How to make Gold as a tank?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Flex wrote:Current: 10HK per kill WG daily rewards 10HKs worth of honor/100 honor
Patch: 20HK per kill WG weekly rewards 5 HKs/100 honor. Without the 50% reduction you would get 200 honor.

Ok, so the WG honor values are calculated in HKs, even though in the quest text it appears as a certain # of honor, correct?

Perhaps that is where the confusion started.. since it doesn't show the HKs.

In any event, we'll likely find out next Tuesday...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 pm

All honor values are calculated as HKs, actually. Capping a flag, turning in resources, completing quests etc.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Roots » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:36 pm

halabar wrote:
Njall wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:They're increasing the Honor gained from HKs to make it easier to get the Honor gear, and to encourage battleground participation. However, they also do not want to increase the Honor gains from Wintergrasp objectives.

In effect they keep the WG rewards constant, and increase everything else. The result is that everyone has more Honor, but WG is relatively less productive than it was before.

The result, they hope, is that people will go back to the BGs more often rather than flooding WG and half-crashing the server every two hours.

Well, this is what I thought they were saying, that the WG quests would reward less, but actual PVP would reward more.

So the WG quests reward HKs as well as straight honor currently?

I was under the impression that if I sit on a gun, and wind up being away from the action (the action at my server seems to be at the southern towers these days) that I would receive less honor, since I am not getting HKs in the process.

I get that impression too. It almost seems to encourage zerging mobs instead of fighting at less populated objectives
Roots

Postby Flex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:All honor values are calculated as HKs, actually. Capping a flag, turning in resources, completing quests etc.

Yup everything in PvP that gives honor is based on Honorable Kill honor values. Every objective in a BG, experience granted in battle grounds, every quest, etc. Since the value of the HK is going up but they're generally happy with the honor from non-HK sources they have to cut in half the honor granted by those. I'd say the biggest source of confusion was "no one" knew that was how the honor value for quests and objectives were calculated.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:08 pm

So in other words, they're making HK farming in AV a worse problem?.. :D

halabar

Postby amh » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:06 am

Anyone using Auctionator as opposed to Auctioneer? I made the swap today, and so far Auctionator is looking great. I never really mastered auctioneer, and this one is a bit more newb-friendly. I really like the posting mechanism, and especially the "check for undercuts"-function.

This dialogue appears after an undercut-scan:
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Amh, you can get the same undercut function from quick auction 3. I haven't used auctionator myself so I can't directly comment, but every function I want/need comes in qa3 and auctioneer. i use 1a3 for the majority of my posting and use auctioneer for easy buying, selling, and general interface controls. auctioneer also lets me scan only glyphs which i don't know how to do with other addons and it only takes 2 minutes to do.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby amh » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:59 pm

I had a look at it, but it seems too heavy for my use. I have so few auctions up at any given time that the full scan only takes a couple of minutes anyway. My financial empire is quite small since I transferred servers, lacking my epic JC and tailor for starters. Depending on guildies for transmutes / epic cuts / leatherworking, so barely any activity there.

Only running low<->medium profit @ low-risk stuff. My biggest investment has been the 1k I spent on various materials today, but I got most of it back within a couple of hours. Should start terrorizing the epic gem market within a few days. Managed to snatch 50-60 uncut rare gems for 3g each, brute-forced my JC up a bit. Even if i can't shift them, I'll still be able to vendor them and make a profit. \o\

Edit: QA does look amazing for posting auctions, I'll give you that. Just had a look at a tutorial for QA2 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBsmf_Ge14 ). If I was working on that scale, I definitely would've used it.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 pm

amh wrote:I had a look at it, but it seems too heavy for my use. I have so few auctions up at any given time that the full scan only takes a couple of minutes anyway. My financial empire is quite small since I transferred servers, lacking my epic JC and tailor for starters. Depending on guildies for transmutes / epic cuts / leatherworking, so barely any activity there.

Only running low<->medium profit @ low-risk stuff. My biggest investment has been the 1k I spent on various materials today, but I got most of it back within a couple of hours. Should start terrorizing the epic gem market within a few days. Managed to snatch 50-60 uncut rare gems for 3g each, brute-forced my JC up a bit. Even if i can't shift them, I'll still be able to vendor them and make a profit. \o\

Edit: QA does look amazing for posting auctions, I'll give you that. Just had a look at a tutorial for QA2 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBsmf_Ge14 ). If I was working on that scale, I definitely would've used it.

QA3 is an amazing addon for saving time on the AH, especially with markets that focus on a single thing but ltos of them liek gems or glyphs. I made a post on my blog about how to set it up which takes all of 10 minutes for general purpose stuff or about 1 minute for each individual item. I use it for posting any large groups such as cardinal rubies, glyphs, sky sapphires, etc. You can find it here, screen shots and all.

http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2010/01/qa-3-set-up.html
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby amh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:17 am

A few things I've been wondering about working the glyph market.

- Do you manually check which glyphs you should make according to current supply, or do you have any tools for it?
- How many do you create each day?
- How expensive herbs do you bother buying? There's a healthy supply of Adder's Tongue for 50s a piece every day on my server, which means I can sell glyphs fairly cheap and still make a (small) profit. Since I'm not mass producing, however, I generally only create the ones that are over 6g.

The leftover supply of Snowfall Ink is a bother getting rid of >.> Runescrolls are going for 3g99s each, but they sell extremely slowly.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:01 am

amh wrote:A few things I've been wondering about working the glyph market.

- Do you manually check which glyphs you should make according to current supply, or do you have any tools for it?
- How expensive herbs do you bother buying? There's a healthy supply of Adder's Tongue for 50s a piece every day on my server, which means I can sell glyphs fairly cheap and still make a (small) profit. Since I'm not mass producing, however, I generally only create the ones that are over 6g.

The leftover supply of Snowfall Ink is a bother getting rid of >.> Runescrolls are going for 3g99s each, but they sell extremely slowly.

Check your server, but there are likely too many in the market.

I just dumped herb/inscrip for Skin/LW on an alt because I got tired of the relisting and minimal profits (and I just never got in the groove with herbing, I'm more of a miner at heart).

I'm also getting skinning so when the expac hits I can sit in those zones where people are leveling and clean up after them, and clean up in the AH as well.. and there will be many many dragons to skin.. wasn't much skinning in ICC.

halabar

Postby daemonym » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 am

amh wrote:A few things I've been wondering about working the glyph market.

Yes and no. The manual part is me mousing over the glyph icon for the tooltip and reading it. Bagnon/altoholic tells me who has how many.

5 or normal glyphs, 10 of the popular ones.

up to 20g for stacks of good herbs and 15g for the rest.

Check my blog post tomorrow, I'll be going more in depth with this then.

daemonym

Postby amh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:32 am

halabar wrote:Check your server, but there are likely too many in the market.

I'm already in it, just trying to optimize a bit. Gathering isn't an issue for me, since I don't do it. :]

I'll take a look, Daemonym.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Get a room you two!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby phaqueue » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:03 pm

@ amh - do you use QA3? it has the summary, that's how I decide what to make - scan it shows all the glyphs in your bags/bank (doesn't count guild bank of course) and any you have on the AH, and the current price for each.

Also, I have been using auctionator over auctioneer for a while now - really liking it...

First, auctioneer has been crashing my game due to an interaction between itself and QA3, so I needed another option. Also, the buying UI for auctionator is wonderful - I really like the way it's laid out (there's a picture up higher) the part that picture doesn't show is that when you want to buy something - say all 30 full stacks of Icethorn, or all 300 single infinite dust someone posted... you click the item, click buy and type in the number you want - it will auto-purchase all the stacks for you - saving TONS of time - and the way it laid out saves some time paging through listings... I really like it...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

PreviousNext

Return to General