.

I'm sure there's something going on. Not sure if it's duping though. I believe the Queen's Garnet thing was an exploit of some kind - maybe allowing re-roll of geode contents - but I wonder if the Deathchargers could just be obtained by gold farmers running ICC for Shadowmourne in small groups (the two-level-one-throwaways being used to shelter high-level farming accounts from bans). I mean, in terms of gold per hour, would boosting a swarm of new DKs from 55 to 80 and chaining running them through the quests with a few geared 85s be viable?

An extra data point is that it's just affecting Deathchargers, not the other rewards from the quest line. There's a few possible explanations for this:
  1. It's a dupe exploit and all the rewards are flagged "unique" except the deathcharger
  2. Deathchargers are being obtained somewhere (legitimately or otherwise) and then shipped in quantity to other realms in order to get gold on those realms. A unique item is not good for this purpose.
  3. It's exploitation of a bug that only works on "consumable" items.
rodos

Postby Xfighter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:41 am

Yes, the deathcharger hit my realm as well get past 2 weeks. Down to about 20-30k with tons in trade/ah trying to sell all at once. Some gold farmers, and others who bought from said sellers trying to just get rid of them even at a personal loss out of fear of punishment/removal without reimbursement.

In other news; gave up trying standard ways of money making. Decided to hit the transmog market for vanilla/bc plate/mail and been doing alright.

Started with 15k on a new toon for stocking and guild tabs. First two days spent stocking (spent 99% of the 15k to stock + post everything), and been doing it for the past 13? Days.

I've pretty much booted the 3 existing competitors outof the market. I'm currently at 23k on the toon with 400 auctions posted and another 2.5 guild tabs filled with gear. I've stopped buying up cheap items in hopes of liquidating more of my stock as for the first 10 days I wasposting auctions as well as buying everything sub 100g and was hardly making profit due to the massive cost of restocking.

Waiting to see how much I can make before mop from this alone.

Only regret - not doing this sooner!
Xfighter

PreviousNext

Return to General