I just pulled aggro...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

I just pulled aggro...

Postby Joanadark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:01 pm

...off-tanking Gruul....

...and the maintank couldnt pull off me.

had to stand there for 30 seconds before he could outpace me.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:52 pm

what did the raid leader say
Lightbeard

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:07 pm

I was clearing to attunsman once and our well geared main OT (who kinda sucks) lost aggro on her target to my shield throw n consecration and took her about 15seconds to take it back I laughed in my chair cause with her gear she lost aggro to me
Lightbeard

Re: I just pulled aggro...

Postby Maranus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:07 pm

Joanadark wrote:...off-tanking Gruul....

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby Joanadark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 pm

what did the raid leader say

"nerf pallies" -off tank
"I dunno how he does his threat magic like that, im using everything I've got at a full rage bar" -main tank

we've subsequently recruited a SECOND prot paladin (though I was leery of having yet another tank) who I'm mentoring, bringing an even tally to our raiding tank core to two Warrior main tanks, two Druid main tanks (one of which is rading less frequently), and myself.
Last edited by Joanadark on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:19 pm

The night began with my asking to experiment with how well I could manage threat-gen in an off-tanking position, taking care to stay below the hateful strike tank if I even managed to get up there.

After finding myself holding back for four growths, we decided to simply switch me to being hateful strike tank.

the main tank died for some stupid reason during a shatter (it was an alt-gearing/trials farming run) and on the second pull they ended up chain-misdirecting the main tank to simply keep me off him.
Was having to leave Judges out of my ability use rotation and downrank consecrate further to stay second.

And before someone asks, I was using about 350 spelldamage for the fight, without any gear emphasis whatsoever. Wizard Oil+flask was the only added spell damage from what I run with in my maxed mitigation gear.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:19 pm

so yeah...."we cant off-tank" is a myth.
Joanadark

Postby Zolf » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:28 pm

My guild just had our first ever guild Gruul kill with me as OT. Our previous attempts were with me as MT, but I think my HP was a bit low when commanding shout wasn't available, so we switched it up for a few attempts and we got him.
Zolf

Postby Ahms » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:32 pm

Do you do your normal threat cyles as if you were MT'ing Joan? Sometimes I wonder how OT'ing Gruul would go (I usually bring my Rogue since we have a lot of tanks and not a lot of geared DPS) and if my mana could take it, even with the Hateful Strikes.
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Postby Joanadark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:43 pm

Do you do your normal threat cyles as if you were MT'ing Joan? Sometimes I wonder how OT'ing Gruul would go (I usually bring my Rogue since we have a lot of tanks and not a lot of geared DPS) and if my mana could take it, even with the Hateful Strikes.

normal threat cycle excluding Holy Shield and Consecration downranked one-two ranks enabled me to pass the off-tank.
Since I was taking zero damage i needed to chug major mana pots (super weren't really necessary, so i saved money by using majors).

As official off-tank I used my normal threat cycle, excluding Holy Shield, and using max-rank Consecrate.
It was completely unneeded to use mana pots, though I didn't bother to use Ironshields either.

Most of my Block Value itemization I swapped out in favor of a heavy amount of dodge.

If the occasional light Shatter damage and Hateful Strikes didnt create enough damage inflow, or I got a string of Dodged Hatefuls, I simply stood in a cave-in.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:45 pm

its worth noting that Improved Judgement really shines in an off-tanking position, because you dont have longer-cooldown Holy Shield getting all in your way and you can use the reduced cooldown to maximum effect.

I am speced for Weapon Expertise and 1-handed Specialization, having dropped Reckonning, and had the t4 2-set bonus for the fight
Joanadark

Postby Cragus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:10 am

Ive been there a few weeks back, happened to 2 weeks in a row, now i just sit back and and be careful, i use about half a normal rotation.
Cragus

Postby Jensaarai » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:02 am

I got #1 on healing, does that count?

no

srsly

I rly did.

Anyway. I like healing that fight so I do :) maybe next week I'll tank him again. I've shrugged off off-tanking to a feral druid because, well, I think he's better for it than me :) and I don't like wasting pots :P
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Belarkan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:48 am

Joanadark wrote:so yeah...."we cant off-tank" is a myth.

It might also depends on how good your tanks are.
Belarkan

Re: I just pulled aggro...

Postby Vesper » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:39 am

Joanadark wrote:...off-tanking Gruul....

Ugh, I constantly have that problem. I have to stay with auto-attack for most of the fight, or I outpace the warrior tank in a mangle or two.

And why would a paladin have trouble gaining aggro as an OT on this? I realize it's a bit mana-intensive, but you're taking plenty of damage to get that mana back. (And yeah, standing in early cave-ins, or sitting down, is a time-honored tactic. :p ) It was my understanding that pallies are slightly worse than warriors and bears as OT on Gruul simply due to a) a lack of charge and b) a lower hp pool in case the later hurtfuls connect (and vs. bears, less physical mitigation). Not that it's not perfectly doable, just less desirable.

Am I missing something?
Vesper

Next

Return to General