Remove Advertisements

"Tanking is my off-spec"

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Mozen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:20 am

Arjuna wrote:0, mostly because THERE DOES NOT DROP ANY TANK GEAR!!1

got a full holy set though, drops bits and pieces all over the place, and with high % aswell...

Five-man dungeons don't have tanking gear. It's a myth.

I hate RNG.
Mozen

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:32 am

actually... the myth is plate in Naxx... my last run - the first 2 entire wings did not drop a single piece that was not leather or spellpower... (or both)

really annoying when trying to get some tanking gearz...

guess it all made up tho... got my 4h helmet and patchwerk shoulders, and our DPS warrior got the KT axe...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Re: "Tanking is my off-spec"

Postby Grimmal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:52 am

Siekertr21 wrote:How many pieces of 5 man gear have you guys lost because of this? for me its 2 so far.

Never lost gear to this actually. And as far as I can remember, I've only seen somebody roll against a specced player twice. Both times they were immediately booted from the group by the rest of the players for not at least asking.

I had somebody complain while my Paladin was specced Ret but healing that I rolled on DPS gear. I was only healing because the group couldn't find another healer and I made it clear that I would be rolling on upgrades regardless of my group role. I didn't end up winning the item, but they made a huge fuss about it. The rest of the group told him to shut it as I didn't want to be healing anyways. lol

On my server in PUGs though, the general agreement is that if you can use it right at this moment as a upgrade it's fair game. For your spec. Otherwise, you ask and if the group doesn't mind you roll. Most people seem to abide by it pretty well.
I had a hook in my back and a light to guide me
Grimmal

Postby Nagoyah » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:12 am

Plenty of times has a sneaky DK or two ninja rolled on the last boss for tanking gear, even seem them need roll on plate gear with mana regen on it!

VanasKos addon helps me keep track of the hated :D
Tribute to late George Carlin
"I would like to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming like the rest of the people in the car."
Nagoyah

Postby Brute » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:25 am

I'm considering respeccing holy since right now on my server all you see in LFG is "LF1M <insert instance> need healer". I'd build the group when I could so that I get all plate no questions asked (gogo druid tank) but what all measures would you take to make sure you'd get a shot at the tanking loot without making others mad if you're the last into the group?

I'm thinking
a) Say it up front that you're going to roll on their loot.
b) Offer to let them roll on yours (if applicable).
c) Offer to leave if they don't like it.
d) Bubblehearth on the boss if he sets it to ML mid-fight.

I wonder how many people would have me along. I don't WANT to be a dick but I'm tired of waiting 20 min for a healer, then waiting 20 min for everyone to get to the instance, then the wife getting pissy with me because what I thought would take 30 min takes over an hour instead.
Brute

Postby yappo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:31 am

Elsie wrote:
yappo wrote:After a few ninja-rolls in the past I now tell people to roll for their current role or I don't tank the instance. I don't care about main-spec or whatever. You join the group as healer you roll as healer.

I'd hate to be in your groups. It's a relatively flawed method of saying "we need a healer, you can fill the role, but we don't want you to because you're respeccing for the group's benefit."

I hope your guild doesn't follow that logic in raids. Shudder.

Our guild is nowhere close to raiding WotLK, but sure, we use different rules there. We STILL dislike a guildmember rolling on BOE for the toon he/she almost never plays if such a roll would compete with someone playing his/her "usual" toon.

As for respeccing, I've yet to see that happen in a PUG, which pretty much is what this thread is about. I assume that a guildie who starts to regularly ninjaing gear won't be long in the guild for rather obvious reasons.

Now, let's say I tank and another tankadin shows up and offers to dish out the cash for respeccing a PUG in order to give us a needed healer -- of course said pally and I will compete for tanking gear. This is hardly rolling for an off-spec.
yappo

Postby daemonym » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 am

Brute wrote:I'm considering respeccing holy since right now on my server all you see in LFG is "LF1M <insert instance> need healer". I'd build the group when I could so that I get all plate no questions asked (gogo druid tank) but what all measures would you take to make sure you'd get a shot at the tanking loot without making others mad if you're the last into the group?

I'm thinking
a) Say it up front that you're going to roll on their loot.
b) Offer to let them roll on yours (if applicable).
c) Offer to leave if they don't like it.
d) Bubblehearth on the boss if he sets it to ML mid-fight.

I wonder how many people would have me along. I don't WANT to be a dick but I'm tired of waiting 20 min for a healer, then waiting 20 min for everyone to get to the instance, then the wife getting pissy with me because what I thought would take 30 min takes over an hour instead.

i definately know where youre coming from here, but i still wouldn't roll on anything that i wasn't specced fro at the time. like for a while i was running ret and got into a MgT heroic, guess what drops? that fuckin commendation i've spent ages looking for. naturally i -asked- if it would be cool if i rolled on it as well, but i didn't.

but if you let the group know up front and they were cool with it, totally go fir it.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby crazyflanger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:16 am

So I posted in this thread yesterday saying that this has never happened to me. Sure enough last night it did. I went to AK with the intent of getting the +111 stamina trinket. The trinket also has a chance to mitigate 140 damage per hit. It dropped, and the Ret pally /rolled. I won the roll. I was happy, but still a little pissed the pally rolled when I specifically said that was the reason I was coming. "My main spec is protection, I just went ret so I could get into heriocs" TOTAL BS.

I was leader and I should of kicked him but since I won I was still happy and we kept going. Before the last boss I should have really used master looter because the last guy dropped the epic defense belt. Now I have an equivilent belt from naxx. The AK belt however does have more defense wich would allow me to get an additional stam enchant. If I had been in a group w/ friend, or even someone who passed on my trinket I would of let them have it no problem. But this guy was a dick so I /rolled. He won. BASTARD!#$@$@$
crazyflanger

Postby Nemuria » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:27 am

Well, you (we) have to make our mind that anyone can roll need - as soon as you set the loot to "Group" mode.

Also did a mistake one day. One mage was saved for an heroic and stated he killed only one boss. So I gave him leadership, after discussions among the group. After a few packs we reached Thrall's cell...and it was empty. We even ran to Tarren Mill and searched the houses.
Now I always check the raid status when entering a raid or heroics. And don't accept ppl that are "half" saved. :x

Edit: rets rolling on tanking gear...strange because it is easier to get a group as tank
Last edited by Nemuria on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemuria

Postby Elsie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:29 am

crazyflanger wrote:The AK belt however does have more defense wich would allow me to get an additional stam enchant. If I had been in a group w/ friend, or even someone who passed on my trinket I would of let them have it no problem. But this guy was a dick so I /rolled. He won.

Swapping out defense enchants is the worst thing you can do statistically.

The only loot I can say I was unnerved about was a warrior winning season 5 paladin gloves. I got them through a GM, but it triggered a nasty email saying my account has reached the mystery number of restorations.
Elsie

Postby Targonis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 am

Splug wrote:I got outrolled on a Repelling Charge at a naxx 10 half-pug once. The guy who got it was originally going to be tanking the run, but when I joined he got shoved into a damage role because I vastly outgeared him. Kind of a grey area there, though at the time I wasn't particularly thrilled. The item dropped again the next week anyway, so no big deal.

-Splug

That is pretty grey... but I think he had a right to roll if he only got pushed to a damage role for you to tank due to gear... maybe with that 1 trinket he'll end up being able to build a decent enough set to get you pushed to the damage role? lol
Targonis

Postby Amirya » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:17 am

yappo wrote:
Elsie wrote:
yappo wrote:After a few ninja-rolls in the past I now tell people to roll for their current role or I don't tank the instance. I don't care about main-spec or whatever. You join the group as healer you roll as healer.

I'd hate to be in your groups. It's a relatively flawed method of saying "we need a healer, you can fill the role, but we don't want you to because you're respeccing for the group's benefit."

I hope your guild doesn't follow that logic in raids. Shudder.

Now, let's say I tank and another tankadin shows up and offers to dish out the cash for respeccing a PUG in order to give us a needed healer -- of course said pally and I will compete for tanking gear. This is hardly rolling for an off-spec.

But...that's not what you said. I totally get what you're saying, but I do have to point out that you said "I now tell people to roll for their current role....I don't care about main-spec or whatever."

(We all love clarifications :D )
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby yappo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Amirya wrote:But...that's not what you said. I totally get what you're saying, but I do have to point out that you said "I now tell people to roll for their current role....I don't care about main-spec or whatever."

(We all love clarifications :D )

Well, sorry if unclear. As stated, I've yet to see someone respec in order to fill a needed spot (which by no means imply my stating that this never happens). Thus I'd expect to be told this was the case PRIOR to running the instance. In order to avoid later problems I make my wishes clear before we run inside (actually before anyone starts summoning people).

The day someone tells me they're respeccing in order to fill a currently needed spot, I'll rethink my position. If they tell me they'll respec at 80 but want to level as ret (assuming another pally) I'll find myself another DPS, because if you can't be bothered to take on the "boring" jobs while levelling, then you shouldn't roll for the rewards aimed at those who do.

Now, I've had people state that they "usually play..." when it's time to loot and roll on something they're currently not specced for. That's simply a crappy thing to do. I've also (twice) had idiot need rolls. Clothie rolling on BOP plate and healadin rolling on BOP dagger (or some other piece that was clearly only useful for one of our soft-DPS).

BTW, if I sound irritated it's primarily because English is a foreign language to me, which tends to make my writing style overly formal. If so I apologise :D
yappo

Postby Tev » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:55 pm

They don't roll on tank gear and I don't roll on dps gear. works well because most people care more about their dps main set than their tank offset.
Tev

Postby Elsie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:04 pm

The day someone tells me they're respeccing in order to fill a currently needed spot, I'll rethink my position. If they tell me they'll respec at 80 but want to level as ret (assuming another pally) I'll find myself another DPS, because if you can't be bothered to take on the "boring" jobs while levelling, then you shouldn't roll for the rewards aimed at those who do.

Well, you're not the first person I've seen penalize people for efficiency. I tanked as ret leveling up, where's that fit in?

Also anyone who is mainspec prot and is currently holy has already done the respec for your group. The pre-emptive nature does not change the fact. He/she did so to fill in the necessary roll for statistically more 5-man groups. While I wouldn't run with them because I don't like to waste time, I also recognize their efficiency concerns and wouldn't have a problem with them rolling is forwarned (and I had no other group options, really, he could just get a feral druid). Or, well, we just run two instances where I have the drops in one and he doesn't, and we trade off chance like that.
got a full holy set though, drops bits and pieces all over the place, and with high % aswell...

Eww.. holy is so not my style... I've de'd a lot of naxx holy gear though!
Elsie

PreviousNext

Return to General