Remove Advertisements

Post Your Successes!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Successes!

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:35 pm

hell i found out about wow through a co-worker at my last job, and i just put in an application that would lead me to being roommates with 2 fellow gamers

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

halabar wrote:Depends on the culture of your workplace. Some people at work know I play WoW, but I would never directly tell my boss about it. She's the type who would bring up the associations mentioned above.

Also depends on your age. If I was 25, it might be a lot more accepted. But I'm not 25 anymore..

But don't you want to destroy those associations? Assuming you are a relatively normal human being, who doesn't live in their parents' basement, makes a living, shows up for work responsibly, etc. If you're all of those things, you're the kind of person that can break those associations and create acceptance for something that is often kept in the closet.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
halabar wrote:Depends on the culture of your workplace. Some people at work know I play WoW, but I would never directly tell my boss about it. She's the type who would bring up the associations mentioned above.

Also depends on your age. If I was 25, it might be a lot more accepted. But I'm not 25 anymore..

But don't you want to destroy those associations? Assuming you are a relatively normal human being, who doesn't live in their parents' basement, makes a living, shows up for work responsibly, etc. If you're all of those things, you're the kind of person that can break those associations and create acceptance for something that is often kept in the closet.

You need to have a context for doing so... especially in an "old" corporate culture. Looking back to the Tea Party bashing of that one state representative candidate, a lot can get taken out of context. Especially when the gamer in question is over 40.. "You STILL play computer games?...".
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Had one guy at work who had heard one of the people in Purchasing plays computer games with his wife, and kept on bringing it up because he just couldn't get over how "weird" that was.

I don't really talk about it myself. I have mentioned it, but re: Nika's bit about breaking stereotypes: I'm a socially awkward loner who lives with his parents. :lol:
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Had one guy at work who had heard one of the people in Purchasing plays computer games with his wife, and kept on bringing it up because he just couldn't get over how "weird" that was.

I don't really talk about it myself. I have mentioned it, but re: Nika's bit about breaking stereotypes: I'm a socially awkward loner who lives with his parents. :lol:

same here

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Does it still count if you're the one that owns the house?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:33 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:

You just bought your own place!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Yeah, but I'm not living there yet. :P

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Amirya » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm

In my case, I live with my mother (and help pay bills, pay her rent, etc) because a single near-60 year old woman does not need to be banging around a 5 bedroom house by herself. No one questions that when I explain why I'm living with her. Plus, in her culture, it's kind of weird and irresponsible to not care for your parents after they spent your whole life caring for you.

I don't broadcast I play WoW, but if someone asks, I'll mention it (ie: "You look tired!" "Oh, yeah, stayed up late playing a game." "Oh, what game?" "Warcraft."). Doesn't seem to be a big deal, but I suppose if they think it's weird, it's because I'm already kinda known to be weird lol
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I have a collection of 'wierd' hobbies for an early 30s male: Basically meaning they don't involve watching stuff on TV and drinking beer, from what I've gathered from interactions. But I've also got a family, a house, a job and a couple degrees and other such popular metrics of 'a life'.

I've long since stopped caring if one of them comes up and people balk at my straight answer of basically 'Yep. That's what I do.'. Sometimes, they are curious and ask questions. Sometimes they don't care one lick. The other times I just let them live with whatever cognitive dissonance I may have caused them.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Had one guy at work who had heard one of the people in Purchasing plays computer games with his wife, and kept on bringing it up because he just couldn't get over how "weird" that was.

This.

benebarba wrote:I have a collection of 'wierd' hobbies for an early 30s male: Basically meaning they don't involve watching stuff on TV and drinking beer, from what I've gathered from interactions. But I've also got a family, a house, a job and a couple degrees and other such popular metrics of 'a life'.

Also this, but those weird hobbies can sterotype you in some organizations.

benebarba wrote:I've long since stopped caring if one of them comes up and people balk at my straight answer of basically 'Yep. That's what I do.'. Sometimes, they are curious and ask questions. Sometimes they don't care one lick. The other times I just let them live with whatever cognitive dissonance I may have caused them.

If they don't happen to have any involvement in what might effect long-term employement, then yeah... :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Andurin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 am

On the work + gaming content:

My direct supervisor had to ask around when one solicitant (now co-worker) actually listed MMO gaming on his resume. So after I explained that in detail to him, he got the connection that I played it to, and basicly said that I was going to train him the first month since we got the same hobby... (Turns out we also visit the same fantasy-related events and he is a volunteer for the amusement park halloween team. So he plays zombie / vampire 3 weekends a year.)

Besides him we got a hired designer who plays wow and guild wars 2 aswell, so sometimes we get quite nice conversations during breaks with everyone else looking like: WTF are they talking about.

But the whole company looks like that every break time aswell... When we play Munchkin (Dungeons and Dragons spinoff card game).

My success: Running around trough Molten Core as a fire mage just didnt want to work. Good thing I remembered my frost spec after only 2 bossess where dead... Also Elgalon in LFR gave me a belt for the main roll, and the trinket for the bonus roll ^^ I gues thats the reward for killing 6 sets of the little floating balls the first time they came around ^^
Andurin

Postby valura » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:54 am

Amirya wrote:Gaming isn't a hobby, it's a Bad Destructive Habit. Everything that goes wrong in the world is due to gaming. Plus, all gamers are Psychopaths and Sociopaths, Socially Awkward Misfits, and have Hidden Anger Issues.

We Just Don't Know It (or Won't Admit it).

(Personally, I will mention it, but I don't broadcast it.)

Does it count if you're actually a certified sociopath? Do I have to quit gaming now, since I somehow enforce the misguided beliefs of the uninformed masses? Or should I go find out who they are and kill them in their sleep? No wait, that's psychopaths, right? :roll:

Hmm, the house is mine and my 68yo mother and 76yo father live in with me... but I'm still a socially awkward loner... I clearly got to study the stereotype manual some more... I'm pretty sure I must have skipped some chapters :(

Real successes : bonus roll on SoF gave me T14 helm, bringing the set to 3pcs. Acquired rep shoulders and wrists, and got a crafted 496 chest in the pipeline. Also, finished Glorious! just after midnight. Now i only need a decnt (epic) ranged weapon. I would love to get Taoren tonite, but I'll settle for Kung this weekend...
In tribute to the original Paladin, Charles the Hammer Martel (° 688 - † 22 oct 741).
Bohica (90) BM
Kul Tiras >>> Valura (90) Prot | Hashishin (90) Combat | Arishem (90) Blood | Maurgane (90) Frost | Bova (90) Bear |
| Zannah (90) Resto | Farmingbull (76) Resto | Shoju (51) WW | Wærloga (63) Destro | Dejiko (50) Prot |
Draenor >>> Kenesha (90) Resto | Qedesha (80) Disc | Lanthlasa (52) BM | Xiaohongquan (78) WW |

Jebus what a soul crushing procession of Failures, Septic Tanks, Oxygen thieves and Utter Utter retards. - masterpooba
valura
Maintankadonor

Location: outer ring of the 7th circle of Hell (aka Kul Tiras EU - Horde side)

Postby Hespherus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 am

Blade Lord Tayak HC down. Which in conjuction with the Spirit Kings HC kill that we got last week, put us as realm 3rd(well see for how long :), which is as highest as we will ever get at 3 days per week. The other 2 guilds are top 50 guilds world.
Hespherus

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Got lucky and am now at 9/10 Sigils of Wisdom from LFR. Haven't killed Grand Vizier or Wind Lord yet, or done Sha of Fear. With luck, I could be finished and on to the 5.1 stuff tomorrow...

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General