Remove Advertisements

Post Your Successes!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Successes!

Postby Teloc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 am

HAHA, its awesome when work lets you take time off for gaming. My work gave me 3 days off for MOP launch.
Teloc

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am

Treck wrote:
halabar wrote:Did you tell them about that 1-week vacation you'll need in about 3 months when the next raid tier drops? :D

Yes, my boss is also a gamer (fps player tho), so he doesnt mind me taking leave for gaming, or gaming events, problem with patches are that they arnt fully predictable when they will come.
We even have a ps3 in the break room and we talked a lot about gaming in general on the interview and he wished me luck for Sha progress ^^

LOL, you probably gave him some bragging rights then.. "I just hired the main tank dude that got the world first kill in WoW... "
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Teranoid » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 am

Treck wrote:
halabar wrote:Did you tell them about that 1-week vacation you'll need in about 3 months when the next raid tier drops? :D

Yes, my boss is also a gamer (fps player tho), so he doesnt mind me taking leave for gaming, or gaming events, problem with patches are that they arnt fully predictable when they will come.
We even have a ps3 in the break room and we talked a lot about gaming in general on the interview and he wished me luck for Sha progress ^^

Jesus christ I need to change professions :P
Teranoid

Postby Treck » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 am

Teloc wrote:HAHA, its awesome when work lets you take time off for gaming. My work gave me 3 days off for MOP launch.

I still obviously have to use vacation days for it, not just gonna get a few days off for it (unless i can work overtime before or after) but having a boss that understands it rather than thinking its a useless hobby is still very valuable.

halabar wrote:LOL, you probably gave him some bragging rights then.. "I just hired the main tank dude that got the world first kill in WoW... "

He did not know who Method are tho, but he obviously knew about wow and a little bit about that people race for being first (similar to how some people race for achievements or stuff in the fps games)
What I think bought him over at least a little bit if it wasn't secure already was likely that I've been to Dreamhack and Gamescom with Razer and represented the guild there.
Treck

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 am

Treck wrote:
Teloc wrote:HAHA, its awesome when work lets you take time off for gaming. My work gave me 3 days off for MOP launch.

I still obviously have to use vacation days for it, not just gonna get a few days off for it (unless i can work overtime before or after) but having a boss that understands it rather than thinking its a useless hobby is still very valuable.

Indeed..

Reminds me of a funny story... The company I work for has a name that uses 3 common words. As such, there are numerous other uses outside of very similar names. One day my boss and one of the top company lawyers called me in and asked about this other company that was posting recruiting advertisements using our "name" (I'm the web guy, and since this was showing up in some reporting in Google Alerts, they asked me to figure out what this was about). Turns out it was an EVE guild recruiting "miners". Then I had to explain a bit about guilds in such a game, without giving too much away of what I do in WoW. The lawyer still had to be convinced that we shouldn't go after them for using our "name", lol.

halabar

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:06 am

How come you guys don't want people you work with to know what games you play at home?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 am

I forgot to mention but we are now 6/6 in msv and 1/6 in hof...

Normal of course, but we are a small raiding group
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:20 am

That does remind me, anyone seen any scientific averages n gamers? I know there are a lot of numbers being thrown wround, and I "know" that the average gamer is thirty something - just don't have any sources to use.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:47 am

Nikachelle wrote:How come you guys don't want people you work with to know what games you play at home?

Non-gamers don't understand gamers. Especially older non-gamers.

halabar

Postby twinkfist » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:51 am

my girlfriend doesn't understand my love of games at all. she thinks it's a waste of time. when i say, "so i should just sit in front of the tv in my down time?"...i get a dirty look.

actually, most of my friends are not gamers and most don't understand.

on topic. success last night. did sha on lfr...got the tier helm but no axe on extra roll.

did lfr MV second half. got the dps chest from twins and legs from last boss...but had them already so they are going to tanking. finally got the elegon sword on my pally on extra roll.

frustration to follow in frustration thread.
twinkfist

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 am

halabar wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:How come you guys don't want people you work with to know what games you play at home?

So? It's just a hobby, they don't have to understand it.

I just find the less people talk about it, the more they cover it up... the more it becomes a "dirty little secret". I take the personal stance that the more you talk about something, the more it becomes "normal".
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 am

Nikachelle wrote:
halabar wrote:

So? It's just a hobby, they don't have to understand it.

I just find the less people talk about it, the more they cover it up... the more it becomes a "dirty little secret". I take the personal stance that the more you talk about something, the more it becomes "normal".

I wear no pants! Lemme tell you about being pantless, it is awesome!
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Amirya » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 am

Gaming isn't a hobby, it's a Bad Destructive Habit. Everything that goes wrong in the world is due to gaming. Plus, all gamers are Psychopaths and Sociopaths, Socially Awkward Misfits, and have Hidden Anger Issues.

We Just Don't Know It (or Won't Admit it).

(Personally, I will mention it, but I don't broadcast it.)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

I broadcast it. But then again I broadcast everything. My bosses knew very well that I could never, ever stay late on Thursdays because I had a raid to lead right after work. I don't think I would've mentioned it at my job interview, for example, but I don't know how a major hobby would never not come up in casual conversation unless you were actively trying to hide it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Depends on the culture of your workplace. Some people at work know I play WoW, but I would never directly tell my boss about it. She's the type who would bring up the associations mentioned above.

Also depends on your age. If I was 25, it might be a lot more accepted. But I'm not 25 anymore..

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General