Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby amh » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:34 am

Shamora wrote:If anything you might be able to sell it at a stupid high price to collectors.

Collectors are crazy. It sold within the day for 1000g. Whoop.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 am

amh wrote:
Shamora wrote:If anything you might be able to sell it at a stupid high price to collectors.

Collectors are crazy. It sold within the day for 1000g. Whoop.

That's like the analysis I read about the ZG Polymorph:Turtle book. It basically said that if you sell faster than you can farm it, you're selling it too cheaply. Thus, 2k is too cheap, 5k is closer, or some crazy shit like that. (: Clearly YMMV though, as when I looked at it my server had like 5 of the books on the AH, heh...
Kelaan

Postby sherck » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:14 am

What do people think about the viability of farming/buying cheap the mid-level raw mats now and holding them for when Cata goes live? Lots of Worgen will be powerleveling professions and there will be tons of profession rerolls as they follow the new FotM. I think the first two weeks could see some crazy prices on these mats in addition to the crazy prices on the Cata mats.

Opinions on whether the upper part of the Old World (Mithril / Thorium / Sungrass / Plaguebloom ) mats would be more in demand or if Outlands mats will be in demand?

My wonder is that if the new questing areas are right next to the Old World upper level areas is that everyone will just hop over to farm the mats rather than pay stupid high prices but many may balk at the "time waste" of going to Outlands to farm them.

Also, how about stockpiling Wrath mats because many will be "dumping" them just prior to Cata. Or are those obvious enought that someone who wants to create a Worgen will stockpile those but not the TBC / upper Old World ones.

Mining, Herb, buying up gems, buying up Enchanting mats. 30 stacks of each? 100 stacks of each?

Opinions?

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Chunes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 am

@ Sherk

I am considering doing the same thing. My focus will likely be old world and outland ores, but i'm reluctant to center my stockpile (stokpile eh?) strategy based on the current "level X profession" guides due to the changes to leveling profs they've mentioned.

It sounds like the route to a capped profession may look a little different in cata than it does now, but surely there will always be a need for the raw gathered materials.

Makes me realize just how many bags/bank slots/gbank slots i'm really going to need for this...
Chunes

Postby daemonym » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:06 pm

sherck wrote:
Also, how about stockpiling Wrath mats because many will be "dumping" them just prior to Cata. Or are those obvious enought that someone who wants to create a Worgen will stockpile those but not the TBC / upper Old World ones.

Mining, Herb, buying up gems, buying up Enchanting mats. 30 stacks of each? 100 stacks of each?

Opinions?

Cheers,

I would, but if you're doing this for the potential resale you'll have to have a decent amount of gold to throw around and a good dose of patience. When wrath released, two months prior you couldn't even give away arcane dust, now it sells for 50g/stack every single day. For the people leveling professions, ESPECIALLY enchanting, they'll be buying it all up.

The thing about enchanting is that you can't really "farm the mats" outside of questing on an enchanter that's of proper skill to DE the rewards. And even then, not every quest gives green rewards or anything at all minus gold so everybody will just go to the AH to level it up. So if you can afford to buy a ton of it when the prices plummet and can afford to wait a month or three, you can easily triple your investment.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby hoho » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:43 am

One problem with stockpiling old-world stuff to sell to new chars is that many of those new chars will be gathering stuff during leveling too so it's likely the supply for those will increase. Though question is if the increase is big enough to make stockpiling worthless or not. My guess is you'll still earn a whole bunch of gold through selling old stuff, just perhaps not as much as you'd think.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby rodos » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:11 am

I think any kind of expansion-related speculation is very risky. For instance, what if Blizzard made a late decision to remove the "previous tier" requirement for creating enchanting rods, or removed them entirely? The market for arcanite and primal might would evaporate.

What's more, there are always second-order effects created by other speculators. Many times I've seen a patch note that points to a certain mat becoming more valuable. However, so many people read this and stockpile that material "to make a killing" that come patch day the price actually crashes as everyone tries to sell their stockpile.
rodos

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:53 am

I would be very careful about stockpiling wotlk enchanting mats.
The situation is entirely different from tbc.

It's likely that with the massive gear jump it will be possible to solo naxx 10 man.
And unlike in tbc you can turn abyss crystals into enchanting mats for levelling using abyssal shatter.

It might not take care of all demand, but it's not the same situation as in tbc where planar essences are only available from disenchanting greens which are not trivial to farm.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:43 am

Blizzard has also mentioned that they're slightly revamping the profession leveling model so that you get more skill points for more "difficult" items. It wouldn't surprise me it ultimately resulted in less materials being required to level, especially at "choke" points.
Jasari

Postby Korola » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:24 am

I farmed 80 stacks of cobalt ore two weeks ago. Banked the eternals and gems.
(one guild bank tab)
I farmed 80 stacks of saronite ore last week. Banked the eternals and gems.
(another guild bank tab)
This week it is borean leather.

Going to start working my way down the expansions. The race to level cap leaves so many people without time to farm mats and they are likely to burn all that 'extra' gold from wrath dailies rather than wait.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 am

Korola wrote:The race to level cap leaves so many people without time to farm mats and they are likely to burn all that 'extra' gold from wrath dailies rather than wait.

The same goes for the professions skill cap, ESPECIALLY with achievements being in place for 'server first black smith' and such. That means that people will be even more willing to shell out massive amounts of gold ot be first. Granted you can have serious potential to have a huge monopoly by getting a crafting prof up there first, but the sheer amount of gold you can make leads me to recommend waiting on leveling your profs up to cata levels.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Shoju » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 am

My goal for cata boom is simple. I'm going to empty my guild bank, and fill it to the brim with ore and stone. Worst Case Scenario: No one buys it, and I level Smithing on a toon.
Shoju

Postby Chunes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:46 am

Shoju wrote:My goal for cata boom is simple. I'm going to empty my guild bank, and fill it to the brim with ore and stone. Worst Case Scenario: No one buys it, and I level Smithing on a toon.

I'm honestly considering doing the same. BS is one of those professions that I always tried to level on my warrior alt, but sadly never could since I always ended up aborting them at around level 26 or so.
Chunes

Postby sahiel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Ore and Herbs are always a pretty safe bet, 2 professions use herbs and 3 use ore, as opposed to skins and enchanting mats which are only used for one. If they do reduce the amount of mats required you still have 2 or 3 markets worth of buyers and, at a guess, a lot of goblins (as in the race, not the AH campers) will be leveling up Alchemy with their excellent racial bonuses (at present).
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 pm

sahiel wrote:Ore and Herbs are always a pretty safe bet, 2 professions use herbs and 3 use ore, as opposed to skins and enchanting mats which are only used for one. If they do reduce the amount of mats required you still have 2 or 3 markets worth of buyers and, at a guess, a lot of goblins (as in the race, not the AH campers) will be leveling up Alchemy with their excellent racial bonuses (at present).
On that note I'd actually think your best bet is to not go for the 'highest tier' of each expansions materials. The reason for that is fairly simple if you look at how Blizzard choose to release new recipes in WotLK, for all the professions the earlier recipes start not at 375 skill, but at 350 skill, 25 skill below that, which means most of your gains will be from the earlier material as people will likely need to get to 425 skill to get to the Cataclysm recipes.

If you take a look at Blacksmithing checking those numbers, you'll note that the 350-400 range is doable purely with Cobalt. After 400 Saronite starts taking over as the material of choice, though a few early items require a mix of Saronite and Cobalt to make at that point. In any case, two thirds of the professions leveling required for the WotLK level makes use of the lower tier of material. The same is true for most of the other professions.

Since I believe it's been mentioned that there'll be some revisions to profession leveling, there is a possibility that there'll also be recipes using TBC materials starting from 275 skill, instead of the current 300 skill. This is especially likely since most professions tend to have a bit of a peak in the difficulty to level at that point, before becoming a lot simpler again once you reach 300 skill; you can actually see this in effect now on most servers by the prices of the higher end classic materials compared to other 'obsolete' crafting materials. At any rate that would affect the prices of both Fel Iron and Thorium (And their equivalents for other professions) once the expansion releases.
Chicken

PreviousNext

Return to General