Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Making Gold on the AH

Postby smiter » Thu May 20, 2010 3:41 pm

How are your markets on your realms? Is buying low priced entry level raid gear items and flipping them common? I was initially not going to buy any gear for my hunter (alt at 78) which got me thinking there was no market for them...but then I figured what the heck I got the gold why not get it if reasonably priced so I can get geared enough for random heroics as fast as possible to avoid hours and hours or waiting in que for normal level 5-mans. So if I decided to spend the money on an alt like this I am sure I am not the only one and perhaps flipping these items makes sense and can lead to some big profits...

I have been wracking up a few hundred gold a day on selling eternal belt buckles as my main is a Bsmith and market for those is down to me and one other player currently. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this but a few thousand start up cash to risk wouldn't kill me.

all in all I have about 8K gold on my toons, My main is very well geared so I don't have any money I need to spend on him and the BOE drops he needs are way too expensive for me right now.

Thoughts?
smiter

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby daemonym » Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Make some TBC enchanting rods and titanium rods along with some weapon chains, they work very well for me. Scroll through my blog, I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile to use with one of your professions. Also selling a select few ToC epics (anything plate really) is great profit if you can be patient in buying the mats at a good price.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby smiter » Thu May 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I will def check out the blog once I am out of work and have full internet rights haha...

I actually do not have any of the Toc Craftable recipes or any ICC ones either...

Do you think spending some gold on primordial saronites to buy ICC blacksmith patterns would pay itself back?
smiter

Postby Levantine » Thu May 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Daemonym, plz teach me how to maek goldz. D:

I'm so bored of having *just enough* to get by. i.e. raiding consumables when I raid, gems and enchants for gear and flasks pretty much.

Stupid Caelestrasz and Aerie Peak having economies that refuse to let me understand them.
Levantine

Postby Fanazavana » Thu May 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Behold this thread, the answer to all of your questions.

On that note, lately absolutely no mid- to high-level herbs are selling for anything under 20g a stack on my server. It's killing my scribe work.
Fanazavana

Postby sahiel » Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 am

Daemonym mentions it in one of his blog posts but something that I've been making insane amounts of gold off over the last few months that no-one else seems to even try and sell is twink enchants. Bracers, boots, gloves, weapons, anything from vanilla wow with no level restrictions, most of it costs very little to buy mats for (many are under 5g for all I need to write a scroll of it on my server)...yet they sell for 75-100g+ for armour enchants and as much as 500g+ for the weapon enchants.

Whilst nowhere near Daemonyms million+, i've made a solid 250k having fun with the AH and a significant portion of that is from twink enchants, well worth a look for anyone with an enchanter imo.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby vertinog » Fri May 21, 2010 5:28 am

I think I have recently made the mistake of jumping into a market on my server before I did any research on who the "top" dogs are. Following Daemonym's blog posts about inscription and how to setup quick auction I have been able to make around 50g a day off of inscription, with a lot of reposting. Currently people are selling Glyphs for less then 1g though which is way under the cost to make. I also am not at 450 inscription yet (350ish right now) and leveling it on my DK while he levels.

The problem with my server is that most of the people that post things on the AH camp it and undercut within a half hour. My play time limits when I can post auctions so I tend to just get what I get.
vertinog

Postby Skye1013 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:07 am

sahiel wrote:Daemonym mentions it in one of his blog posts but something that I've been making insane amounts of gold off over the last few months that no-one else seems to even try and sell is twink enchants. Bracers, boots, gloves, weapons, anything from vanilla wow with no level restrictions, most of it costs very little to buy mats for (many are under 5g for all I need to write a scroll of it on my server)...yet they sell for 75-100g+ for armour enchants and as much as 500g+ for the weapon enchants.

Been doing this with my priest, working on making monies for her epic flying. Crusader enchant was selling for ~200g each, with the mats costing 50g or less (depends on the price of the orbs at the time). Though recently it's dropped to ~100g each, still a profit, but not nearly as much. One of the best/worst things about enchanting scrolls, is (so far) none have had a posting cost, just the AH cut when it sells.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Fri May 21, 2010 2:04 pm

vertinog wrote:I think I have recently made the mistake of jumping into a market on my server before I did any research on who the "top" dogs are. Following Daemonym's blog posts about inscription and how to setup quick auction I have been able to make around 50g a day off of inscription, with a lot of reposting. Currently people are selling Glyphs for less then 1g though which is way under the cost to make. I also am not at 450 inscription yet (350ish right now) and leveling it on my DK while he levels.

The problem with my server is that most of the people that post things on the AH camp it and undercut within a half hour. My play time limits when I can post auctions so I tend to just get what I get.

Bolded the problem. With glyphs you need to know like 90% of the recipes through books and daily research. The trainers only teach you a select few that are profitable in addition to the 3 recipes that are sold in dalaran. Glyphs are all about quantity of sales, not the quality. I didn't start really making money on glyphs with my priest until they were almost done with outland so don't be too put off right away. You have barely even scratched the surface of the glyph industry.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby Aanar » Fri May 21, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm currently making about 4k profit a week from glyphs, 3k profit on enchant scrolls (mostly just the high end level 80 ones), and 100g / day from xmuting an epic gem.

I used to pull about 10k a week from glyphs, but it was just taking up too much time, so I dropped from posting all 345 glyphs to only the ~120 that sell the most. That and I made enough of each so I don't have to cancel to repost, just hit the post again and any that were undercut get a fresh one posted. That cut my posting time from 30 min to 5, which really helps the gold/hr #. Anyway, if you're starting out (before northred research and books), minor glyphs are probably your best oppurtunity. You can possibly get profitable minor glyphs even if you're only level 20 heh. Judgement is about the only major glyph that's trainer learned that I've found that sells enough and for a high enough price to bother with.

For enchant scrolls on my server they mostly get listed cloes to mat cost. But even if I don't post at the lowest price I still sell quite a few since nobody posts very deep. Especailly on nights that are heavy for raiding like Tuesday, enchants often sell out. I'd post more than 1 of each, but they tie up so much capital (3k in scroll inventory and about 2k in mats) and I expect as the end of the expansion gets closer, that enchant mats will slide/plument in value and don't want to be sitting on a pile of them. I'm thinking I should probably just shut it down within a couple weeks of Ruby Sanctum.

Thanks for the tip on twink enchants though, I expect demand for them will be strong for the rest of wotlk and heading into caty. I'll have to look into them.
Aanar

Postby Teranoid » Fri May 21, 2010 2:45 pm

When I was on Spinebreaker horde you could practically sell anything. The server was progressed enough and populated enough to the point where I would pull in 10k gold a day doing mundane things like gem xmutes (having two transmute specced alchemists will make you a fortune), belt buckles/chains and prospecting (although titanium is a risk due to the fact its usually all or nothing and if you get like 1 epic gem you were out like 150 gold at the time per stack).

Aerie Peak alliance is almost the polar opposite. When I levelled my druid over here anything old world sold. Ore, cloth, herbs (for ridiculous prices) however the minute I hit hellfire.. its pretty much get what you need and forget the rest.

I have no idea how you people make a fortune off glyphs.. I have it on my mage and in the few weeks I actively tried to turn a profit it almost ended up not being worth my time even farming my own mats.

As Lev said you have to take the time to watch trends as to what sells and what doesn't. Unfortunately the time of people listing Netherweave stacks for less than it costs to make them into bandages/vendor for an easy profit is long gone and you actually have to do your research :\
Teranoid

Postby daemonym » Fri May 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Teranoid wrote: Unfortunately the time of people listing Netherweave stacks for less than it costs to make them into bandages/vendor for an easy profit is replaced with turning the cloth into bags.

Fix't for joo!

As for people making a killing on glyphs, these are the people that have every glyph recipe and enough mats to make a hundred of every glyph all at once. There's most likely only 4 major glyph suppliers on any server and they're one of them. It takes a good amount of AH pvp to get a significant hold on the glyph market, but if you do you're set.

EDIT: As always, feel free to send me a PM or something if you have any specific questions.

daemonym

Postby Pizbit » Fri May 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Me and a mate re-rolled a horde toon on another server and, woa, we've been bowled down by the insane prices.
It's *awesome*!
80g per stack of mithril? Rightyo! Bit of work on a DK he and we both had dual spec by 40, I made 300g just leveling herbalism to 180, finished to 300 today and listed everything.
I knew prices could vary per server but I didn't think by this much, so if you're having issues in a area mentioned here, look at other products to sell. It helps a lot to look at things from a leveling perspective.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby yappo » Sat May 22, 2010 9:30 am

Pizbit wrote:Me and a mate re-rolled a horde toon on another server and, woa, we've been bowled down by the insane prices.
It's *awesome*!
80g per stack of mithril? Rightyo! Bit of work on a DK he and we both had dual spec by 40, I made 300g just leveling herbalism to 180, finished to 300 today and listed everything.
I knew prices could vary per server but I didn't think by this much, so if you're having issues in a area mentioned here, look at other products to sell. It helps a lot to look at things from a leveling perspective.

When the server population goes down below a certain level the market becomes very strange. Basically people (and I mean those who don't SUPPLY stuff to the AH) start making more money than they can shop for. Not because things are cheap, but because they're simply not available at all.

You want to craft some cute boots -- farm the mats.
Want to level a prof -- farm the mats.

From time to time someone starts grinding mats (level of mats matter surprisingly little) and dump it on the AH, and they're shocked by the fortune they make from selling it. Eventually they become as lethargic as everyone else, and one supplier of mats vanish from the market.

What these servers lack is severe botting, primarily because the total market for gold-selling is insufficient, and hence you don't have the infinite supply of mats on the AH.

After all, you don't REALLY believe a PLAYER sells 300+ infinite dust + 20 stacks of Adder's Tongue DAILY at crap costs because it's so fun grinding?
yappo

Postby Pizbit » Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Strange thing is, I don't think this server is a low population one, during the day orgimmar is crowded and we've seen a LOT of other players leveling as well, all alts with BoA. Just checked the server list and the population is labeled "High".

Despite this prices for pre-wotlk items seem to be 2-4x or more than my main's server.

You're no doubt right about people getting lethargic about farming, it happens to everyone and does depends on how much gold they get for their effort. The best I can come up with is that there just isn't many of the usual people on servers that try to corner the pre-wotlk materials market or a strong imbalance towards crafting rather than gathering profs.

Meanwhile I'm happy to take their 60-80g per stack of herbs I gather as I level.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Next

Return to General