Remove Advertisements

How to make Gold as a tank?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Digren » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 am

I'm making Pet Bomblings right now, with mats costs from the AH around 25g each. I expect to sell them for 500g for the first week after the patch, with the price eventually settling around 50g (at which time I'll bail since 2x return is not worth my time for anything with complicated material needs).

I'm not making Lil' Smokeys just because of the hassles tracking and buying all these low-level mats. There's little overlap in mats between the two.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby amh » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 am

Vorianloken wrote:amh, I'm confused as to why I would make a macro to link myself my own trade skill... I must be missing something here >.>


You do it to have all your tradeskills available when you're on your banker. Shift-clicking (less typing!) through tradeskills while checking which markets on the AH need resupplying. Replying to WTB-requests in trade, stuff like that. As I said in the other post, it's pointless if you post auctions from the same character you're crafting with. :)
I used to play a paladin.
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Ah I get it. :)

I post auctions from my bank alt but I advertise trade skills on the crafters of course.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles, US

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby mazater » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:49 am

I don't know if this has been said already or not, since I didn't bother reading through all the 12 pages, but sell yourself.

Due to the Random Dungeon Queues being absurdly long for DPS'ers (15-20minute on Catalysm EU) people are willing to pay 50-100g to get instant Dungeon groups and a decent tank.

As a bonus, you get badges to buy epic gems with.
Not to mention greenies and Frozen Orbs, and if you're extremely luck, a hilt.

I've been occasionally selling my ass off ever since BC, good profit guaranteed assuming you just have the time and energy to run instances with randoms.

Just my 5c.
User avatar
mazater
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 am
Location: Winland

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 am

Also, it bears repeating.. find a niche, that you don't mind doing.

For me now it's bullets. I do some random mining when waiting for heroics and such, and turn the eternal earth into bullets (along with low-priced earths from the AH). The mining itself isn't that profitable, but it's something I can do brain-dead and I don't have to deal with trade chat.

So I make 500-600G/week from the bullets, with not much effort (my mining does supply other things, and it's really my afk time, so I don't see it as pure farming/grinding).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Njall » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:19 am

Yeah. Enjoyment (or at least something quickly done that's not too irritating) is important. I hate the JC dailies but now my JC (a dk tank) has the recipes needed for my characters and a few of the most commercially viable cuts.

Oh, and with 3.3 probably flooding the market with epic gems (and titansteel), I'm selling the cut gems and titansteel as fast as I make it. That said, I'm quietly stockpiling titanium bars - at least, whenever I find a bunch of Saronite ore below what I consider my 'cheap' break point. Sadly, there's very little margin on selling titanium bars - it is simply razor thin and the the amount of time spent smelting and then transmuting it is prohibitive to my sense of 'I do this for fun, right?'. Still, I've managed to pull in a few thousand in the past few weeks, despite my being on only an hour or so per day.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Playdoh » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Andox wrote:
cerwillis wrote:
Andox wrote:Buying five stacks of epic arrows/bullets for 9 g a stack, then putting them up in stacks of 100 arrows/bullets for 8 gold a stack. Sells really good before raids. Sure, it don't give me a huge income, but enough to pay repairs and buy flasks. I do this every day or so.

5 x 9 = 45 gold for buying five stacks
50 x 8 =400 gold for reselling them

355 g profit.


If you did this on my server, I'd faction transfer my rogue to stab you while you post auctions. This is also why i buy 2 stacks and then go check to see how many are in each stack. Dunno if its the blizzard interface or my auctioneer, but seeing 10... for the amount in the stack is really f'in annoying.


To make you even happier I can tell you that I don't only do this with ammo, but also with herbs, shards, ore, cloth and other items that the buyer expect to be in "standard stacks". I don't know if people are too lazy to push the arrow two times to get to the "real" stacks or if they are used to buy 1000 arrows. Tbh, I don't really care, it's very easy money for me so why should I stop? Not like I care about Legolasbg and if he felt robbed. Been doing this for ages now, it's so easy, just take five or so minutes and you earn great cash :twisted:


3.3 will finally put this sort of thing to rest. Of which I am happy about. sort by unit price for stacks makes me a happy person.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 am
Location: VA

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Arnock » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm assuming it's so you can see what you can make on a specific toon without being logged onto it.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby daemonym » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:32 am

Digren wrote:I'm making Pet Bomblings right now, with mats costs from the AH around 25g each. I expect to sell them for 500g for the first week after the patch, with the price eventually settling around 50g (at which time I'll bail since 2x return is not worth my time for anything with complicated material needs).

I'm not making Lil' Smokeys just because of the hassles tracking and buying all these low-level mats. There's little overlap in mats between the two.


I'm not positive, but you may have just wasted a ton of gold. When the patch comes, the pets you have made BEFORE 3.3.3 may very well be BoP still...just a heads up. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

But for me, I'm buying up all the mats for them I find, especially heart of fires and reselling them. I have a stock to make 20 of each pets and just sold several hearts for 50g each when I bought them for 35 silver. You might want to look into it.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
User avatar
daemonym
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: With Cats on Mars

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Njall » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:27 am

daemonym wrote:I'm not positive, but you may have just wasted a ton of gold. When the patch comes, the pets you have made BEFORE 3.3.3 may very well be BoP still...just a heads up. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.
[/qute]

That's why I've stock piled the mats. I did the same thing with Jeeves. I was selling Korium Power Cores for 200 gp and, much to my shock, I was getting 20 gp EACH for Scrapbots during the first week. Even fused wiring was going for 5-10 gp each.

But for me, I'm buying up all the mats for them I find, especially heart of fires and reselling them. I have a stock to make 20 of each pets and just sold several hearts for 50g each when I bought them for 35 silver. You might want to look into it.


Yep. And if you're leveling an alt anyway (like I am) sometimes things just drop your way.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:35 pm

If you do have a herbalist, look up the leveling guide for Alchemy. Compare the materials lists to the auction house.

If your server is anything like mine, there are some huge gaps in materials availability. In Alchemy, for example, the guide calls for a lot of Briarthorn, Sungrass, and Golden Sansam. There are typically very few of those available on AH.

Those three herbs mentioned can sell very well for 50g a stack or higher, which is between 3 and 5 times more than you can get for Northrend herbs on my server.

I suspect the lack of AH stock is due to people moving faster through zones because of the +experience BoA pieces and the LFG system making it easier to get low-level dungeons. I suspect that rather than being well ahead of the zone's herbs because you pick them as you go to and fro questing, people with herbalism are levelling ahead, then doing the minimal amount of back-herbing to catch up when they move to Outlands.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Vorianloken » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 am

Koatanga wrote:If you do have a herbalist, look up the leveling guide for Alchemy. Compare the materials lists to the auction house.

If your server is anything like mine, there are some huge gaps in materials availability. In Alchemy, for example, the guide calls for a lot of Briarthorn, Sungrass, and Golden Sansam. There are typically very few of those available on AH.

Those three herbs mentioned can sell very well for 50g a stack or higher, which is between 3 and 5 times more than you can get for Northrend herbs on my server.

I suspect the lack of AH stock is due to people moving faster through zones because of the +experience BoA pieces and the LFG system making it easier to get low-level dungeons. I suspect that rather than being well ahead of the zone's herbs because you pick them as you go to and fro questing, people with herbalism are levelling ahead, then doing the minimal amount of back-herbing to catch up when they move to Outlands.


Good suggestion! I usually herb on my druid, but only for the northrend herbs. I sell lichbloom for 40g a stack and icethorn for about 35-40g and frost lotus for 32-36g per. Decent monies :) As 4.0 nears I'm planning on stocking up lots of herbs, ore and leather skins and then sell it all off in the first month of cataclysm as people level their worgen toons and need all the gathering profession items to level their crafting professions :P
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Los Angeles, US

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Talderas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 am

Koatanga wrote:If you do have a herbalist, look up the leveling guide for Alchemy. Compare the materials lists to the auction house.

If your server is anything like mine, there are some huge gaps in materials availability. In Alchemy, for example, the guide calls for a lot of Briarthorn, Sungrass, and Golden Sansam. There are typically very few of those available on AH.


Taking advantage of the FotM crowd. I like.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
User avatar
Talderas
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 am
Location: BRbashi

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby bldavis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 am

amh wrote:
Vorianloken wrote:amh, I'm confused as to why I would make a macro to link myself my own trade skill... I must be missing something here >.>


You do it to have all your tradeskills available when you're on your banker. Shift-clicking (less typing!) through tradeskills while checking which markets on the AH need resupplying. Replying to WTB-requests in trade, stuff like that. As I said in the other post, it's pointless if you post auctions from the same character you're crafting with. :)


or you can just get altoholic :twisted:
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7347
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby amh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 am

bldavis wrote:
amh wrote:
Vorianloken wrote:amh, I'm confused as to why I would make a macro to link myself my own trade skill... I must be missing something here >.>


You do it to have all your tradeskills available when you're on your banker. Shift-clicking (less typing!) through tradeskills while checking which markets on the AH need resupplying. Replying to WTB-requests in trade, stuff like that. As I said in the other post, it's pointless if you post auctions from the same character you're crafting with. :)


or you can just get altoholic


I've considered it, but I don't think I really need it as long as I'm running Arkinventory (bag-addon: full acess to all character-banks and associated guild banks, with the amount of any given item displayed on tooltip regardless of which character said item is on). Let me see if I can dig up a screenshot to clarify.

Don't want to get saddled with more addons than I need, and I do need Arkinventory. Sorting items by self-made categories (herbs, enchanting-materials, tank gearsets, dps gearsets), a search-bar for highlighting stuff... I'm too much of a slob to know where I keep stuff.

Edit: Two tooltip-examples: Image
I used to play a paladin.
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest