How to make Gold as a tank?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Njall wrote:Yep. I usually get about 20gp per person. Works for my healer too. It helps to have an amusing /trade advert - I get a fair number of 'that's funny' posts and few remarks of derision probably because of it.

I thought about doing that, but figured if it took me 15 minutes of combined advertising and stuffing about getting the group sorted, I could have completed a random and made more from it.

Takes me <5 min. I take 1-2 people, always DPS, sometimes more. First come, first served. They're paying me to not wait, afterall.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:55 pm

I bet that on populated servers, there are SOME dps willing to pay for a faster queue. 20g/instance per person not too shabby. You could likely get 2-3 instances/hour, which means ~50g/hour per person who is paying. That, on top of emblems->gems, doesn't sound too shabby.

Now if only I could do that on my [poorly geared ;)] DK so he can get a tanking suit too... ;)
Kelaan

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Kelaan wrote:I bet that on populated servers, there are SOME dps willing to pay for a faster queue. 20g/instance per person not too shabby. You could likely get 2-3 instances/hour, which means ~50g/hour per person who is paying. That, on top of emblems->gems, doesn't sound too shabby.

Now if only I could do that on my [poorly geared ;)] DK so he can get a tanking suit too... ;)

Quite a few, actually. I was surprised, to be honest. Particular the 'casuals' who don't want to wait around during their all-too-brief online time. It may not sound like a lot but it all adds up. And often I'll get people who say "Can you invite me on the next go-round" and, of course, I'll invite them as soon as I get back from the "Safari" I am currently on.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Kelaan wrote:I bet that on populated servers, there are SOME dps willing to pay for a faster queue. 20g/instance per person not too shabby. You could likely get 2-3 instances/hour, which means ~50g/hour per person who is paying. That, on top of emblems->gems, doesn't sound too shabby.

also realize that if you're charging 20g... and they're doing their first daily - they are actually making gold - they get over 20g for their first daily, and another 13 for each after that... makes perfect sense to me
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:10 pm

phaqueue wrote:
also realize that if you're charging 20g... and they're doing their first daily - they are actually making gold - they get over 20g for their first daily, and another 13 for each after that... makes perfect sense to me

And, of course, its on a per-heroic basis. :D

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 pm

phaqueue wrote:also realize that if you're charging 20g... and they're doing their first daily - they are actually making gold - they get over 20g for their first daily, and another 13 for each after that... makes perfect sense to me

Consider mob drops and they clear more than 20g for the run regardless.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Thornir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Discus wrote:Well another how to make Gold thread has descended into an ego battle even faster than usual - must be something about Gold making threads.

Maybe close thread?

I could do without the "omg opportunity cost!" "No U don't understand!" back and forth, but these threads help answer questions that I genuinely have. I suck at making money, and the "sure fire" things I've read about are ones that either require constant AH attention (which I can't do due to playtime restrictions and only one game account) or are very server-economy-dependent (my server's glyph market is already goblinized thoroughly).

I really am thankful for Phaeque's and others' responses to genuine questions. Perhaps, rather than closing this thread, we can make a subforum of General Strategies, or something, about "post your gold making crap here"? Hell, it could be in the Asylum for all I care.

I second this motion.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 pm

Koatanga wrote:
phaqueue wrote:also realize that if you're charging 20g... and they're doing their first daily - they are actually making gold - they get over 20g for their first daily, and another 13 for each after that... makes perfect sense to me

Consider mob drops and they clear more than 20g for the run regardless.

FWIW, I have repeat business. I think part of my stock in trade is I'm a good tank. :D

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Njall wrote:FWIW, I have repeat business. I think part of my stock in trade is I'm a good tank. :D

(:
Would you consider sharing the pitch you use? I've never done this before but it's somewhat tempting. Farming heroics then is 75g/instance, times however fast you can do them, per hour .... so, ~220 g/hour, if I'm conservative (?), plus whatever you value badges at. (I can get heirloom gear or gems, at least.)
Kelaan

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Njall wrote:FWIW, I have repeat business. I think part of my stock in trade is I'm a good tank. :D

(:
Would you consider sharing the pitch you use? I've never done this before but it's somewhat tempting. Farming heroics then is 75g/instance, times however fast you can do them, per hour .... so, ~220 g/hour, if I'm conservative (?), plus whatever you value badges at. (I can get heirloom gear or gems, at least.)

Oh come up with something personable and vaguely amusing like a tour guide service or a cruise line. Your trips leave at X and you cost Y. You could also mention you're an experienced and tough-as-nails tour guide. Be at a reasonable location like Runeweaver Square or the Terrace of Lights in Shattrath (I am often found there due to lag issues) and be prompt. You're providing a service afterall. And whatever you do, don't try any of the prima dona crap like some mentioned in the PuG and LFG threads. You're after repeat business, afterall. That said, I do have an ignore list of people I shan't tank for in the future.

And have a thick skin. You will get jerkoffs amusing themselves at your expense. And it depends on your server environment - you may not get folks interest or you may suddenly have 20 guys undercutting you.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:38 pm

It's an interesting idea, and I really don't care how much they want to goof off as long as I have one other person in the party who isn't being stupid (preferably the healer). I can duo a lot of heroics, and can probably solo some. Anyone in one of my groups is pretty much in for a free ride.
Koatanga

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Koatanga wrote:It's an interesting idea, and I really don't care how much they want to goof off as long as I have one other person in the party who isn't being stupid (preferably the healer). I can duo a lot of heroics, and can probably solo some. Anyone in one of my groups is pretty much in for a free ride.

If you prove that to them, then they'll be back - and quite possibly tell others. Be a douche about how wonderful you are and they won't - and are even more likely to tell others. Just saying. That said, there have been a few tourists who have gone out of their way to be tools and since they are paying the freight, had a somewhat inflated sense of entitlement. But hey, I don't seem them anymore and my tour bus is full enough to keep me happy.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:07 pm

I run randoms all the time - for myself and for my all my wife's toons. I think I've pretty much seen it all. I don't care how people play because I know I can carry the group if it came to that. But I also don't lord that over anyone - I am just here to run through and collect my goodies and say "thanks all" at the end of it.

I don't want to be treated like the hired help, but I don't require people to genuflect after every pull even though, as Uther said it, "You may be the prince, but I'm still your superior as a paladin."
Koatanga

Postby Digren » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Kelaan wrote:Also, I saw a Visio chart a long time back of someone's profit plan for milling->inks->vellums->$$$; I'd love it if anyone already has this somewhere and would be willing to share it again.

I do those on my old laptop since I switched to Mac a few years ago, and alas my wife has it with her on a family trip. I just have the paper copy in front of me. :D

I'm done making money in WotLK, since I have already bought absolutely everything I want plus saved my target (40k) for Cataclysm. At this point I check AHs when I'm bored, buy at half my old buy prices (which means I buy less mats less often, but make more money when I bother), and dropped anything that I personally didn't enjoy despite its return. I can dig up and post my old graphs if those things are all still profitable.
Digren

Postby Talderas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 am

Njall wrote:
Koatanga wrote:It's an interesting idea, and I really don't care how much they want to goof off as long as I have one other person in the party who isn't being stupid (preferably the healer). I can duo a lot of heroics, and can probably solo some. Anyone in one of my groups is pretty much in for a free ride.

If you prove that to them, then they'll be back - and quite possibly tell others. Be a douche about how wonderful you are and they won't - and are even more likely to tell others. Just saying. That said, there have been a few tourists who have gone out of their way to be tools and since they are paying the freight, had a somewhat inflated sense of entitlement. But hey, I don't seem them anymore and my tour bus is full enough to keep me happy.

I sell fast queues for 20g a person. Get the people. I queue as tank. Queue pops. I leave. They have to wait a paltry amount of time for a new tank that beats the hell out of waiting for the queue to pop for them single queuing as DPS. I may not get as many people wanting to buy my service, but I don't care since I'm not spending the time running heroics I don't want.

Something that I think might be able to accrue a decent amount of gold.... sell tanking services for NORMAL Trial of the Champion/Forge of Souls/Pit of Saron/Halls of Reflection. A lot of people want the trinkets out of ToC, but everyone is queuing for random Heroics. Since those instances are lv80 only you don't get leveling characters that are able to queue for it.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

PreviousNext

Return to General