Remove Advertisements

Guild... umm.. topic?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Guild... umm.. topic?

Postby Alzoid » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:57 pm

OK, so I have been prot spec'd for a while now, and have picked up some decent gear from kara, but still working on it... I've managed to hit uncrushable, and am now working on stam building. Even with all this behind me, plus experience in tanking.

the problem im having is convincing the 3 raid organizers in my guild that i CAN tank... we went in today to finish kara up, and were on illhoof, im asked to heal for it, and im fine with that, i dont mind stepping in when needed, but after 2 failed attempts with a feral druid on illhoof and a cat on his little imp (forgot his name) we decide to let me try tanking it. but before we get in there to pull him he starts talking to one of the other members who has a 70 pally alt, that is currently holy spec'd, if he would be willing to switch onto his char, respec him, and come tank it. BEFORE im even givin a shot...

what can i do to convince him that i'm a decent tank? i have a lot of the guild members backing me up, but he seems to just ignore it...

(if that was a little rantish im sorry... just not in a good mood atm >.>)
The problem with blizz making an idiot proof tank is that they just build worse idiots.

Alzoid

Postby Melathys » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:06 pm

imo, that's complete bs that they would ask someone to switch characters and respec before asking someone who's already there and specced and geared to step up.

My guild was rather hesitant to let me tank, but now that they see what can be done (partially through my trickery, ie, make sure I get hate for both attumen and his horse) they are beginning to accept that I can tank, and the main tank has started bringing his warlock instead of his warrior.
Melathys

Postby Lev » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:15 pm

I Use to Tank all the Imps with some fire resistance gear (about 350 unbuffed! xD). The first time even without, but a pretty decent healer for myself of course.
Anyway, you'll do just fine on Illhoof himself... but i wonder, why it does not work out with the feral? Illhof does not deal a lot of dmg als far as i can remember.
Lev

Postby Kyroro » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:29 pm

You gotta do runs with your RLs or officers and do some heroics to prove your skill. If they aren't biased against pally tanks, then the only remaining issue is that they don't trust your player skill and that can be changed if you know your class and know what you're doing.

In my experience (life, wow, etc.) talking only goes so far. You just gotta get out there and do it and let other people see you can do it. But the key thing is when you do get that opportunity to run with your officers, make sure you don't fuck up lol
Kyroro

Postby Afraithe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:05 am

I think thats how I conviced my first raid leaders, I did some heroics with them, 35 min Slave Pens heroic, and "Guild first" Shattered Halls heroic (this was a long time ago). Then I got the offtank position in Karazhan, and within a few weeks I went from "maybe getting a spot" in Kara raids, to half the guild whispering me asking if I was going kara today and if they could join. But I have to say, at that point I was outgearing our Warrior tanks even tho I had no Karazhan loot.

Another thing is just to be there all the time, take every oppertunity you can to get a spot showing what you can do. And of course, you have to know what you are talking about as well, I've seen some really crappy paladin tanks that I would not even take to 5:mans.
Afraithe

Postby Belarkan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:43 am

Afraithe wrote:Another thing is just to be there all the time, take every oppertunity you can to get a spot showing what you can do. And of course, you have to know what you are talking about as well, I've seen some really crappy paladin tanks that I would not even take to 5:mans.

Well, sometime it's not enough. Those days I've only got chance to run the first bosses in kara while the better geared warriors go for the rest. I'm really feeling bad with that.

OP case is even worst if they came to a point where they are ready to respec a paladin alt to tank, then either the OP is a bad tank either he should really consider gquitting.
Belarkan

Postby Kaelie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:51 am

Yeah, if they're willing to respec another guy's pally alt to tank instead of you, then they either hate you for some reason or you simply suck, and I'd gquit either way if it were me. That's just ridiculous, unprofessional, and mean.
Kaelie

Postby Diocaska » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:53 am

Belarkan wrote:
Afraithe wrote:Another thing is just to be there all the time, take every oppertunity you can to get a spot showing what you can do. And of course, you have to know what you are talking about as well, I've seen some really crappy paladin tanks that I would not even take to 5:mans.

Well, sometime it's not enough. Those days I've only got chance to run the first bosses in kara while the better geared warriors go for the rest. I'm really feeling bad with that.

OP case is even worst if they came to a point where they are ready to respec a paladin alt to tank, then either the OP is a bad tank either he should really consider gquitting.

Was going to post the same thing before I saw that.

@OP, talk to the raid leaders, see why they aren't giving you a shot. Depending on they say, either: Prove yourself in Heroics, accept the chance they give you, deal with it, or /Gquit.

I recommend before anything, that you just straight out ask them.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Sharlos » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:54 am

Lev wrote:I Use to Tank all the Imps with some fire resistance gear (about 350 unbuffed! xD). The first time even without, but a pretty decent healer for myself of course.
Anyway, you'll do just fine on Illhoof himself... but i wonder, why it does not work out with the feral? Illhof does not deal a lot of dmg als far as i can remember.

I tried tanking those but I wasn't gettig enough mana back from the little dmg i was taking. So now I just tank illhoof.
Sharlos

Postby honorshammer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:03 am

When I joined Mal Katai, they were skeptical not only of Paladin tanks, but moreso of my own playing skill.

It's amazing what a couple of nice Heroic Mech runs can do for you. They've gone from doubting to believing.

"If you, or [incredible Feral Druid], or [Guild Main Tank Warrior], aren't tanking, I'm not running it." - Guild Mage Class Leader
honorshammer

Postby Alzoid » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:29 am

well, after all the debating we did i finially got up to tank illhoof and everything else in the room wish consecrate in the middle.... 1 shot him at that point. but i think that the raid leader is biased towards pally tanks... guess i need to run some heroics with him.
The problem with blizz making an idiot proof tank is that they just build worse idiots.

Alzoid

Postby Vanifae » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:41 am

Alzoid wrote:well, after all the debating we did i finially got up to tank illhoof and everything else in the room wish consecrate in the middle.... 1 shot him at that point. but i think that the raid leader is biased towards pally tanks... guess i need to run some heroics with him.

Probably the best plan.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby corc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:15 am

Alzoid wrote:well, after all the debating we did i finially got up to tank illhoof and everything else in the room wish consecrate in the middle.... 1 shot him at that point. but i think that the raid leader is biased towards pally tanks... guess i need to run some heroics with him.

you mean biased against? or maybe you found a new friend to party with I dunno.

but yeah, I've convinced quite a few people to consider pally tanks by just having them be a sub in my old kara group (last run was last week... RIP) and having them witness how fast and easy it is to just have one tank for everything.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Tonirae » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Melathys wrote:My guild was rather hesitant to let me tank, but now that they see what can be done (partially through my trickery, ie, make sure I get hate for both attumen and his horse) they are beginning to accept that I can tank, and the main tank has started bringing his warlock instead of his warrior.

Funny you should mention that Melathys.. I'm actually an alt in my guild, but got bored playing my priest so I leveled up my paladin.. The MT of our guild specifically told me that "a paladin could never tank Prince"..

Now he joins my Kara group on his warlock, where I'm the sole tank for a group who clears kara in 5 hours.

I have people who whisper me before invites start, asking "are you tanking this one? or tomorrow's?"

All you gotta do it prove that you can do it and soon enough, you'll have people following you around, guaranteed.
"wtf, why do you have two paladins?!" - almost everyone I meet
Tonirae

Return to General