How to make Gold as a tank?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Zpectro » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:50 am

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but just sell your services as a tank for heroics/raids in trade channel :p
Zpectro

Postby daemonym » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:58 am

phaqueue wrote:First, auctioneer has been crashing my game due to an interaction between itself and QA3, so I needed another option.

I had this issue as well in a way. I would be getting severe auction lag when I'd mouse over an item I'll lock up for 30 seconds. Go to do a scan and lock up for a minute before anything happens. Here's a macro I use every other day to make sure this doesn't happen. It's because of auctioneer's data building up too much and having to cycle through it when it is called up and basically you need to clear it all out.

Close the auction window.
Mouse over an item.
type this command:
/run AucScanData.scans=nil

then type:
/reload ui

and there ya go, no more auctioneer lag. I'll be looking into auctionator, but does it allow you to have a trade skill window AND the ah window open at the same time? can I double click or something of that fashion to buy out an auction or bid on one?
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby amh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 am

daemonym wrote:but does it allow you to have a trade skill window AND the ah window open at the same time?

Yes.

can I double click or something of that fashion to buy out an auction or bid on one?

Haven't found a way to do that with auctionator, think they forgot to add it. Might have to get a light addon just for that purpose (something like this: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... /ocbo.aspx ).
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Fanazavana » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:34 pm

So after browsing this thread, am I to understand the best way to make gold is to play the AH?

In questing around Grizzly Hills the other day, I found I made around 800 gold in a few hours of just playing. QuestHelper made it pretty easy. How does that compare to those of you who sit in Ironforge and buy low while selling high?

I ask because I only want money for

A.) Raiding consumables

B.) Gems and enchants for new gear

C.) The Pillars of Might and Boots of Kingly Upheaval (assuming the price of primordial saronite ever gets below 1500g on my server).

Thanks in advance.
Fanazavana

Postby Koatanga » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Questing is a great source of cash, but it is a finite one. You can't quest for several hours in Grizzly Hills every day because you can't repeat the quests. So maybe next day it's Icecrown, then Sholazar, or whatever, but soon enough you will run out of quests.

AH cash is never-ending. Do the same thing every day and you make money at it every day. No matter how small the margin, and infinite market will always beat a finite one, eventually.

I discovered a nice one on my baby hordie recently. Copper bars = 20g/stack, tin bars = 20g/stack, bronze bars = 40g/stack. To smelt bronze you need 1 copper and 1 tin, but the trick is that you get 2 bronze from it. So 20g + 20g = 80g worth of marketable goodness. Your server/faction economy may vary.

Those newbie markets are pretty good because people don't do a lot of gathering now that they can level pretty much exclusively through instances and PvP. They are also good because true newbies don't know how to exploit them, so you can find the raw materials quite cheap.

People want those materials to back-train engineering or blacksmithing, and at max level the gold to level the professions off AH is available.

Out of habit, I always pick gathering professions while leveling and change to proper professions once I hit max level. In this case, however, he's intended as a tank, so I can keep the mining for the stam boost, and the enchanting (yes, it is a gathering profession) is also good in endgame.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby amh » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Fanazavana wrote:So after browsing this thread

I like this thead! I'm glad someone else bumped it for once.

How does that compare to those of you who sit in Ironforge and buy low while selling high?

I know there are those that buy and relist expensive stuff for quick, big profits, but that's not the game for me. I'm too much of a wuss to risk / tie up my gold like that. At most I'm out a couple of thousand at any given point, in other words: extremely low-risk.

I make roughly 1000g (profit, not turnover) a day, 45-60 minutes worth of time. As Koatanga said, sooner or later you'll run out of quests and alts. The AH isn't an endless source of income, however. You will at some point exhaust a market, it's hard to force people to buy shit. Having lots of professions and alts will help considerably.

I'm only making money on inscription and enchanting, but as you can see, those two are pretty profitable. Your mileage may vary. Some servers are cramped with big-shots that either camp till their fingers bleed, or squeeze you out with their tight profit margins. I've been lucky, there are few serious competitors here.

Which professions do you have availble to you? I see your enchanting is low, so that's a no for now. You should definitely get it to somewhere above 400. Lots of cheap-to-make enchants you can make money on.

Got a death knight? Got inscription? If not, get! It's the only crafting-profession I know of that will fully finance itself. Buy all the Northrend-herbs you can find for less than 50s a piece. Have a guildie scribe mill it and turn it into ink. You'll need roughly five hundred inks (six hundred if you want to safe it). This guide is all right. Note that you'll spend more inks this way than if you were to mill the herbs yourself, since you won't get skillups for doing so. Saves you a few hours, though. Make an overview of how many inks of each tier you'll need, according to the guide. Buy a few extra for each. Buy parchments accordingly.

Head to Borean Tundra, find inscription trainer, enjoy 1-400 in less than an hour. The best part is, as long as you don't panic and sell your glyphs off for 10s, the majority of those rubbish glyphs you made to level up your profession can be sold for 3g+. You've just made profit from something that, in any other profession, would have cost you time or money.

If you're interested in the glyph market, take a poke at Daemonym's blog. There's a lot of info to digest, but it's easy money once you get used to it. Dealing with such large quantities is horrible without proper tools, so QA3 and auctionator / auctioneer.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:01 am

Koatanga wrote:I discovered a nice one on my baby hordie recently. Copper bars = 20g/stack, tin bars = 20g/stack, bronze bars = 40g/stack. To smelt bronze you need 1 copper and 1 tin, but the trick is that you get 2 bronze from it. So 20g + 20g = 80g worth of marketable goodness. Your server/faction economy may vary.

While leveling my shammy I did this quite a bit while I was picking up tin galore in the tarren mill area. The only problem I found is that the market can get insanely flooded for a week at a time out of nowhere from somebody else leveling up mining. Normally you can just buy them out and relist it for a quick profit, but the profit margins get a bit too tight for such a small market that it usually isn't worth it. But if you catch it on a good day or just don't mind waiting, by all means go for it as it is indeed good money.

Out of habit, I always pick gathering professions while leveling and change to proper professions once I hit max level. In this case, however, he's intended as a tank, so I can keep the mining for the stam boost, and the enchanting (yes, it is a gathering profession) is also good in endgame.

You should always always always take a gathering profession while leveling an alt. Even if you start flying the moment you hit outland and epic flying at 70 in northrend it's still worth it. The main reason being if it's mining/herbing chances are you'll be questing around several node spawns more often than most would guess. If you're a skinner (which I recommend) the work is always being done for you. All you have to do is just loot the mob you had to kill a moment ago for the quest you are doing. And with there always being sudden shortages and high demand for old world mats...it's rather lucrative.

-------------

On the subject of questing for gold...don't do it. Seriously it's terrible, even if you can DE the quest rewards it's horrid. I for one don't like questing when I'm just face rolling everything. The amount of gold you get questing per hour is a fraction of what you could be making by just smelting titansteel or crafting belt buckles. There's so many easy to do things with professions that will be triple the G/hour of questing.

Example: Buy 8 stacks of saronite and two stacks of eternal earth, water, shadow. If you can't afford this there's not much I can do to help. Turn them into buckles and sell them for 10g to 30g profit off each. That's 15 minutes of "work" that you don't even need to be around for that just got you 800 gold compared to a few hours of questing to get 800g. So while you're off questing eternally I'm enjoying a nice whiskey sour while watching cartoons and writing this post.

TL;DR: In no way is questing a good idea for making money to afford anything more than flasks for a pair of raid nights.

And lastly, I never recommend buying low and selling normal (not high) as it takes a good amount of experience with those sort of items that you'll be flipping to not take a bunch of big losses. I just suggest that you use your professions for more than stat bonuses.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Fanazavana » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks for the suggestions, daemonym and Koatanga and amh. I do have a rogue whose Herb skill is maxed out (thanks to a hacker, actually), so I'll pick up Inscription and get to work. I checked prices for low-level mats like cloth and ores and herbs, and nothing is worth my time to farm. Way too many lowbies/people with the same idea on my server, I guess.

I also should really level my enchanting, yeah. I have a bunch of low level enchanting mats from running lowbie dungeons... just need to get to work on those.

Thanks again for all the advice. Pillars of Might, here I come!
Fanazavana

Postby Koatanga » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Fanazavana wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, daemonym and Koatanga and amh. I do have a rogue whose Herb skill is maxed out (thanks to a hacker, actually), so I'll pick up Inscription and get to work. I checked prices for low-level mats like cloth and ores and herbs, and nothing is worth my time to farm. Way too many lowbies/people with the same idea on my server, I guess.

I also should really level my enchanting, yeah. I have a bunch of low level enchanting mats from running lowbie dungeons... just need to get to work on those.

Thanks again for all the advice. Pillars of Might, here I come!

Remember the ink trader. Northrend herbs can buy any lower ink (other than the special ones you don't need for levelling). Having someone mill Northrend herbs for you (as suggested earlier) can save you a truckload of gold and time.

You may think it costs gold to buy Northrend herbs instead of farming Golden Sansam or whatnot, but have you seen what those are worth to people levelling Alchemy? You'd be crazy not to sell the herbs and use the proceeds to buy Northrend ones.

If you want to farm Northrend herbs for milling, again have a look at the AH and see what those upper-mid-level alchemy herbs go for. Your time is much better spent farming things for 50g/stack than for 12g/stack. You can always buy the 12g stuff.
Koatanga

Postby True » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 pm

GDKP ICC25. They always need tanks...and if not, run as Ret or Holy.

In a typical 4-5 boss run of ICC25, I make 2000 - 2500 gold depending on what drops. And, I have a chance at better loot.

GDKP TOC25 runs can net around 1000 gold per run. And you never know when that trinket you want will drop.
True

Postby Koatanga » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:31 pm

True wrote:GDKP ICC25. They always need tanks...and if not, run as Ret or Holy.

In a typical 4-5 boss run of ICC25, I make 2000 - 2500 gold depending on what drops. And, I have a chance at better loot.

GDKP TOC25 runs can net around 1000 gold per run. And you never know when that trinket you want will drop.

Yeah, these are good too. Thought I was going to get about 100g last time but a trinket dropped off Anub that sold for 26k.
Koatanga

Postby Fanazavana » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 am

Can you explain how this works? I saw a guild advertise for one last night and they said participants would need to bring 10,000G to the run. What is that for?
Fanazavana

Postby Thornir » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Fanazavana wrote:

Can you explain how this works? I saw a guild advertise for one last night and they said participants would need to bring 10,000G to the run. What is that for?

In a few words:

GDKP is like a DKP run, but instead of bidding DKP points, you bid gold. Highest bidder wins. Gold is betted on everything; patterns, orbs, etc. You want it, bid. All the gold goes to a "pot" ; at the end of the raid, the "pot" is split among everyone who raided; so you get a good chunk of gold even if you wanted nothing (see above).
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Fanazavana » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks for explaining. I found a thread discussing it, as well. Sounds like the raid needs to be geared enough to fairly easily roll through the content. Maybe I'll join the next one I see to check it out.
Fanazavana

Postby Mozen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:05 pm

I made most of my gold via GDKP raids. Back in Naxx, I started with about 3000g on me, even with actively bidding for gear, I ended up with over 10k gold and full BiS gear just before Ulduar went live. Our regular GDKP raid had a core group of raiders and pugs about 8-10 people each week. We even had tank and healer salary (each tank and healer get 100G extra out of the pot each run), and designated bosses had total damage bonuses for the three DPS who did the most damage on the boss.

GDKP raids don't necessarily need to finish the whole instance. For example on our realm, there are one or two ICC25 GDKP raids that can farm up to the Lich King, then there are plenty others that just do the Lower Spire (with heroic Gunship Battle). To prevent people coming just for the ride, most GDKP raids set down a minimum DPS requirement before one is allowed to get a share of the pot.

Popular GDKP raids (pugged) on our realm:
* ICC25 Lower Spire as mentioned above.
* TOC25 has a lot of alts trying to gear up quickly and coming to buy some fast 245 upgrades.
* Toravon 25, i.e. Vault of Archavon raids that only go for the Ice Watcher and bid on tier pieces.
* Sarth10+3D rush tactics, bidding on the mount.

Now that I'm back playing, though, I'm relying on epic gem transmutes since I started on a new server. It's really slow money but guaranteed profits. Every now and then I transmute some meta gems. Raw meta gems fluctuate quite widely. One week it's huge profits and another it's not even worth doing.

For someone starting fresh, the Argent Tournament dailies and epic transmutes are probably the best choice for now. Unless you really hate dailies. I wanted Crusader so I can spend my seals on heirloom items, and getting up to 300g a day won't hurt either.
Mozen

PreviousNext

Return to General