Remove Advertisements

Post Your Successes!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Mithos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:50 am

Hmm, my personal success came before TBC really...I got TF, started building tank gear, and then slowly turned the entire server palatank friendly, or at least palatank accepting. Had a lot of interesting whisper conversations though, *random player thinks to self* "Hey, that warriors got Judgement shoulders. *ponders*. WTF??".

The first thing I officially MT'd was Golemagg in MC. I had Zulian Defender (ZG blue caster shield), 4/5 Deathbone (scholo), a variety of other blues and Judgement pieces. The rest of the guild outgeared the instance, but I didn't in my tank gear. My successfully doing this probably turned the opinions of the guild the most.

Then it went onto saving wipes at broodlord, firemaw, even nefarian, in my crap blue gear. Back when TF had its threat per proc value massive, and when SoR used to proc extra TF procs, my threat was insane, I couldn't attack a lot of the time else I would have not been able to control the threat. My finest moment pre TBC was probably leading the tanks on trash in Naxx. I had a variety of non warrior specific tank gear from AQ40, including the Blessed Qiraji Bulwark and the wonderful Styleen's Impending Scarab, which I have only just recently replaced <3 (I may end up reequiping it when my avoidance starts to get too high or something, dunno, but like hell am I gettign rid of either of them), and was trash MT for the limited time we were in there.

Soon as patch 2.0 was announced along with Tier 4/5 where you could pick which set you wanted, I think i wet myself. Been waiting for that moment for around 1 year and a half :P. <3 TBC.
Mithos

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:10 am

Well, it's a bit late, but on Monday we had a fantastic Nightbane kill. The way I rate Nightbane kills is by Fears Per Transition (FPT). This one was a 0.5 FPT which is pretty damn fantastic, and I <3 all my DPSers for that one.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby TheCapn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:44 am

Hey, new to the forums, new to tanking, new to the class. I've learned alot while lurking.

Anyway, I'll give a little background story before I post my minor sucess. I've played a healer (priest) and two DPS Classes (Shadow Priest and Mage), and you know, you get bored after a while, so I had been thinking of rolling a tank (Warrior, I mean they are best tanks amirite?! =p). So I mention paladin tanking in vent one day, and everyone was like "lol pally tank, yeah right." However, I had rolled a character on one of the servers that were released with the Burning Crusade, so all we had were paladins, and they all tanked fine.

So the reaction from my guild ranges from "I don't know why you're wasting your time" to being hesitant at best. Not to mention I have yet to see a protection paladin do any worthwhile tanking on my server (Altar of Storms). So, I figured I would rise to the challenge (and satisfy that need to play a tank).

So, on to the minor success I had over the weekend.

A warrior whispers me "Hey, want in on BFD? We have a 30 warrior and a 28 druid."

I reply "Sure, I'd prefer to tank, you can DPS if you'd like, but if you need to me heal, that's fine too."

Warrior replies "Well, you're basically here for your rez. And I believe I have the advantage in the tanking department."

/ouch

So, I go along anyway, hard to find groups these days for low level instances. I end up DPS'ing the whole time with my Sword & Board (Lawl). But when we get to the last boss, I tell the warrior I'm gonna fight him for threat. I end up holding aggro on the boss the entire fight, fight goes off without a hitch. Successful run, Warrior says "Wow." Yeah, it's not tanking Illidan, but at least I showed that warrior that it is, in fact, possible for paladin's to tank.
TheCapn

Postby Warrender » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:01 am

Got T4 Legs and Hammer of Naaru for free. My guild doesn't do DKP for Gruul or Mags any more so I just had to win the rolls.

Got T5 Gloves off Leo but no sword drop. :x

With the legs and gloves, I'm on my way to building a pretty decent threat set. I really should get off my keister and run some Heroics to craft Boots of the Protector as well.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Mortehl » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:11 am

TheCapn wrote:So the reaction from my guild ranges from "I don't know why you're wasting your time" to being hesitant at best. Not to mention I have yet to see a protection paladin do any worthwhile tanking on my server (Altar of Storms). So, I figured I would rise to the challenge (and satisfy that need to play a tank).

Hey, I grew up on AoS before I transferred. Its just a hostile server IMO. But yeah, I was tanking all of Kara before I left.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby kvark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:38 pm

whoppeeeeee

gruul downed for the first time in our guild. Server first using 2 pallies as MT / OT =)
kvark

Postby Rainge » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:35 am

On Tuesday, I got my T4 tanking shoulders from HKM and my GM crafted me a Belt of the Guardian. On Wednesday, Nightbane was kind enough to drop my shield.

Best of all, I spent no dkp in the process (I already had T4 healing shoulders, we don't charge for vortexes, and Kara isn't on dkp). In the last week I've gained about 1k health (cracked 13k unbuffed), 50 spelldamage, and around 115 block value (which one of my usual heroic healers said made a very noticeable difference in the damage I take).
Rainge

Postby Parth » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:57 am

Got to tank hydross's adds today [normally we use 2 druid tanks]

Felt great to be actually tanking for a boss fight rather than healing... because normally the only boss fight i tank for is tidewalker.. maybe mag sometimes if we dont have enough tanks
Parth

Postby Zoggling » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:29 am

Woot, I'm sure I'll be posting here far more often...

But last night was a huge night for me, I got my first official increase in reputation (Went from Neutral to Friendly with Thrallmar), I got level 60, and I got my epic quest mount!

(NOTE: Sorry Lore for not posting this originally in this thread. It was nearly 3 in the morning, and I was happy, excited, and about to pass out all at once)
Zoggling

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:21 am

Monday I get my Vengeance Card, and hopefully have my Netherdrake by then.

Hopefully.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Stupendous » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Got my doomplate chestguard finally :P too bad no ring yet. Only reason I've even looked at arc since I got exalted
Stupendous

Postby Jensaarai » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:52 pm

Well, we got Morogrim down in 3 days of tries, overall after a week (Th-Th). I found I wanted more spell damage ^_^ so over the weekend and on Tuesday I recieved my tier 4 gloves, tier 4 pants, and the Eye of Magtheridon :) this gear + a wizard oil put me over 500 spell damage for the fight, and yesterday we ripped Morogrim a new one and downed him almost flawlessly (8.4k HP mage died in a grave >.<) on our 3rd try (me tanking all the Murlocs, of course). Good times :twisted:
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

combat log diving for fun and profit

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:40 pm

Finding stuff like this in the combat log is fun.

8/30 22:19:28.437 You gain Holy Shield.
8/30 22:19:28.812 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
-----
8/30 22:19:30.390 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
8/30 22:19:30.703 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You parry.
-----
8/30 22:19:31.937 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
-----
8/30 22:19:32.812 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
8/30 22:19:32.828 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
-----
8/30 22:19:33.890 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
-----
8/30 22:19:34.156 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You parry.
-----
8/30 22:19:35.546 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
-----
8/30 22:19:36.859 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
-----
8/30 22:19:38.218 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
8/30 22:19:38.562 Holy Shield fades from you.

Finding stuff like this, however, is scary:

8/30 22:19:27.000 Holy Shield fades from you.
8/30 22:19:27.609 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You parry.
8/30 22:19:27.609 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
8/30 22:19:27.687 Prince Malchezaar gains 2 extra attacks through Thrash.
8/30 22:19:27.718 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You parry.
8/30 22:19:27.718 Prince Malchezaar attacks. You dodge.
8/30 22:19:28.437 You gain Holy Shield.

I blame the GCD.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby adese » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:39 pm

My guild just killed High King Maulgar for the first time tonight (joined a new guild recently). I was the MT, and the main healer said that it was the smoothest healing of a MT he had seen. :D
adese

Postby Shamas » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:12 pm

I finally hit 505 def for uncrittable, and am sitting at slightly above 9400 HP. =) I am trying to figure out what exactally I add into figuring out uncrushable...HS +Dodge + parry + block + 5 miss? thats all there is right?
Shamas

PreviousNext

Return to General