Best grind spot to 78 Baelgun's Excavation Site guide

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Best grind spot to 78 Baelgun's Excavation Site guide

Postby Threatco » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Introduction

This guide is to help people who want to farm exp or gold in this areas thundering cave.

Baelgun's Excavation Site is at the south-eastern coast of Howling Fjord. It is a key grind spot for tankadins because of a quest that is done there that spawns mobs non stop in one spot for you to grind exp and gold on.

The Delicate Sound of Thunder http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=11495

This is an alliance only quest. When someone on this quest uses the Iron Rune Construct to explore the thundering cave, it causes 3 groups of 6 non elite level 69 Iron Dwarf to spawn. http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=24846 One under the statue. One on the high path. One on the low path.

Pictures.

http://e.imagehost.org/0646/hour1.jpg

http://e.imagehost.org/0049/hour3.jpg

How it works

The way it works is that as long as one of the dwarves is in combat they won't despawn. As long as 1 is left alive more will keep spawning every 30 seconds. Up to a maximum of 12.

The ones on the middle give no experience and do not respawn. However the ones on the top and bottom to give normal experience for their level and drop normal humanoid loot. Meaning BoEs, cloth and plenty of gold in vendor trash.

When fighting solo and leveling it's practically impossible to have all the mobs dead at once. That does not become an issue unless there is someone else in the cave DPSing.

They give experience until you reach level 78. About 569 each at level 77.

Directions

The cave entrance is at Coordinates 73,70 on a vertical cliff face The 2 entrances to the cave are both close to each other and somewhere around the middle of the giant cliff face. Easiest way to get to it is to run down the ramps and after a few levels it will be easy to see it. It's towards the northern side of the cliff.

Preparation

Durability and bag space are the limiting factors in how long you can stay camped there. Many things can be done to reduce the damage you take in order to make your gear last longer.

I recommend bringing an piece of gear for everything that can break for every 2 hours you want to grind. And 3 or 4 shields. Vary's based on damage taken.

To avoid damage you can use the ledge in the cave to drop down before healing. This gives you ample time to do 2 holy lights.If you are geared enough to stay full health with just judgement/seal light and without using heal spells your gear will take much less damage,

Another draw back is if you are horde, you can expect to wait a very long time for someone to start the quest for you. Sometimes it seems they come through every few minuets. Sometimes it's actually hours even during busy server times.

Good news for alliance. You can complete the quest objective and still reuse the item in your inventory to start the event any time you wish as long as you don't turn it in the quest.

Taking breaks

You are able to get out of combat and let them reset with their normal leash mechanic to their spawn spots. They won't depsawn until a few minuets after they leave combat.

This is useful for mining the 3 cobalt nodes that regularly spawn in the cave. From your grinding spot your minimap can detect when ever one appears, which happens often.

For extended breaks you can kill all but one dwarf and dance with him alone under the statue to avoid the pat while the rest of thw dwarves stand there. The event won't stop as long as 1 remains alive and in combat.

Original threads

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... 0&start=15

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... sc&start=0

Second version. May be some mistakes. If you have any content/format suggestions feel free to post or send a PM.
Last edited by Threatco on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Well, since this section is supposed to be a dead archive, i'm moving it to General ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Threatco » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Can anyone comment on any mistakes I made or have anything to add? Im sure theres alot of ways to do this area.
Threatco

Postby pacman23 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Do you all remember the Sunken Temple skells that spawned infinetly and went on for years - until a guide was posted and it became common knowledge.

About 2 weeks later it was nerfed.

We have all seen info on this spot posted on this site already and many of us have tried it. I would highly recommend letting these threads die as all the attention will surely bring the nerf bat sooner rather than later.
pacman23

Postby Threatco » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:18 pm

I considered it.

But that kind of discretion could be what kept me from being aware of this until I was 75. Im not active enough (or wasn't) to be aware of most hot topics and even if I did catch a rumor, researching the various bits of info on it from multiple posts into an actionable plan is a pain.

So I am hoping that anyone else who hit 70 and is in here won't have to miss out.

I think blizz all ready knows about it as someone mentioned it was addressed in the beta version very quickly after it was discovered. So I would assume they are going to fix it ASAP in retail aswell, attention or not.
Threatco

Re: Best grind spot to 78 Baelgun's Excavation Site guide

Postby oldboyz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:27 am

Threatco wrote:Introduction

This guide is to help people who want to farm exp or gold in this areas thundering cave.

xp rate is good

very not sure about gold
oldboyz

Postby mandm413 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:05 am

I think the scarlet onslaught area, just north or Naxxramas, is better for drops at 73 and above and about the same for experience. It is also not dependent on the quest being triggered.

All these areas seem to be pretty busy now though as they are being revealed.
mandm413

Postby Sanctity » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:26 am

only 2 spawns, one top one bottom, each of 9 dwarves.

will do a segment on despawning in a subsiquent post

My ABC of Techniques for the Iron Dwarves
Map Key:
blue = dwarf spawn point
grey = Loken (light grey is not solid at ground level)
black = Wall / obstruction

All other colours are places to stand

Ok, when the dwarves spawn for the quest (when a construct walks by) they will run to kneel / pray at Loken. Pull them all to one of the purple points then DPS slowly while waiting for the event to end (denoted by the ‘raid warning’ “the sound of thunder dissipates”). Once it is over kill them down, you will see them re-spawning in the marked areas.

Now that you have them as normal mobs you make a judgement call, how many can you handle? And can you pull continuously? If your gear is fairly weak experiment by pulling one or both packs to the purple marked areas where you are in little* danger of having adds.
*There are 2 iron rune golem thingies that can aggro you; one pats, one spawns down here. They shouldn’t be problematic.

If you want to Loot / need to rest between pulls, use the purple areas. Just move along the wall and make use of the spot between Loken’s legs (0.o!). I used this most of the time because I needed greens to skill enchanting and being able to heal after pulls trivialised it, I was never in danger of death.

If you want more exp per hour, use continuous pulling. Doing this it is very hard to loot, just a heads up. I recommend the spot/s marked in dirty yellow. Stand on the left one and wedge yourself between the wall and the pillar. The mobs will aggro upon spawning; this allows you to ignore people tripping the quest as you will pull them fresh anyway.

The green spot is sorta the same but for the other spawn, I didn’t like this as there isn’t really a place to wedge yourself but if someone is farming spawn 2 or you decide to change the scene slightly here it is. The other thing is that they will NOT consistently pull, only about the bottom 5 are auto pulls and these can chain aggro the rest but most of the time you will have 1 – 2 dwarves idle up the slope. You will need to move forward onto the spot proper if someone trips the quest.

Lastly there is the red spot, this will continuously pull the top 3 from group one with them chain pulling another 3 - 4, this is the most forgiving chain pulling spot, just use the torch to keep the dwarves in your frontal cone. Same issues as with green except it is 2-4 idle dwarves.

However, from this spot a quick turn and you will be able to see and pull the other spawn point with avengers shield and they will (usually) aggro the idle dwarves (and if they don’t just run forward a little way to pull them). This allows you to have command of all the spawns fairly continuously, just note that 2 – 3 different iron rune golem things will aggro you here, just move them into you frontal cone and continue, rune punch is fun :) . Another merit is that if things look bad you can jump down and usually crack off two heals (one if bottom pack is not pulled) before they get to you and you can then either move to the purple or fight them there.

If all else fails it is possible to jump onto the corner pillar (marked black here) and evade all the mobs in the cave, this is easiest from the red spot but I’ve done it from any. This can go wrong but has ~70% success rate. If you die just run back and res in the purple areas. The dwarves will still be there unless the event has happened in your absence.

Good luck! Further info on the spot can be found at:
- will do it later
- will do it later
- will do it later

Sanctity
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Elsie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:33 am

Nice for experience, but nothing beats death knights and malykriss for gold at 80 - sadly. The patterns alone are 100-500g right now, and BoE greens and blue rain down like sleet with some hail now and then.

Although if you are not geared, death knights can easily kill you. The turned heroes are plentiful, also. Basically, icecrown = money.

Although if you are an engineer, there is a certain spot that can make you thousands of gold while mostly AFK in another zone.
Elsie

Postby Sanctity » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 am

My ABC of Techniques for the Iron Dwarves 2
The Dreaded De-Spawn!
More terrible if you are horde (like me).

There are 3 reasons the dwarves will de-spawn once they have been summoned by the event and kept in combat till once the event is finished.

One, inactivity. If out of combat for ~4 minutes they de-spawn.

Two, Wipe-out. If all the dwarves from one spawn point are dead at the same time they will not re-spawn, non issue if you are solo but if you bring dps they must ensure there is one alive at both spawn points.

Three, event trip. If someone starts the event while you are grinding do not casually ignore them, you must take heed! When the event concludes all out of combat dwarves will de-spawn (including corpses) also, all re-spawns during the event will de-spawn after only ~5 seconds! The two main ways round this are:

1.Pull all living dwarves and slow / stop dps till the event is over (“the sound of thunder dissipates”)

2.Move onto one of the spawn point until you are sure you have picked up a dwarf that spawned during the event then go to the other spawn point and do the same, keep these two dwarves alive (if your solo your would be hard pressed to kill them) till the event concludes and they will mean the spots re-spawn, this allows you to keep going but you must be careful!

Take your pick, but don’t make the woeful error of ignoring the event >.<
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby sahiel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:50 am

Elsie wrote:Although if you are an engineer, there is a certain spot that can make you thousands of gold while mostly AFK in another zone.

Tell me more, tell me more ;)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Threatco » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:33 pm

Three, event trip. If someone starts the event while you are grinding do not casually ignore them, you must take heed! When the event concludes all out of combat dwarves will de-spawn (including corpses) also, all re-spawns during the event will de-spawn after only ~5 seconds!

Quick correction. It only sometimes despawns corpses. And I have never seen in combat dwaves despawn. Basicly if you are doing this when someone starts the event. All 3 groups will spawn on top of the ones you allready have, causing you to end up with a lot on you.

As long as you arn't near the statue to get the middle group its not a big issue.

As for gold.. wow. The only limitation is my server lag. I never run out of corpses to loot and I loot every 1-2 seconds for atleast 20 silver.

I just spam right click with auto loot on while doing roation in other hand. I even had my gf do it for a while and she doesent play wow. Its easy.

I had to set up a system with a friend to come pick up loot and sell it for me as I would fill my bags with DE mats/cloth and 4+G value greys within an hour.

I didn't do the math but I say I was making over 300G an hour, and that while watching tv barley looking at my wow screen, and never moving from the 1 spot not for anything (I can handle 18 at a time if quest activation spawns a new set). That was at level 77.

If you have lag under 200ms I would say you would do even better. It's only a limitation on how fast I am allowed to loot the seemingly endless pile of bodies at my feet.

Its nice to see the pure cash in your bag grow. 20 silver every 2 seconds adds up.
Last edited by Threatco on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Threatco

Postby Proudfoot » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:39 am

I tried this today on my blue geared warrior tank... I went splat.
Dear Blizzard, Paper is fine but Rock needs to be nerfed.
Sincerely, Scissors
Proudfoot

Postby Discus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 am

death knights and malykriss for gold

cryptic post - any clues?
Discus

Postby Shirak » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:20 am

Elsie wrote:Nice for experience, but nothing beats death knights and malykriss for gold at 80 - sadly. The patterns alone are 100-500g right now, and BoE greens and blue rain down like sleet with some hail now and then.

Although if you are not geared, death knights can easily kill you. The turned heroes are plentiful, also. Basically, icecrown = money.

Although if you are an engineer, there is a certain spot that can make you thousands of gold while mostly AFK in another zone.

Yes please do tell, A pm would be fine if you wanted to keep the info secret.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Next

Return to General