New achievment site, need testers!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

New achievment site, need testers!

Postby Aergis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Hey guys. Been working on a new achievement site and need some people to try it out to make sure everything is working. There are still a few bugs here and there, and I need to track them down.

The site is Warcraft Overachiever

Please feel free to add any comments / recommendations / feature requests in this thread.
Aergis
Site Admin

Re: New achievment site, need testers!

Postby Thalia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Mike I was not ready! I still haven't finished the Glory of the Hero guides =( XP

I would appreciate any help you guys wanna give if you guys want to write a guide for an achievement, and I'll make sure you get credit as the author of course.

Oh and we will be adding a search function for guides when we have more up =)
Thalia

Postby amh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 pm

The site has a nice and clean layout, will watch for updates when you get tracking sorted for EU :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:22 pm

wow guys, actual content! you've been working pretty hard since the last time i saw this. :)
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 pm

So some notes:

- The Submit link on the left panel goes to a page that says "We don't have a guide for this achievement yet." which is misleading since the user didn't click on an achievement to get there
- Usability note: somehow flag the achievements that DO have guides on the list?
- Another usability note: the achievements like Glory of the Raider etc. link to the submit page, and not to individual pages for the achievements that they represent
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby amh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 pm

The raid-achievements that are normally baked together (Freya +1, +2, +3 - FL +1, +2 etc, Yogg +3, +2 etc.) should probably be listed after each other. As it stands right now, I am unable to find for example Orbituary, because only Orbital Bombardement is listed. Basically the same as your regular armory - you can't see the harder hard-modes if you haven't completed the first steps.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Braundo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Wow, great idea for a site! Looks wonderful so far! A few comments.

1. Are you looking for content submissions? i.e. should I bother writing guides for certain achievements that are currently blank?

2. Also, when I enter a character name and realm name in the boxes on the front page, it tells me that no such character exists. Filling out the registration form with the same character information works, however.

3. It would be useful if the components of each meta-achievement (anything that says "complete the XYZ achievements listed below") were links to the achievements contained therein. For example, if each achievement for the "Glory of the Hero" meta-achievement was a hyperlink (or perhaps a Wowhead tooltip or something), because I can't remember what all of those achievements are just from the name.

4. Finally, I might recommend not including the user's password in the confirmation e-mail. Security reasons.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:14 pm

What you really need is an "about" page. At the moment there is no way to guess that there are guides on the site.
It looks like all the site does is show you your own achievements. ...... pretty useless.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:26 pm

Culhag wrote:What you really need is an "about" page. At the moment there is no way to guess that there are guides on the site.
It looks like all the site does is show you your own achievements. ...... pretty useless.

^

Looks nice, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly the point of this site is since wowarmory.com is ---> that way
Invisusira

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Culhag wrote:What you really need is an "about" page.

Agreed. It makes it significantly tougher for me to sign the admin up for tranny and sheep love newsletters without an about page with an email address.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby abinning » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:27 pm

2 things

1. A more graceful message for "U R n00b, must be lvl 80!" than
Fatal error: Call to a member function getAttribute() on a non-object in /home/woa/public_html/wp-content/themes/overAchiever/summary.php on line 31
(tested with Turdok:Uther and Serroi:Uther)
2. Special Character handling for server names.
"I get Character not found" when looking up peeps on Eldre'Thalas
IT works if i use Eldre%27Thalas though.
abinning

Postby Aergis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Braundo wrote:Wow, great idea for a site! Looks wonderful so far! A few comments.

1. Are you looking for content submissions? i.e. should I bother writing guides for certain achievements that are currently blank?

2. Also, when I enter a character name and realm name in the boxes on the front page, it tells me that no such character exists. Filling out the registration form with the same character information works, however.

3. It would be useful if the components of each meta-achievement (anything that says "complete the XYZ achievements listed below") were links to the achievements contained therein. For example, if each achievement for the "Glory of the Hero" meta-achievement was a hyperlink (or perhaps a Wowhead tooltip or something), because I can't remember what all of those achievements are just from the name.

4. Finally, I might recommend not including the user's password in the confirmation e-mail. Security reasons.

1. yes!

2. Interesting, what character and server did you try? That should be the same function. Did you perhaps misspell the server?

3. That's definitely in the works, and refers to number 1. :D

4. Yeah, good point...
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Aergis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:30 pm

abinning wrote:2 things

1. A more graceful message for "U R n00b, must be lvl 80!" than
Fatal error: Call to a member function getAttribute() on a non-object in /home/woa/public_html/wp-content/themes/overAchiever/summary.php on line 31
(tested with Turdok:Uther and Serroi:Uther)
2. Special Character handling for server names.
"I get Character not found" when looking up peeps on Eldre'Thalas
IT works if i use Eldre%27Thalas though.

Exactly stuff i want. Thanks! I did handle the special characters on character names, guess i forgot server names...
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby abinning » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:32 pm

One more thing...
The ad is blank, how the heck are you going to generate any revenue so you can keep this thing online with a borken add? =P

[Edit]
*Ok another thing. Aesthetics. everything seems a bit large/spread out to me. Maybe not large, but yeah spread out.
Not a big deal, it all looks great still.

[Edit2]
*Oh look! the ads are working. I guess I just needed to refresh...
Last edited by abinning on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abinning

Postby Aergis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Invisusira wrote:
Culhag wrote:What you really need is an "about" page. At the moment there is no way to guess that there are guides on the site.

^

Looks nice, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly the point of this site is since wowarmory.com is ---> that way

Such a Negative Nancy. :lol:

The idea is guide site that tracks your achievements as well as things ( coming soon ) like recommending which achievements to go do next. For example, say you've killed 10 / 12 "rabbid bunnies" while leveling. It would be nice to have a place that says "Hey! your 95% done this achievement, you should probably go kill 2 bunnies, and here's a guide on where to find them."

Armory doesn't help getting anything done, and wowhead doesn't have any way to track the ones you've done or not, as well as you have to dig through many posts and bad guides before finding anything useful.

Besides, what's the point of facebook when myspace is --> that way.
Aergis
Site Admin

Next

Return to General