Remove Advertisements

"Tanking is my off-spec"

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Lewyn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:09 pm

skrith2 wrote:Deathknights have rolled need on every piece of tank gear thats dropped from an instance I've tanked for one. Even crap with shield block rating.

I no longer instance with non guild deathknights because of this.

I've won need rolls over them on Seal of the Pantheon, Essence of Gossamer, Burning Skull Pendant, and Slaughterhouse Sabatons. (yes the last 2 have shield block)

Those DK's are all on ignore now, I don't want to screw up and forget that they're greedy idiots.

As far as everyone else thats rolled need against me for tank gear, I just roll need on everything from then on, since its all part of my off set. I have like 4 purple cloth drops and more hunter mail than I know what to do with.

I lost the slaughterhouse sabatons to a DK too. His excuse, "My bad, I saw plate and just rolled need." Needless to say, I will not run with him ever again.
Lewyn

Postby Viycktor » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
Kilthanas wrote:Lost Essence of Gossamer in this fashion ... Got him back by rolling need on the epic plate dodge belt ... and sharding it in front of him.

Wow, that is an epic tale of revenge.

Revenge in a case like this just makes you look like an equal jerk. (Good pun, btw. ;))

Yeah, it is a little jerky... now if he had won a nice epic 2-hander or rare dps plate piece, THAT would have been justice ;). I don't care who thinks I 'look like a jerk'... I'll leave that to people who are actually more concerned about image. Would he have been more or less of a jerk if he had just kicked the DK the moment he needed the off-spec piece without asking? Because that's what I'd like to do; HOWEVER, that potentially screws over the rest of the group by making it difficult to refill the group mid run.

So you either a) tolerate jerks, or b) screw over your group (and therefore potential BE a jerk) or c) tolerate the jerk and screw him over when you get the chance. These are all bad options really. But I'd kick the guy and try to grab a guildy/friend replacement.

If you expect people to Need only on main-spec upgrades, say so at the beginning. This lets them leave for other groups, or you to replace them with someone else. Otherwise, you getting upset because someone rolled on what could be a legit upgrade to them is YOUR problem.

I've tanked enough pugs with other prot-specced people in them... my general take is, "I'd be really happy if you passed X to me... but I know you're looking for it too. If you roll and win, well ... I'll be sad, but at least I had a fair shot at it". The alternative to not getting mad is: Don't invite them, or don't pug.

Laying down the law at the beginning is always a good idea.

But DKs need to be watched more than most classes. A DK with a tank spec may show up and say he can dps... he may even THINK he can dps... I've seen DKs slip into groups claiming to be dps, looking to roll on anything they can equip.

It's just as bad a Paladins who spec holy or even ret or prot and join groups as the healer and then roll need on upgrades over tanks/dps. I had a pug Paladin do just that back in TBC... got a great tanking cloak off the last boss of SV over the warrior (our guild MT still gearing up) in a surprise need, 'loled' and said he really didn't need it then hearthed/ignored us.

4/5 times you get jerks in PUGs, and they gravitate towards the 'easy' flavor of the month classes (DKs now, in the past it's been hunters or Ret Paladins)... but I've met some GREAT players and gotten invites to serious guilds from tanking pugs too.
Viycktor

Postby mavfin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Yeah, I talk to other plate-wearers before we get going. If they want to roll on tank stuff, I note to them that I reserve the right to roll on DPS stuff. If they have a particular piece they want that isn't in conflict with what I want, that's fine, too. If I have a particular tanking piece I need, I tell them it's off-limits. If they won't accept that, then I'll kick them. As long as it's known beforehand what the rules are.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Viycktor wrote:But DKs need to be watched more than most classes. A DK with a tank spec may show up and say he can dps... he may even THINK he can dps... I've seen DKs slip into groups claiming to be dps, looking to roll on anything they can equip.

It's just as bad a Paladins who spec holy or even ret or prot and join groups as the healer and then roll need on upgrades over tanks/dps.

Hate the player not the class. ;)

You're right: DKs have potential to be loot sponges, more than we might like. Solution: Invite DKs that you know not to be jerks. I admit I don't follow that advice, heh. All you can do is ignore them for future groupings. I'm glad I've been lucky and not met any jerks at 80, so far.
Kelaan

Postby Levantine » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Just make a macro along these lines:

/p Welcome to my PuG!
/p Loot is as follows:
/p Mainspec = Need
/p Offspec = Greed
/p "I'm going to tank/dps/heal later" is not a mainspec.
Levantine

Postby Mishdorf » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:20 pm

The only time I have ever been accused of being a ninja was when I was 79, specced ret and initially been accepted into the group as the tank. We found another prot pally and he tanked. A prot piece dropped off one of the bosses and I rolled need and won it. He wasn't happy, even though prot was my main spec. I can see his point of view but I didn't really care as it was only a normal instance anyway.

I only rolled on it cause I forgot I wasn't a tank at the time.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby phaqueue » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Honestly - I ran about 15 heroics in 2 days... and never had this problem once... got my Red Sword of Courage, and about 3-4 other upgrades... and I would say for around 3/4 of those runs, I had at least 1 other plate wearer... if not 2-3 others (1 run was me tanking, holy pally healer, 2 DK's, and a lock)

Hasn't been a problem yet... but honestly - there are certain things I want from certain instances - and I make sure this is known beforehand... other than that - it's whatever... I plan to continue running th instances and the stuff will drop again...

but maybe I've just grouped with decent people is all...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Arjuna » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:12 pm

0, mostly because THERE DOES NOT DROP ANY TANK GEAR!!1

got a full holy set though, drops bits and pieces all over the place, and with high % aswell...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Elsie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 pm

I simply don't invite others who intend to tank, or make sure the group knows (if ret) that I intend to take tank upgrades if I need them. "Main Spec" is a TBC/Vanilla term. Right now, several people are dual spec - particularly to fill in what's needed as guild membership and raid roles are in a volatile state.

State your intentions before the run or GTFO. You're just causing drama otherwise. That said, I've made a couple rogues cry about losing their leather to a plate using class.
Elsie

Postby yappo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:50 am

After a few ninja-rolls in the past I now tell people to roll for their current role or I don't tank the instance. I don't care about main-spec or whatever. You join the group as healer you roll as healer.
yappo

Postby Elsie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:24 am

yappo wrote:After a few ninja-rolls in the past I now tell people to roll for their current role or I don't tank the instance. I don't care about main-spec or whatever. You join the group as healer you roll as healer.

I'd hate to be in your groups. It's a relatively flawed method of saying "we need a healer, you can fill the role, but we don't want you to because you're respeccing for the group's benefit."

I hope your guild doesn't follow that logic in raids. Shudder.
Elsie

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:37 am

Honestly - if I am asking the person to respec to run the instance... they can roll on stuff for their main spec - even if it's not what they're running as... If they choose to respec before talking to me... then wait till a piece of gear drops to "remember" that they respecced...

SOL

so basically - it all depends on 2 things... is it known beforehand? and did we ask the person to respec? or did they volunteer to or respec for another purpose and happen to find the run?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Threatco » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:38 am

Only DKs do that to me. :evil: :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :?
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Bregor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:22 am

I consider it an unwritten rule that you roll need if you need an item for you current group role, and only may need on "off spec" items if the main spec does not need. Haven’t had problems since a long time, and I cannot even remember the incident. I think it was a rogue needing on Commendation of Kael'thas without even saying anything. I still won the roll, and the rogue won a spot on my ignore list.
Bregor - Deathwing(EU) - 0/53/18
Bregor

Postby Petrus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:50 am

I *almost* lost my Red Sword to the DPS DK who - get this - actually wanted to use it for dps. I rolled a 58 to his 26, and from there on if I needed an epic off of a heroic boss and I was in a pug, I masterlooted.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General