Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby ceela » Tue May 25, 2010 2:25 am

I was kicking myself for missing out of a Healing Power recipe for 2.8k, then I picked up Spellpower for 50g last night. And now the remote AH works for EU accounts, so I'm a happy seller :)

Interestingly, there appears to be cheaper saronite during the mornings. Buybuybuy time.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
User avatar
ceela
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:24 am

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby hoho » Tue May 25, 2010 2:43 am

ceela wrote:I was kicking myself for missing out of a Healing Power recipe for 2.8k, then I picked up Spellpower for 50g last night.
Thanks for the hints, I'm now a proud owner of both recepies for a combined price of ~2.5k :)

I think I might resell spellpower one though as golden pearls are non-existent on my realm and it's pretty close to impossible to farm them. Mats for healing power are much easier to get in comparison
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:05 am

hoho wrote:
ceela wrote:I was kicking myself for missing out of a Healing Power recipe for 2.8k, then I picked up Spellpower for 50g last night.
Thanks for the hints, I'm now a proud owner of both recepies for a combined price of ~2.5k :)

I think I might resell spellpower one though as golden pearls are non-existent on my realm and it's pretty close to impossible to farm them. Mats for healing power are much easier to get in comparison


Isn't healing power more SP anyway? Seems like an overall better deal.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3540
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby ceela » Tue May 25, 2010 3:13 am

Healing Power's 29 and Essence of Water (? Or something like that), Spellpower is 30 and golden pearls. There's always a handful of pearls at ~130g on my server, rarely any water. That said, I've never seen a Spellpower recipe (my AH data only lists the 1, which I bought) and 2-3 Healing Power, so it's possible this is because I'm the only enchanter actively bothering with the recipe so nobody buys the pearls.

Still tempted to pick up the healing power recipe for 2.5k just to see which sells better, but there's 2-3 people selling scrolls of that one so I'm not sure it's worth the camping fight.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
User avatar
ceela
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:24 am

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 am

EDIT: Ceela beat me to it.


I bought both recipes and am selling both scrolls rather often. My reasoning is why limit yourself to just one? If somebody is smart enough to see that 30sp is way more expensive and goes to buy healing power why should you let somebody else ahve the sale eh?
Last edited by daemonym on Tue May 25, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
User avatar
daemonym
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: With Cats on Mars

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby hoho » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 am

ceela wrote: There's always a handful of pearls at ~130g on my server, rarely any water.
From what I remember I got a bunch of water from just leveling. On two different (very) high-pop servers I've seen golden pearls go for around 300g+ a piece. On my main server there was only a single one on sale a couple of hours ago for 500g.

It's kind of weird reading some of the wowhead comments saying golden pearls went for <10g. I wonder if it's a typo or did something drastically change and I missed it.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby ceela » Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 am

hoho wrote:
ceela wrote: There's always a handful of pearls at ~130g on my server, rarely any water.
From what I remember I got a bunch of water from just leveling. On two different (very) high-pop servers I've seen golden pearls go for around 300g+ a piece. On my main server there was only a single one on sale a couple of hours ago for 500g.

It's kind of weird reading some of the wowhead comments saying golden pearls went for <10g. I wonder if it's a typo or did something drastically change and I missed it.


Heirlooms. The enchant was useless for TBC because nobody at the top end needed (TBC enchants were better) and nobody levelling could afford/be bothered with it. It's now the best enchant for heirloom caster weapons, hence the sudden value.

Edit: Well, I got the Healing Power recipe for 2.5k anyway. Amusingly, there's still half a dozen pearls and not a single water on the AH.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
User avatar
ceela
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:24 am

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 3:55 am

I probably should have observed the market for a bit longer (It's been a long while since I was on this server last), but I started testing the water of a couple of markets. O:

If this goes horribly wrong I'm totally blaming you, daemonym.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby ceela » Tue May 25, 2010 4:14 am

I have just realised the absolute best use of the website AH.

You don't need to show as online to post. Take that, damn campers.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
User avatar
ceela
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:24 am

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 am

ceela wrote:I have just realised the absolute best use of the website AH.

You don't need to show as online to post. Take that, damn campers.


They will take it and use it with a smile. They'll still be standing around spamming cancel/post. And now you won't even know it.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
User avatar
daemonym
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: With Cats on Mars

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 4:19 am

K lol at the ridiculous markups on Eternium and Adamantite rods. Ta for the heads up on those, I wouldn't have thought to look.

So it's just as well some of the BC stuff is going well cause it appears the local goblins are in the middle of a game of "lets see who has the money to force the other out of the titanium weapon chain and eternal belt buckle markets".
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby ceela » Tue May 25, 2010 4:47 am

daemonym wrote:
ceela wrote:I have just realised the absolute best use of the website AH.

You don't need to show as online to post. Take that, damn campers.


They will take it and use it with a smile. They'll still be standing around spamming cancel/post. And now you won't even know it.


Well, there is that. Pretty certain there's a couple using friendlists, though.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
User avatar
ceela
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:24 am

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby theckhd » Tue May 25, 2010 5:02 am

daemonym wrote:However if the price of singles are way higher than stacks then it's people counting on the laziness of others who will then buy up all their expensive singles so they don't have to scroll through 50 pages. Of course the opposite could be true and people will buy expensive stacks so they don't have to buy a few hundred singles. It's aggravating, it's wicked, and it's also very effective.


Make sense?

I switched from Auctioneer to Auctionator a while back. Auctionator gives you an alternate "buy" window similar to what Auctioneer did, but when you purchase items that are in many stacks of 1, it lets you type in how many you want to buy. Really rather convenient. There are other things it doesn't do as well as Auctioneer, but I don't miss most of the extra stuff, and it's a lot more lightweight.

Levantine wrote:I probably should have observed the market for a bit longer (It's been a long while since I was on this server last), but I started testing the water of a couple of markets. O:

If this goes horribly wrong I'm totally blaming you, daemonym.

If you weasel into my enchanting/engineering market, I will cut you.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Pizbit » Tue May 25, 2010 5:08 am

hoho wrote:It's kind of weird reading some of the wowhead comments saying golden pearls went for <10g. I wonder if it's a typo or did something drastically change and I missed it.


During classic they were expensive(for the time) then blizzard went and significantly increased the drop rate for them shortly before TBC came out so they became near worthless.

Price has only gone up because there's demand again, they're no longer a traditionally farmed item and less levelers.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 5:10 am

theckhd wrote:If you weasel into my enchanting/engineering market, I will cut you.


Fear not! Liberté is still without gears (I wonder how much longer that'll take, actually)! (I'm on a different server trying to grab a little bit of the blacksmith/enchanting market to make any casual alting I do less painful.

And rofl, I checked the mats cost of the weapon chains and the goblins had driven the price down to below mats cost. Chain = 1.5g, Mats = 2.5g
Last edited by Levantine on Tue May 25, 2010 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 5:11 am

theckhd wrote:
Levantine wrote:I probably should have observed the market for a bit longer (It's been a long while since I was on this server last), but I started testing the water of a couple of markets. O:

If this goes horribly wrong I'm totally blaming you, daemonym.

If you weasel into my enchanting/engineering market, I will cut you.


/grabs popcorn
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
User avatar
daemonym
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: With Cats on Mars

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby lythac » Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 am

ceela wrote:
hoho wrote:
ceela wrote: There's always a handful of pearls at ~130g on my server, rarely any water.
From what I remember I got a bunch of water from just leveling. On two different (very) high-pop servers I've seen golden pearls go for around 300g+ a piece. On my main server there was only a single one on sale a couple of hours ago for 500g.

It's kind of weird reading some of the wowhead comments saying golden pearls went for <10g. I wonder if it's a typo or did something drastically change and I missed it.


Heirlooms. The enchant was useless for TBC because nobody at the top end needed (TBC enchants were better) and nobody levelling could afford/be bothered with it. It's now the best enchant for heirloom caster weapons, hence the sudden value.

Edit: Well, I got the Healing Power recipe for 2.5k anyway. Amusingly, there's still half a dozen pearls and not a single water on the AH.


Enchant wasn't useless in TBC was still the enchant choice of most caster twinks.

Golden pearls were dirt cheap in TBC as they dropped from the Nagas in the Coilfang instances at a fairly decent rate (as well as the Nagas in Zangarmarsh).

Edit - also the patterns were BoP during Vanialla and TBC, players didn't go and solo MC on a regular basis or go for fun as often so the pattern was a lot rarer. So it was still a decent seller during TBC to the twink market.
Last edited by lythac on Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2072
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 5:13 am

Also, Lib would strictly be Mining/JC since I'm too lazy to actually level anything else on her.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby rodos » Tue May 25, 2010 6:00 am

Levantine wrote:And rofl, I checked the mats cost of the weapon chains and the goblins had driven the price down to below mats cost. Chain = 1.5g, Mats = 2.5g

Titanium weapon chain? What magical candy land is this where such a thing can be crafted for 2.5g?

As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.
Netherweave Bags are pretty much owned by one guy selling for 4.75 with netherweave going for 4g/stack, belt buckles and Brilliant Spellthread are only profitable if you get a deal on the eternals (prices of eternal life and shadow fluctuate wildly from about 15-30g in the case of the former and 5-15g for the latter). I don't know how anyone is making money on Titansteel Bars either -- I'm guessing its people with miner/alch combo among their alts looking for a market that's easier to deal with than the never ending flood of saronite ore.
User avatar
rodos
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 am

rodos wrote:As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.


It doesn't matter what you paid for mats, what matters is what THEY paid for mats. Here's what I mean. If I buy the materials for ITEM at 20g and they later on spike up to 50g I can still sell an ITEM for 30g and be making a profit. It's all in the timing. This is how I'm able to sell buckles, titansteel (xmute mastery helps here too), and epic threads among many other things for well below the "normal" material price. I'll stokpile a few hundred eternal fires when the price is 15g and once they go back up to the standard 25-30g I can undercut everybody by a ton and still be turning a good profit while everyone else either tries to scrape by with 2g profits or stops listing all together. Either way it makes other potential sellers shy away and makes buyers much more loose with the proverbial purse strings and I get a bit more coin to toss onto the pile.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
User avatar
daemonym
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: With Cats on Mars

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 am

daemonym wrote:
rodos wrote:As for price < mats, there's quite a few markets in Lightbringer that have been driven down to this, or very close.


It doesn't matter what you paid for mats, what matters is what THEY paid for mats. Here's what I mean. If I buy the materials for ITEM at 20g and they later on spike up to 50g I can still sell an ITEM for 30g and be making a profit. It's all in the timing. This is how I'm able to sell buckles, titansteel (xmute mastery helps here too), and epic threads among many other things for well below the "normal" material price. I'll stokpile a few hundred eternal fires when the price is 15g and once they go back up to the standard 25-30g I can undercut everybody by a ton and still be turning a good profit while everyone else either tries to scrape by with 2g profits or stops listing all together. Either way it makes other potential sellers shy away and makes buyers much more loose with the proverbial purse strings and I get a bit more coin to toss onto the pile.


I was doing this briefly with Crusader scrolls, since I was originally posting them for ~200g, and they were selling just fine, others posted until the price dropped to ~100g, I bought up a bunch and waited for the price to run back up. Not an exact science, but it can work to your favor once in awhile.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3540
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby arrigo » Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 am

If you have a desire to farm for a few minutes, you can get essence of water pretty quickly. GO to Eastern Plaguelands there's a lake in the South-East that has lots of water elementals I took a trip and a half around the lake in about 15 minutes and had enough water's for 4 healing power enchants.
arrigo
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby halabar » Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 am

I'm doing ok just selling bullets. My hunter is an eng/miner, so I farm ore, make bullets from the earth, and sell the rest of the mats. My pally is JC/BS, which has pretty much locked him out of most AH work, other than cutting red gems, buckles are too cheap to bother with.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Chunes » Tue May 25, 2010 9:04 am

daemonym wrote:Are the profits on vendoring rings that worth while on your server? If they are, I'd suggest a small bit of grind and DE them if you have an enchanter. If the mats are that cheap that you can vendor it, then that would make the profit margins on enchant scrolls amazing.

...

If the server pop is that imbalanced, keep a close eye on who controls WG during prime time. When your faction has it the farmers will be SWARMING over there since you likely don't have it that often. Take that time to prepare for a flood of cheap eternals and likely saronite as well. Doesn't always happen but it's very much worth looking into.

...

I had a lot of fun doing this and it takes an actual sense of how peopel work, timing, and business. As usual, my best advice to give is to stokpile as much as humanly possible, especially lichbloom.


The craft rings -> vendor session I did last week was an experiment on my part. I got a few stacks of bloodstone and huge citrines for around 1g per and I had enough eternal earth and other green gems in my bank to craft about 170 rings. Not saying by any stretch of the imagination it was the smartest use of my time/mats, but it did net me a decent chunk of change in the black.

Dust is dirt cheap currently on my side of the server, truthfully though, the only thing keeping me from getting a scroll factory up and running was the lack of a dependable enchanter or two. Fortunately two guildmates have transfered advanced enchanters and I plan on leveraging their talents.

Regarding your WG advice, lamentably the only time my faction ever has WG is a short span on tuesdays after the server resets. the opposing faction owns it for the rest of the week :cry:. This could explain the slightly more favorable saronite prices I observed last tues/weds. I tend to avoid WG like the plague unless I have a fishing daily there, is it really such a hot spot for ore farming? I would have figured Sholazar/Icecrown would have been the place to go.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 9:18 am

Chunes wrote:Dust is dirt cheap currently on my side of the server, truthfully though, the only thing keeping me from getting a scroll factory up and running was the lack of a dependable enchanter or two. Fortunately two guildmates have transfered advanced enchanters and I plan on leveraging their talents.

Regarding your WG advice, lamentably the only time my faction ever has WG is a short span on tuesdays after the server resets. the opposing faction owns it for the rest of the week :cry:. This could explain the slightly more favorable saronite prices I observed last tues/weds. I tend to avoid WG like the plague unless I have a fishing daily there, is it really such a hot spot for ore farming? I would have figured Sholazar/Icecrown would have been the place to go.


There's a lot of people that are dual gatherers and go there for the lower competition and ti's also a prime spot for eternal farming of any kind if you control WG. And since there's almost always a bunch of rich saronite nodes in the area people tend to pick up a ton.


halabar wrote:I'm doing ok just selling bullets. My hunter is an eng/miner, so I farm ore, make bullets from the earth, and sell the rest of the mats. My pally is JC/BS, which has pretty much locked him out of most AH work, other than cutting red gems, buckles are too cheap to bother with.


Make some TBC enchanting rods on your smith and use your JC to cut any epics whose raw gem price is 40g under the cut price. It'll take a bit of time to check the gem cuts rather than crafting a few of everything, but is more reliable profit even if there is a goblin like myself on your server. Also look into titanium weapon chains or ToC epics if you're willing to make the investment. There's plenty to be crafted and sold!

On my server making bullets is almost pointless and is done more as a service than for gold with the 1g profit on a stack of ammo of either kind. If nothing else, sell the saronite you pick up as bars or get some titanium xmuting done and make titansteel. But most likely you'll see better profits farming cobalt than saronite as everybody and their mother farms it leaving cobalt almost entirely untouched.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
User avatar
daemonym
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: With Cats on Mars

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest