Remove Advertisements

Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Chunes » Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 am

Daemonym, from time to time you refer to an AH competitor by the letters "UF".

I'm sure you mentioned what UF stands for in an earlier post, but as i'm power-digesting your blog atm (i.e. speed reading every relevant entry from day one) I cba to go back and scan for what UF stands for.

Care to enlighten me?

Also, I'm really enjoying your blog. It's sort of a mix between gevlon's blog and JMTC, concise/practical tips/strategies accompanied by solid philosophy/theory. I'm eating it up.

I'm just now 1 week into my campaign to aggressively make gold via AH tactics and I've pulled in about 4k in JC sales. 1-4 epic cuts/day, 10-20 rare cuts and a handfull of uncommon cuts as well as vendoring mass amounts of jc rings/necks has been my strategy.

I operate on a low-ish pop server where the opposing faction has about a 2:1 ratio on us. Needless to say the market can be a little strange sometimes. My only complaint so far has been the lack of farmers on my faction. Raw materials are rarely in abundance.

I'm looking to break into the alchemy market soon, but I need to research it's viability yet and I'm also planning on opening up a glyph industry as well. 4k/week is well and good, but I'll never hit my goal of getting capped by cata at that pace.
Chunes

Postby Zobel » Mon May 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Chunes wrote:Daemonym, from time to time you refer to an AH competitor by the letters "UF".

I'm sure you mentioned what UF stands for in an earlier post, but as i'm power-digesting your blog atm (i.e. speed reading every relevant entry from day one) I cba to go back and scan for what UF stands for.

Care to enlighten me?

Uber farmer.
Zobel

Postby Chunes » Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Zobel wrote:
Chunes wrote:Daemonym, from time to time you refer to an AH competitor by the letters "UF".

Care to enlighten me?

Uber farmer.

<3 Thanks Zobel
Chunes

Postby Fanazavana » Mon May 24, 2010 3:52 pm

The last four or five days almost all the glyphs I can make (I've learned all I can from the books and have been doing dailys for a few weeks now) are selling for almost exactly 3g50s, or exactly where the profitability limit is if you're buying herbs for 50s each.

The thing is, NO Northrend herbs are selling for under 1g/ea and even most of the lower level herbs like felweed are selling for way more than 50s/ea.

I can't figure out how these people are selling glyphs for such a low price when the herb market is jacked up.
Fanazavana

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon May 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Chances are they're farming the mats themselves and think this means it's ok to cut their profits by stupid amounts because cheap stuff sells.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Gracerath » Mon May 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Fanazavana wrote:The last four or five days almost all the glyphs I can make (I've learned all I can from the books and have been doing dailys for a few weeks now) are selling for almost exactly 3g50s, or exactly where the profitability limit is if you're buying herbs for 50s each.

The thing is, NO Northrend herbs are selling for under 1g/ea and even most of the lower level herbs like felweed are selling for way more than 50s/ea.

I can't figure out how these people are selling glyphs for such a low price when the herb market is jacked up.

Yeah thats the way its been for me too. Something weird happened this weekend, basically every single stack of herbs was up for really retarded prices. Like 80-300g per 20 for every northrend herb. It still hasn't mellowed out. All of the UF's just post according to their mods so the 50 stacks of Tiger Lily that normally go for 8-10g each week were upwards of 40g per stack. In order to keep my glyph machine going, I've had to pick herbs :/ And I don't like it. :evil: However it wasn't TOO bad of a use of my time. I just kicked back and listened to some music and bs'd with friends in /gu while picking.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Mon May 24, 2010 5:45 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Chances are they're farming the mats themselves and think this means it's ok to cut their profits by stupid amounts because cheap stuff sells.

If they are indeed farming all the mats for glyphs and you're sure of it, buy them out. A while ago me and a friend decided to farm a ton of herbs (this was when I first got into glyphs ages ago). After several hours of two people farming herbs with zero competition I got enough inks to last me 3 days.

If herb prices and popular glyphs don't seem to match up look for the price on ink of the sea. In my alliance glyph business I rarely buy herbs to mill in all honesty. Adder's tongue is liek 30-40g a stack and the same goes for most others. IotS however is usually (read: almost always) in large supply for only 2.5g each or 50 a stack. But if that isn't the case either look into the prices of old world and TBC herbs. I can get stacks of felweed for under 10g/stack sometimes and that's well worth the price, especially since you use the ehteral inks they mill into more than almost any other.

This goes for anybody that is questioning how viable glyphs are as a money maker on their server. Plain and simple, everybody uses them, everybody buys some for leveling and mroe at 80, everybody has dual spec these days. Everybody will change a spec now and then. There will ALWAYS be a market for glyphs.

Jasari wrote:I just wanted to reply to give props to daemonym's blog. After reading through some of his techniques, I went from making about ~1k gold per week to making over 10k gold per week while literally only logging in for about 30 minutes on weeknights to post auctions (my only real playtime these days is on weekends) and only having access to a 450 JC, Enchanter, Alchemist, and Tailor. It's all really easy and intuitive but just takes confidence that making big investments in raw materials will turn around into huge profits.

Glad you're enjoying it and there's still much to be written for it! /hug

Chunes wrote:I'm just now 1 week into my campaign to aggressively make gold via AH tactics and I've pulled in about 4k in JC sales. 1-4 epic cuts/day, 10-20 rare cuts and a handfull of uncommon cuts as well as vendoring mass amounts of jc rings/necks has been my strategy.

Are the profits on vendoring rings that worth while on your server? If they are, I'd suggest a small bit of grind and DE them if you have an enchanter. If the mats are that cheap that you can vendor it, then that would make the profit margins on enchant scrolls amazing.

I operate on a low-ish pop server where the opposing faction has about a 2:1 ratio on us. Needless to say the market can be a little strange sometimes. My only complaint so far has been the lack of farmers on my faction. Raw materials are rarely in abundance.

If the server pop is that imbalanced, keep a close eye on who controls WG during prime time. When your faction has it the farmers will be SWARMING over there since you likely don't have it that often. Take that time to prepare for a flood of cheap eternals and likely saronite as well. Doesn't always happen but it's very much worth looking into.

I'm looking to break into the alchemy market soon, but I need to research it's viability yet and I'm also planning on opening up a glyph industry as well. 4k/week is well and good, but I'll never hit my goal of getting capped by cata at that pace.

I had a lot of fun doing this and it takes an actual sense of how peopel work, timing, and business. As usual, my best advice to give is to stokpile as much as humanly possible, especially lichbloom.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby rodos » Mon May 24, 2010 7:19 pm

Fanazavana wrote:The last four or five days almost all the glyphs I can make (I've learned all I can from the books and have been doing dailys for a few weeks now) are selling for almost exactly 3g50s, or exactly where the profitability limit is if you're buying herbs for 50s each.

There's a couple of things that could be going on here. One is the "M&S" who thinks farmed = free as others have mentioned. However, there could be a goblin at work here. Someone who's stockpiled a huge amount of herbs or inks could be using this period of high herb prices to drive other scribes out of business. Alternatively, someone could be camping the AH buying out all cheap herbs to starve out the competing scribes.
rodos

Postby Arnock » Mon May 24, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm jealous of all of your talk of 'exess and stockpiled herbs' =(

At any rate, gonna try to get back into the scroll market, oughta pad my pockets a bit more. I'm down to 13k after buying a hilt for my rarely used holy set on a whim. And I kinda wanna make gold cap by cata.

I've noticed that most of the dust on my server sells for stacks of 1 :x

Is there a tool with auctioneer that could batch buy all of them without having to click through to purchase and confirm the purchase of that much dust.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby daemonym » Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Arnock wrote:I've noticed that most of the dust on my server sells for stacks of 1 :x

Is there a tool with auctioneer that could batch buy all of them without having to click through to purchase and confirm the purchase of that much dust.

Since making JC rings to DE for dust fell out of style the single stacks have come back and damn it's annoying. Though with people still running heroics daily and the like there's stil la good supply when you can catch it.

There isn't a tool to buy them all out so to speak, but auctioneer has a function that makes it not so bad. You can set up the easy buy out feature so taht you can just shift+right click on an AH listing and buy it out. just spam that a bunch while moving the cursor up and down to pick them all up. You can find it under Configure > EasyBuyout from the AH window.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby Arnock » Mon May 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks, never did understand the logic behind posting stacks of 1. Back when disenchanting was mostly profitable, I always posted in stacks of 5.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby rodos » Tue May 25, 2010 12:41 am

Arnock wrote:Thanks, never did understand the logic behind posting stacks of 1. Back when disenchanting was mostly profitable, I always posted in stacks of 5.

I think the logic is that most buyers are lazy and won't bother clicking through 5 pages of your single stacks to get to the larger stacks with better unit prices. From what I hear it works too. :cry:
rodos

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 25, 2010 12:45 am

It's not so much laziness as that the broken auction ordering is counterintuitive. You tell your auction house to list by price or market percentage, you expect it to do that and have the cheapest up front.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby daemonym » Tue May 25, 2010 1:52 am

I realized that when I said the single stacks were from when DE'ing jc rings was profitable wasn't very specific, so here's the longer-ish response.

When wrath first came out and the prices on everything settled down, the price of dust could get as high as 5g EACH. Meanwhile a person with easy access to a JC and an enchanter could craft a ton of rings with common gems and crystallized earth for a single gold and get some dust and cosmics out of it, basically tripling their investment with immediate sales. I remember cringing almost when I got a good upgrade and needed to stay at 540 defense with enchants, all of which take a bunch of dust. So rather than buy a few stacks for 100g, which was about the average price then, I'd buy exactly the right amount that I needed for the enchant that I was going to get and no more. When you're concerned about money you try to waste as little as possible and buy only what you need when you need it.

Because of that people that were listing dust in stacks would often find their auctions all unsold but those that listed them in singles would sell several stacks a day like that. So that mentality and trend has continued because people don't understand the meaning of it and just blindly follow it thinking "oh lots of people are posting in singles so I should too!"

The other explanation is, as others have mentioned, market manipulation. If you post a bunch of one thing for really expensive and another really low, it screws with the market % function making many think that they're getting a good deal when they aren't.

However if the price of singles are way higher than stacks then it's people counting on the laziness of others who will then buy up all their expensive singles so they don't have to scroll through 50 pages. Of course the opposite could be true and people will buy expensive stacks so they don't have to buy a few hundred singles. It's aggravating, it's wicked, and it's also very effective.

Make sense?

daemonym

Postby rodos » Tue May 25, 2010 1:57 am

KysenMurrin wrote:It's not so much laziness as that the broken auction ordering is counterintuitive. You tell your auction house to list by price or market percentage, you expect it to do that and have the cheapest up front.

The new remote auction house sort by buyout/item or bid/item works.

I like playing the AH game on the bus, so may well pay end up paying the extra $3/mo for it, but it will be a pretty crappy move by Blizzard if the in-game AH is less functional than the remote one.
rodos

PreviousNext

Return to General