Remove Advertisements

Paid Character Customization

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Impervium » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 am

I personally think Blizzard is missing out on tons of bonus capital by not allowing expanded character recustomization.

$15 for cosmetic changes like they have now.
$25 for a full class/race change within the same faction
$25 for server/account transfers
$50 for class/race/faction/server changes

Additionally, I think the best way Blizzard could fight gold seller spamming would be to just sell gold on their own. They could probably even get away with charging more simply because people would be more likely to buy from Blizzard than to get their account banned.

Just saying.
Impervium
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 am

Postby tuberon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:26 am

Amanor wrote: A plausible excuse for a name change isn't too hard to think up. A plausible excuse for "lol, genderbend,"


Oddball Kirin Tor outcast testing out new spells?

Infinite Dragonflight changed something in your parents past and it resulted in your change, but the memories weren't affected for some reason. You blame Nozzie.

Bizarre effects of some healing spring waters? (ranma ½ anyone?)

The lifting off or falling under of a curse from some evil wizard?

Merely dressing as the opposite sex to advanced in a male/female dominated society but recent acceptance has allowed you to show your true form...

Nasty side effect from the smoke stuff given to you when you start howling fjord?

I could probably come up with more...

But I'm not on an RP server so I don't need to explain why my character suddenly sprouted a rack. I did it because it amuses me. And being amused in a game is supposed to be a good thing.
Warning: Above poster makes no claims to validity or sanity of said post.

Also... cake.
User avatar
tuberon
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: US-Zul'jin

Postby amh » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:47 am

My priest is no longer a fugly male draenei. My priest is now called Cerveza (beer, how long will it last?), and is a very hot female draenei >.>
I used to play a paladin.
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:02 am

My character is now female, except now the animations bug me. Urgh.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby Arjuna » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:26 am

as a belf you'd hardly notice the change anyway... :)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
User avatar
Arjuna
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:26 am

Postby MilaMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:45 am

Wow...just wow...

I use this site because of the intelligence and thought that goes into the guides, advice and whatnot.

But the fact that there's a majority (at least in this thread) of people talking about "this animation" or "that graphic" irritates them...

It's mind boggling.

I honestly couldnt tell you what any of my gear looks like, what my dance looks like, or any of the the other little animations that happen while tanking.

Why?

Because it doesn't mean a god damned thing. Does having a bigger shield (as per those who thought BE fem's shields were too small), increase your block value? Of course not. So wtf does it matter?

15 bucks to change a few pixels around is just further proof of the continuing downfall of what *used* to be the best game makers in the business.

Now they're just money whores. Ah well, bound to happen eventually.
MilaMan
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 am

Take it easy, bro. I didn't do it because I thought it would make my character better, I did it because it was $15 and I've been staring at the same toon for a year and a half. There's probably a lot of reasons to think maybe the game is going downhill, but I don't think a $15 one-month cooldown gender change is one of them.

It's honestly a little offensive to insult my intelligence because I did this. I mean, dang. Was that really necessary?
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby MilaMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:52 am

moduspwnens wrote:Take it easy, bro. I didn't do it because I thought it would make my character better, I did it because it was $15 and I've been staring at the same toon for a year and a half. There's probably a lot of reasons to think maybe the game is going downhill, but I don't think a $15 one-month cooldown gender change is one of them.

It's honestly a little offensive to insult my intelligence because I did this. I mean, dang. Was that really necessary?


I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, I was simply making the point that the cosmetics don't mean a damn thing, and the only reason Blizzard is even offering this service is to suck even more dollars out of it's already over-paying customers.


Why do I say "over-paying"? Mostly because of the GM situation, but that rant of mine goes in a different thread :) (it's a known issue, and I'm working on it. There's nothing I can do about it)
MilaMan
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby Frew » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 pm

MilaMan wrote:I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, I was simply making the point that the cosmetics don't mean a damn thing, and the only reason Blizzard is even offering this service is to suck even more dollars out of it's already over-paying customers.


That's your opinion, please keep it that way. Some people do give a damn, and you have no right to tell us otherwise. Those of us that chose to do it (me being one of them) did as such - chose.

Sounds like somebody shit in your Cherrios this morning.

On a lighter note, I changed from Female --> Male and renamed my toon. My pally is now my main, but everybody knew me by my old mains name - Frewdice - so I changed it to Frew.

Honestly, I was sick of people whistling at me and calling me Darlin.. lol
Image Image
User avatar
Frew
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 am

Postby MilaMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:20 pm

Dariin wrote:Sounds like somebody shit in your Cherrios this morning.


Hmm, thought they tasted odd.

I guess the bits of corn should've given it away.
MilaMan
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby Kasavier » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:25 pm

MilaMan wrote:Wow...just wow...

I use this site because of the intelligence and thought that goes into the guides, advice and whatnot.

But the fact that there's a majority (at least in this thread) of people talking about "this animation" or "that graphic" irritates them...

It's mind boggling.

I honestly couldnt tell you what any of my gear looks like, what my dance looks like, or any of the the other little animations that happen while tanking.

Why?

Because it doesn't mean a god damned thing. Does having a bigger shield (as per those who thought BE fem's shields were too small), increase your block value? Of course not. So wtf does it matter?

15 bucks to change a few pixels around is just further proof of the continuing downfall of what *used* to be the best game makers in the business.

Now they're just money whores. Ah well, bound to happen eventually.


People enjoy different aspects of the game. You might not be into the visual aspect, but the truth is, a lot of people really are, and here's the kicker, there's nothing wrong with that. I've deleted toons at level 10 because I liked a hair color in the character creation screen, but it looked different in the actual game and I couldn't get used to it.

Part of the fun for a lot of people is how the game and their character looks. You might not be able to describe any of your character's animations, but I can tell you just what my character looks like when he's dancing with no gear on in front of the Scryer bank with my favorite tauren shaman.

MilaMan wrote:I was simply making the point that the cosmetics don't mean a damn thing


This is the problem. They may not mean a damn thing for you, but they do mean something to others. No side is more correct than the others, but when you get up on a high horse about it, that's where the problem starts. Is people wanting to like their character's graphics and animations really that bad? I mean, if you disliked the concept from the get-go, why even look in this thread, unless you fully intended to get intentionally offended post inflammatory things.

And as far as the money issue goes. It's a business. It's sole purpose and entire point of existence is to make money. They want to make products or offer services that people will want enough to pay for. That is their sole purpose. If you feel dissatisfied with the product or service, make your statement by ceasing to give them your money, because complaining about it on third party message boards is kind of pointless.
User avatar
Kasavier
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:44 am

Postby MilaMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Kasavier wrote: This is the problem. They may not mean a damn thing for you, but they do mean something to others. No side is more correct than the others, but when you get up on a high horse about it, that's where the problem starts. Is people wanting to like their character's graphics and animations really that bad? I mean, if you disliked the concept from the get-go, why even look in this thread, unless you fully intended to get intentionally offended post inflammatory things.


1, I think it's hilarious how bent out of shape everyone's getting because I felt I could exercise my right to free speech on a forum.

2, You say the animations are important to some people, and that's fine, but it's not what I actually meant.

I meant that they don't *affect* anything in-game. They don't boost your stats, or make you a better tank, or anything of the sort. So in the sense that it is a video game, and in said video game the idea is to kill things, make levels, kill more things, etc, what you *look* like while doing it, doesn't affect your ability to do those things.

And before 3 more people flame me for "I don't just kill things, I level my professions, and I play 'pass the heavy leather ball' in IF, and I do this and that and this"...Again, youre taking me FAR too literally.
MilaMan
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:43 pm

MilaMan wrote:1, I think it's hilarious how bent out of shape everyone's getting because I felt I could exercise my right to free speech on a forum.


Well, people "exercise their right to free speech" on the official forums, too. Here, though, we try to keep things respectful and civil.
Milaman wrote:I meant that they don't *affect* anything in-game. They don't boost your stats, or make you a better tank, or anything of the sort. So in the sense that it is a video game, and in said video game the idea is to kill things, make levels, kill more things, etc, what you *look* like while doing it, doesn't affect your ability to do those things.

Nobody thought they did. I doubt you'll find a single person who thought changing the gender of his toon would make him tank better. You'd also be hard-pressed to find someone who thinks a new mount will make them DPS better, or a new tabard or non-combat pet would make them heal better. This game has a lot more to it than "killing more things." If it didn't, I'd probably just play Gears of War except for the few hours a night I spend raiding.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby MilaMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:47 pm

moduspwnens wrote:This game has a lot more to it than "killing more things."


Man, I even put a "don't take that literally" disclaimer on it, and you STILL took it literally.

/sigh

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, but I *will* defend my right, and yours, to openly share opinions without it getting personal, until my dying breath. Problem is, you guys are starting to walk a fine line between attacking my view point, and attacking me, and, again, you're fully allowed to do so, but I'd take your view points a lot more seriously if you'd step back over to the right side of said line. /shrugs

Again, just trying to have a discussion here based on the OP: Is it really worth it to pay 15 bucks to change a mustache/gender/whatever.

And I strongly feel that no, it is not worth it. You, obviously, strongly feel that it *is* worth it, I'm just trying to understand *why*.
MilaMan
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:50 am
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby Kasavier » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:47 pm

MilaMan wrote:1, I think it's hilarious how bent out of shape everyone's getting because I felt I could exercise my right to free speech on a forum.


People are getting bent out of shape because you are being insulting, not because you are exercising what you believe to be a right that you actually do not have. Honestly, when you start a post of with, something over the top in separating yourself from the rest of the group, then to be insulting as if the example of how you feel is so much better, then honestly, what do you expect to happen?

Also, regarding your "right to free speech"This is a message board run by a private individual, as such, you have no rights to its use. This has nothing to do with cosmetic changes to one's character, it's just a comment misconception that needed correcting.

Also, you might just have been "expressing [your] right to free speech", but the unfortunate thing is, when you put your opinions out for others to hear, you will receive criticism, that's just how communication works, this goes double on the internet. I feel that no one has become so worked up to have been excessively rude, so if you cannot handle people merely expressing their own "free speech", well, I have no suggestions that I can phrase politely.

MilaMan wrote:I meant that they don't *affect* anything in-game. They don't boost your stats, or make you a better tank, or anything of the sort. So in the sense that it is a video game, and in said video game the idea is to kill things, make levels, kill more things, etc, what you *look* like while doing it, doesn't affect your ability to do those things.

I thought the idea of a game was to enjoy myself. If someone finds the game more enjoyable after a cosmetic change to their character, then the character changes were a success.

MilaMan wrote:And before 3 more people flame me for "I don't just kill things, I level my professions, and I play 'pass the heavy leather ball' in IF, and I do this and that and this"...Again, youre taking me FAR too literally.


No, I think people are reading just what you said. If so many people are misinterpreting your words, perhaps you should look at your phrasing?
User avatar
Kasavier
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?