Remove Advertisements

Paid Character Customization

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Digren » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm

MilaMan wrote:I meant that they don't *affect* anything in-game. They don't boost your stats, or make you a better tank, or anything of the sort. So in the sense that it is a video game, and in said video game the idea is to kill things, make levels, kill more things, etc, what you *look* like while doing it, doesn't affect your ability to do those things.


Sure, but the idea you describe for the video game is only a small part of said video game. A more general statement is that the video game is to "have fun". And that takes on a widely-interpreted set of meanings.

I for example really hated the look of my BC gear. I didn't get much T6, and so I ended BC wearing some key Zul'Aman pieces that looked godawful for my view of my character. That said, just last night I bought a Figureprint of myself in my full BC regalia (including my cotton candy mace) because, well, that's who I was for a very, very long time. I'm much happier with the look of WotLK gear so far, and I'll be happy to buy another figure at the end of this expansion.

I also collect non-combat pets. That's one of the definitions of "doesn't affect *anything* in game", but it's fun. I have 79 of them, including several I've bought off eBay (the CCG ones, where that's ok). That number isn't so impressive; the ~64 I had pre-3.0 where I had to store them in my bank and on my person is much more so, especially as it meant I had to balance my ability to maintain multiple resist, healing, tanking, and DPS gear sets. To that extent the pets hurt my ability to "kill things, make levels, kill more things".

I suppose then that mounts also fall into the "doesn't affect *anything* in game" category, once you've bought your first ground and first air high-speed mount, so you can race at top speed to the next thing you plan to kill. And really achievements and titles don't either.

In summary, I think the game where "the idea is to kill things, make levels, kill more things, etc" is a very shallow game, with limited replay and options, and not something that many people would be willing to keep spending money on. In other words, that alone isn't very "fun" - at least for me, and apparently, almost everyone else.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Postby Kasavier » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:50 pm

MilaMan wrote:I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, but I *will* defend my right, and yours, to openly share opinions without it getting personal, until my dying breath. Problem is, you guys are starting to walk a fine line between attacking my view point, and attacking me, and, again, you're fully allowed to do so, but I'd take your view points a lot more seriously if you'd step back over to the right side of said line. /shrugs


The thing is, people were openly sharing opinions in a non-inflammatory fashion until you posted insulting people's intelligence for liking cosmetic changes and then continued your post is a condescending fashion.
User avatar
Kasavier
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:44 am

Postby MilaMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Kasavier wrote: People are getting bent out of shape because you are being insulting



Uhm...? I can't really think of anything to say to this in rebuttal, other than you're wrong.

I'd also like to add that you and I are obviously two very different, conflicting personalities, and I'm going to step out of this thread because of it.

You call me insulting, then proceed to post a wall of text insulting me? Interesting.

But again, I will gladly, bow out of this thread, because of where the conversation went, partially, but mostly because of our obvious differences.

And before you think to try to twist that around into something it isn't, look at it this way: Do you think Mother Theresa and Adolf Hitler would've enjoyed each other's company?

And before you take THAT out of context, no I'm not referring to either of us as either of those historical figures, I'm simply making a point that sometimes, two people just straight up dont' get along.
MilaMan
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby Kasavier » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:57 pm

MilaMan wrote:
Kasavier wrote: People are getting bent out of shape because you are being insulting



Uhm...? I can't really think of anything to say to this in rebuttal, other than you're wrong.

I'd also like to add that you and I are obviously two very different, conflicting personalities, and I'm going to step out of this thread because of it.

You call me insulting, then proceed to post a wall of text insulting me? Interesting.

But again, I will gladly, bow out of this thread, because of where the conversation went, partially, but mostly because of our obvious differences.

And before you think to try to twist that around into something it isn't, look at it this way: Do you think Mother Theresa and Adolf Hitler would've enjoyed each other's company?

And before you take THAT out of context, no I'm not referring to either of us as either of those historical figures, I'm simply making a point that sometimes, two people just straight up dont' get along.


It really is a shame you're too defensive to really look into what people are trying to tell you and learn something from all of this.

In frith.
Last edited by Kasavier on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kasavier
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:44 am

Postby fafhrd » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:04 pm

You got bent out of shape first buddy. Making "Wow...just wow... " posts about how mind boggling it is that people care how they look in a game that basically has weak gameplay and low barriers to entry would qualify as "getting bent out of shape" for most people. 100% of the game is about character progression in a society, you're the one who's misguided if you think how a character looks isn't a major part of the game.

And seriously, how you look doesn't matter? I'm pretty sure I could have come into work in my pajamas today without any hindrance to performance (hell I'd have gotten in earlier and probably been more comfortable too). Instead I dressed, shaved, showered and wasted money in various other ways.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
User avatar
fafhrd
 
Posts: 5432
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:31 pm

Postby Arjuna » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:18 pm

MilaMan wrote:Wow...just wow...
<lots of uninteresting text>

you know, if graphics or visuals doesn't matter to you, you can always go play a mud?
I'm playing for fun, raiding and being social with fun people from all over Europe. If I got a Male or Female pally doesn't affect my gameplay the least, but it affects my experience from playing the game.

and regarding the "overpriced" thing...personally i think it's fairly cheap if you consider how many hours is spent with it each month...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
User avatar
Arjuna
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:26 am

Postby tuberon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:22 pm

It's a matter of utility. To some, the abiliy to change multiple features is worth $15, and they would gladly pay it. To others, it is not worth it, and they don't.

As for price, for me, let's consider...

I've been playing for a little over 2 years now, I believe. 2 x 12 x 15 = 24 x 15 = 360 dollars I've *already* spent on World of Warcraft. What's another 15?
Warning: Above poster makes no claims to validity or sanity of said post.

Also... cake.
User avatar
tuberon
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: US-Zul'jin

Postby Selenia Wolfwood » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Ignoring the last couple pages of posts (I get enough sh** at work), I personally do not think it's worth $15.00 to change my appearance (before anyone gets defensive, I'm merely pointing out that I am happy with 99.9% of my cosmetic choices and any changes I want can be easily done by spending 10-20 gold).

fafhrd wrote:There needs to be a "Gender Bender" achievement:


I would so change my gender just to get that achievement and then go back, but that's a topic for another forum.

Tuberon wrote:
Amanor wrote: A plausible excuse for a name change isn't too hard to think up. A plausible excuse for "lol, genderbend,"


Oddball Kirin Tor outcast testing out new spells?

Infinite Dragonflight changed something in your parents past and it resulted in your change, but the memories weren't affected for some reason. You blame Nozzie.

Bizarre effects of some healing spring waters? (ranma ½ anyone?)

The lifting off or falling under of a curse from some evil wizard?

Merely dressing as the opposite sex to advanced in a male/female dominated society but recent acceptance has allowed you to show your true form...

Nasty side effect from the smoke stuff given to you when you start howling fjord?

I could probably come up with more...

But I'm not on an RP server so I don't need to explain why my character suddenly sprouted a rack. I did it because it amuses me. And being amused in a game is supposed to be a good thing.


I lol'd. I rofl'd. I lol'd again.
Image
Image
User avatar
Selenia Wolfwood
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:42 am

Postby Veilan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Uh, don't feed the trolls? :)
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Image
User avatar
Veilan
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:45 am

Postby Selenia Wolfwood » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Veilan wrote:Uh, don't feed the trolls? :)


I wouldn't feed the orcs, tauren, or blood elves either.
Image
Image
User avatar
Selenia Wolfwood
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:42 am

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Selenia Wolfwood wrote:
Veilan wrote:Uh, don't feed the trolls? :)


I wouldn't feed the orcs, tauren, or blood elves either.


Grrrrr
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby Veilan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Selenia Wolfwood wrote:
Veilan wrote:Uh, don't feed the trolls? :)


I wouldn't feed the orcs, tauren, or blood elves either.


Honestly, blood elves need the feeding.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Image
User avatar
Veilan
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:45 am

Postby Arjuna » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:55 pm

Veilan wrote:
Selenia Wolfwood wrote:
Veilan wrote:Uh, don't feed the trolls? :)


I wouldn't feed the orcs, tauren, or blood elves either.


Honestly, blood elves need the feeding.

gief food!
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
User avatar
Arjuna
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:26 am

Postby Veilan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:00 pm

Arjuna wrote:
Veilan wrote:
Selenia Wolfwood wrote:
Veilan wrote:Uh, don't feed the trolls? :)


I wouldn't feed the orcs, tauren, or blood elves either.


Honestly, blood elves need the feeding.

gief food!


Food!

Image
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Image
User avatar
Veilan
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:45 am

Postby Arjuna » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:02 pm

mmmmm...

Image
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
User avatar
Arjuna
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:26 am

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?