"Tanking is my off-spec"

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Tzuma » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Leveled my DK to 80 the first week, and been doing heroics since, as DPS (intention was raid tank, but we have plenty to fill that roll atm). Ive actually found the opposite true, in that tanks are rolling on DPS gear while Im passing on any tank gear, unless I confirm with them they dont want or need it first. It does not happen frequently, but has happened more often with Paladins than warriors.

However, this isnt stopping me from never grouping with a plate tank though, or specifically paladins. A bad pug does not equal a bad class.

The only people I avoid, are groups where they are too specific as to what they want, "ranged dps only" etc. Very few fights, if any, has any class specifc in LK been necessary. Limiting criteria, to me, only shows your lack of trust in your own abilities, or loot whoring mentality.

Chances are, im likely to find the reverse true as I start leveling up the old pally this next week, but such is pug-life, yo.
Tzuma

Postby Nalyn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:17 pm

I don't think I've run into this issue, then again, I don't do pugs, I'm busy enough with just guildie runs of heroics and naxx.

I've gotten to play DPS for a few heroic runs, and I pretty much always pass to the tank, on tank-type plate and items that drop, as they are the ones doing the work at that point.

Now it's kind of a moot point, as I only have 5? blue items left in my tanking set, and 2 of them are trinkets. My ret set though...is still 3/4's S4 items, that's where my badges are going to start being spent in the near future, as well as concentrating on heroics that drops these items.
Nalyn

Postby Kilthanas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Lost Essence of Gossamer in this fashion (DK said well I'll be tanking in naxx and then proceeded to roll need without asking if that was cool). Got him back by rolling need on the epic plate dodge belt at the end of the instance that I already had and sharding it in front of him. GG buddy, could have had the belt if you weren't such a dick about the trinket.

I'll occasionally put it on master loot if I think its going to be an issue. But now that almost our whole guild is 80, there's no reason to pug at all anymore.
Kilthanas

Postby katraya » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:22 pm

I've actually been surprised how little of this I have seen.

For example, I ran reg HoL when I was leveling. Group was me and a tree friend, and then pugged Boomkin, a DK and a Ret pally. I was pretty sure at least one of them was going to roll on the tank trinket if it dropped. Surprisingly they all passed and told me grats. I got the tank sword that run too.

So far I haven't seen a single tank drop taken by a dps unless I passed first.

I feel like I should go knock on wood or something now though. I think I just jinxed myself. :?
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Every instance I have run, save for one, I have been the raid leader. Almost every group is fully willing to toss the MT the lead. If I'm pugging an instance and I don't know the group, I will not hesitate to inform the group that a certain boss drops an item that I, as the tank, need, and then I will use master loot on that boss.

I haven't had to do this yet, but I absolutely will if I'm in a pug trying to get the trinket from normal HoL. If anyone doesn't like it, I can solo the boss with the healer if need be.
Belloc

Postby Sederia » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:49 pm

so far, just the Goss trinket
Sederia

Postby semp » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:34 pm

I had a guy in my guild that had the philosophy if you wanted the item in your bag regardless of spec roll need. I didnt really run much with him.

Recently, well a month ago, I went holy to heal some heroics for a guildmate of mine who was pugging. The tank sword drops from UP, which the pal tank had. The DPS war rolls need saying he is main spec prot...The other 3 in the group were from that guild, so being as my main spec at that point was ret, i was like like why not say this when the group started? I debated for about a minute before passing and he wins the sword with a 5. I have now see this same warrior in IF sever times, always in the same shitty ass DPS gear. Never again will I pass like that.
semp

Postby crazyflanger » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:45 pm

I havn't ran into this problem in WotLK yet. I have ran into the problem before though. Even had people rolling need on stuff just to piss other people off. I think if anyone ever did do this to me I'd blacklist them.

I've been running UP and Strat heroics religously every day to get the epic defense sword and board and have yet to see it drop. If a fury warrior dropped by and gnabbed either of those I'd be pretty pissed. With that said I'd keep running them. Eventually I'm gonna get it right?
crazyflanger

Postby Fedaykin98 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Kilthanas wrote:Lost Essence of Gossamer in this fashion (DK said well I'll be tanking in naxx and then proceeded to roll need without asking if that was cool). Got him back by rolling need on the epic plate dodge belt at the end of the instance that I already had and sharding it in front of him. GG buddy, could have had the belt if you weren't such a dick about the trinket.

I'll occasionally put it on master loot if I think its going to be an issue. But now that almost our whole guild is 80, there's no reason to pug at all anymore.

Wow, that is an epic tale of revenge.

Mortehl wrote:No pug = no drama.

I wish that were so. When loot drama happens in a pug, you dust yourself off and get back in the ring. When it happens in your guild, it really messes with esprit de corps and your general sense of fun.
Fedaykin98

Postby lusisia » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Tzuma wrote:
The only people I avoid, are groups where they are too specific as to what they want, "ranged dps only" etc. Very few fights, if any, has any class specifc in LK been necessary. Limiting criteria, to me, only shows your lack of trust in your own abilities, or loot whoring mentality.

This is probably more a case of "The one time we were able to beat X, we did it with a ranged dps group" and so now that's the only way they know to beat it.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:
Kilthanas wrote:Lost Essence of Gossamer in this fashion ... Got him back by rolling need on the epic plate dodge belt ... and sharding it in front of him.

Revenge in a case like this just makes you look like an equal jerk. (Good pun, btw. ;))

If you expect people to Need only on main-spec upgrades, say so at the beginning. This lets them leave for other groups, or you to replace them with someone else. Otherwise, you getting upset because someone rolled on what could be a legit upgrade to them is YOUR problem.

I've tanked enough pugs with other prot-specced people in them... my general take is, "I'd be really happy if you passed X to me... but I know you're looking for it too. If you roll and win, well ... I'll be sad, but at least I had a fair shot at it". The alternative to not getting mad is: Don't invite them, or don't pug.
Kelaan

Postby skrith2 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Deathknights have rolled need on every piece of tank gear thats dropped from an instance I've tanked for one. Even crap with shield block rating.

I no longer instance with non guild deathknights because of this.

I've won need rolls over them on Seal of the Pantheon, Essence of Gossamer, Burning Skull Pendant, and Slaughterhouse Sabatons. (yes the last 2 have shield block)

Those DK's are all on ignore now, I don't want to screw up and forget that they're greedy idiots.

As far as everyone else thats rolled need against me for tank gear, I just roll need on everything from then on, since its all part of my off set. I have like 4 purple cloth drops and more hunter mail than I know what to do with.
skrith2

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
Kilthanas wrote:Lost Essence of Gossamer in this fashion ... Got him back by rolling need on the epic plate dodge belt ... and sharding it in front of him.

Revenge in a case like this just makes you look like an equal jerk. (Good pun, btw. ;))

If you expect people to Need only on main-spec upgrades, say so at the beginning. This lets them leave for other groups, or you to replace them with someone else. Otherwise, you getting upset because someone rolled on what could be a legit upgrade to them is YOUR problem.

I've tanked enough pugs with other prot-specced people in them... my general take is, "I'd be really happy if you passed X to me... but I know you're looking for it too. If you roll and win, well ... I'll be sad, but at least I had a fair shot at it". The alternative to not getting mad is: Don't invite them, or don't pug.

I disagree. I think one bad turn deserves another and they got the last laugh in the end. Sure, an enemy for life, but it's not like you're even going to need them again. Also note that Kilthanas didn't say that the DK was tanking, but rather that they would be tanking IN Naxx. To me that says they're currently dps spec but intend to tank later. In which case, it's not an upgrade for their current spec.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: "Tanking is my off-spec"

Postby gibborim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Siekertr21 wrote:How many pieces of 5 man gear have you guys lost because of this? for me its 2 so far.

PUGing is fail.
gibborim

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:05 pm

Levelled 1-70 in 5-man PuGs... I swear blind those people roll on ANYTHING that's Mail/Plate.

So, probably more then I've won, all told.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

PreviousNext

Return to General